986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dripping from tranny drain plug (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/60934-dripping-tranny-drain-plug.html)

blueridger 03-22-2016 02:59 PM

Dripping from tranny drain plug

Requesting some help from the forum gurus... I followed the DIY instructions from Pelican to change the transmission fluid in my 2008 Boxster 5 Speed. This was about two years ago. Ever since I've had dampness around the transmission drain plug and an intermittent drip on the garage floor. I've tightened the plug to the point where I'm afraid to go any further, going slightly above torque spec. I recently took it to my local German service shop and asked them to look at it. They reported back that there is moisture around the drain plug but it is "tight." Is there anything I can do or am I destined to live with the periodic drip?

dghii 03-22-2016 05:15 PM

Why not pull the plug and collect the fluid. wrap some Teflon tape ( or a higher temp equivalent) around the plug and reinstall. There's no pressure to be concerned with, just temperature.

Bet it'll work!

Timco 03-22-2016 08:59 PM

Does it have a washer? Replace if so. New copper washer.

Did you over fill? 5 speed is supposed to be 11mm low of the hole or something like that?

blueridger 03-23-2016 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 488490)
Why not pull the plug and collect the fluid. wrap some Teflon tape ( or a higher temp equivalent) around the plug and reinstall. There's no pressure to be concerned with, just temperature.

Bet it'll work!

Interesting idea. I'll do some research to see if I can find a high temp version of teflon plumber's tape. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 488525)
Does it have a washer? Replace if so. New copper washer.

Did you over fill? 5 speed is supposed to be 11mm low of the hole or something like that?

You are correct, according to Pelican DIY article it should be 11mm below the fill hole. I filled to that range. My car is dripping from the drain plug. It has a conical shaped plug and, unfortunately, there is no washer or flat surface to add one.

rexcramer 03-23-2016 05:07 AM

Replace the plug? The threads might be a little worn.

It can't be more than 20 or 30 $$'s. Strike that, I lost my focus for a second.....:D

Tcar 03-23-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 488490)

Bet it'll work!

Have heard several times to NOT use teflon tape. Too hot.

dghii 03-23-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcar (Post 488588)
Have heard several times to NOT use teflon tape. Too hot.

As I mentioned, might want to find a high temp version of teflon tape. That being said, I've seen it used on Alfa Spider Cam cover plugs without issue.