Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Serpentine Belt

Hey all. I have an intermittent squeak. Doesn't happen at idle, but squeaks a bit when I apply a tiny bit of throttle, stops once I get it up to about 2K rpms... These observations only when the car is out of gear (can't really hear it much when pulling away driving). I'm thinking the serpentine belt? Or at least that's a good place to start? I got the car last year and had a decent amount of work done to it, but didn't replace the belt and don't know when if ever it was done. Car has just under 80K on it.

Also, as an aside, is it worth getting the genuine Porsche serp belt, or is an aftermarket fine (genuine is about $52, aftermarkets around $28). Not a big deal spending the extra but wonder if it's even worth it.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
the aftermarket belt is just fine to use.
no reason to spend extra $$ just to have a Porsche part number on it
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Serpentine replacement is pretty cheap and easy to do. You should be fine with an aftermarket belt.
It could be one of the idlers as well. Pull the belt off and run it for a few seconds, and if it doesn't duplicate the sound, you can rule out the belt driven accessories.

Just thinking... if it's kind of an intermittent chirping sound, it may be a loose spark plug.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Could be a pulley or guide bearing.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It could also be a loose spark plug. They are known to make a squeaking noise when you apply throttle.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions and info. I would have never thought of the spark plugs. Had ignition coils last year so I think they replaced the plugs too. Doesn't mean one didn't come loose though of course. Think I will start with the belt (since I don't know when it was last replaced, if ever) and then work my way through the accessories driven off the belt if the belt doesn't fix it. Then spark plugs if i don't get it then. One more piece of info that probably helps diagnose. It doesn't seem to squeak when the car is first started / cold. Only seems to do it after a bit of a drive... So to me maybe the belt is warming up and starting to slip a little?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
Thanks everyone. Good suggestions and info. I would have never thought of the spark plugs. Had ignition coils last year so I think they replaced the plugs too. Doesn't mean one didn't come loose though of course. Think I will start with the belt (since I don't know when it was last replaced, if ever) and then work my way through the accessories driven off the belt if the belt doesn't fix it. Then spark plugs if i don't get it then. One more piece of info that probably helps diagnose. It doesn't seem to squeak when the car is first started / cold. Only seems to do it after a bit of a drive... So to me maybe the belt is warming up and starting to slip a little?
Is possible but in my experience belts slip more when cold than when warmed up
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
the aftermarket belt is just fine to use.
no reason to spend extra $$ just to have a Porsche part number on it
I am pretty sure that the Porsche belt is dipped in unicorn tears and then dried as part of the manufacturing process to provide lifelong lubrication to the belt to prevent squeaking.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote