Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Dripping from tranny drain plug

Requesting some help from the forum gurus... I followed the DIY instructions from Pelican to change the transmission fluid in my 2008 Boxster 5 Speed. This was about two years ago. Ever since I've had dampness around the transmission drain plug and an intermittent drip on the garage floor. I've tightened the plug to the point where I'm afraid to go any further, going slightly above torque spec. I recently took it to my local German service shop and asked them to look at it. They reported back that there is moisture around the drain plug but it is "tight." Is there anything I can do or am I destined to live with the periodic drip?

Last edited by blueridger; 03-22-2016 at 03:03 PM.
blueridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

Why not pull the plug and collect the fluid. wrap some Teflon tape ( or a higher temp equivalent) around the plug and reinstall. There's no pressure to be concerned with, just temperature.

Bet it'll work!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Does it have a washer? Replace if so. New copper washer.

Did you over fill? 5 speed is supposed to be 11mm low of the hole or something like that?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Why not pull the plug and collect the fluid. wrap some Teflon tape ( or a higher temp equivalent) around the plug and reinstall. There's no pressure to be concerned with, just temperature.

Bet it'll work!
Interesting idea. I'll do some research to see if I can find a high temp version of teflon plumber's tape. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Does it have a washer? Replace if so. New copper washer.

Did you over fill? 5 speed is supposed to be 11mm low of the hole or something like that?
You are correct, according to Pelican DIY article it should be 11mm below the fill hole. I filled to that range. My car is dripping from the drain plug. It has a conical shaped plug and, unfortunately, there is no washer or flat surface to add one.
blueridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Replace the plug? The threads might be a little worn.

It can't be more than 20 or 30 $$'s. Strike that, I lost my focus for a second.....
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post

Bet it'll work!
Have heard several times to NOT use teflon tape. Too hot.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Have heard several times to NOT use teflon tape. Too hot.
As I mentioned, might want to find a high temp version of teflon tape. That being said, I've seen it used on Alfa Spider Cam cover plugs without issue.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote