Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

03 Engine swap question/issue

My 03 2.7 IMSB bit the dust and I am having a shop replace it with a 2.7 from a 05 late year without the serviceable IMSB (thanks Woody!).

The tech swapped most of the non-block parts from the 03, installed a new oil pump, AOS, rebuilt the clutch and flywheel, and mounted the replacement.

Now they can not get it to run. The engine is good (good compression, spark, and fuel) but the cam timing is off.

The tech said it would require transplanting the cams from the 03 (something about a winglet being different) or possibly a DME change or programming.

Before I continue and let the tech change the cams, approx 15 hours of shop time, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any ideas.

I should have just sent it to Jake and did a bigger engine ....

Thanks!
John

littlewiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

A 2003 car would use a 7.8 DME, the 2005 car would have a 7.8.1 DME amongst other differences.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
A 2003 car would use a 7.8 DME, the 2005 car would have a 7.8.1 DME amongst other differences.
Would modifying the harness and putting it a 7.8.1 DME be a better solution than downgrading the engine?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #4

The engine is designed to run with the components it came with, swapping the out individual parts opens an entirely new can of worms, which is why those doing transplants focus on using the newer DME. You also need to know that other systems have changed as well in two years of production, and even how they communicate is different, so you may be in for some additional work.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #5

Garage
Here is my current engine configuration which should debunk some more Porsche you can't myths. I have a 2003 2.7 Boxster. The current motor was a 2004 3.2 from a SE. LN sleeved it in January 2012 to 3.6L. The crank was balanced, new Carrillo H Beam rods. JE high dome pistons JE rings. 12.2-1 compression ratio. 2006 Complete head except the scavenge pumps that were from the 2004 heads. The engine output 310+HP now at the wheels. The DME is the original box flashed with the 2004 SE program, for the 987 intake. With updates for the compression and a few other tweaks. The motor ran when I turned the key the first time with the 2.7 file still intact. The harness is off the 2003 2.7. NO CHANGES IN WIRING

I also am running a 2005 DMFW, Spec Stage 2 clutch set, 2005 5spd transmission. BTW these all just bolted in.

My suggestion is recheck the timming side 1 to side 2 if you can insert the cam tool on both side at top dead center side 2 needs reset.

PS: I have somewhere over 26,000 miles on the configuration and over 7,000 of that is on tracks. Pocono IMSA, WGI, NJMS, and VIR
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-10-2016 at 03:56 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

I love empirical data ....nothing like hearing from someone who has actually done it
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Any progress?

2005 saw a significant of a redesign of the engine, whereas the 2003 and 2004 are basically the same.

I expect that you already have this information from the 101 Projects book and the Pelican Parts tech article:
Quote:
You can swap in any replacement engine of the same displacement from 2003-08 without having to remap the DME. (I.E. a 2003 Boxster 2.7L with a blown motor can accept a 2005 2.7L engine with no remapping needed).
Could this vacuum pump note be part of the problem?
Quote:
Vacuum Pump - Starting in 2005, the Boxster is equipped with a vacuum pump that is powered off of the camshaft. This pump was added in order to provide the engine a more constant source of vacuum, which would be independent of the throttle position and other environmental conditions. When installing one of these vacuum-pump equipped engines into an earlier car, simply hook up the vacuum supply for the brake booster, and the secondary plenum resonance valve to this vacuum source.
Quote:
Engine Oil Dip Stick - 2005 and later Boxsters have no dipstick. Instead the oil level is monitored electronically. When installing one of the later-style M96 motors into an early car, there is typically a black plastic plug that covers the dipstick hole: install your old dipstick into this location. On the M97 motors, there is no mounting boss for the dipstick, so you will have to rely on the instrument gauge.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

I am going to the shop on Monday to discuss this with the owner. I'll post an update as soon as I have something.
littlewiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewiggler View Post
I am going to the shop on Monday to discuss this with the owner. I'll post an update as soon as I have something.
I'd suggest you contact board member Paul, if memory serves, he has had a 2005 3.6L engine running in a 1998 Boxster for some time, so he should be able to point out what he needed to do to get the combo to work.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewiggler View Post
I can suggest someone in SSL if you don't get anywhere with him. Great guy.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote