Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #1

Window Replacement - a nice bit of kit

Hi,

Check out this alternative to replacing your Top if the Rear Window Cracks. It a pretty cost effective alternative to spending $1500 for a new Top when all you need is the window. Check out the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Plastic-Window-911-Convertible_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQitem Z8057928681QQrdZ1

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #2

I thought complete installation requires more than hand sewing.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #3

That does sound like a great cost-effective alternative. I'm curious what the Porsche dealer charges to replace the plastic window. From what I've seen on the boards, it looks like most people are told to replace the top.

Just be aware that the installation is a complete PITA. There's a reason BMW went to zip-in replacements on late-model e30s and the e36, and I'd have to think the difficulty of accessing the plastic window from a 2-seat Boxster would be more difficult than a four seater with fixed rear seats, no headrests and no rollbars.

But even if you take it to a pro, it still is a hell of alot cheaper than a new top. An install of the rear plastic by a BMW dealer would run you 5-600 bucks.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #4

Part of the problem with aging convertible tops though is that they've shrunk. It's cloth after all--it can't last forever.

If your rear plastic window is cracked, I'd take that as a sign that it's time to replace the whole top anyhow.

I guess this kit doesn't have pre-punched holes in the plastic at least, so you should be able to line it up with your existing holes in the canvas, but still... sounds like a stop-gap measure more than a real solution.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Part of the problem with aging convertible tops though is that they've shrunk. It's cloth after all--it can't last forever.

If your rear plastic window is cracked, I'd take that as a sign that it's time to replace the whole top anyhow.

I guess this kit doesn't have pre-punched holes in the plastic at least, so you should be able to line it up with your existing holes in the canvas, but still... sounds like a stop-gap measure more than a real solution.
Hi,

You could be right for some. But, in my case, the Top is down about 90% of the Time, only drive it on Sunny days, and the Car is always garaged. So, at least in my case, the Top has not been subjected to Sunlight and Pollution nearly so much as some others and consequently not deteriorated at all. As this kit has you placing your own holes in the Plastic, it will compensate for any Tops which may have shrunk with Time.

But, run the numbers. If your new Window lasts for say 4 years (I'm in year 7 with my original one - still in good shape), well then at $89 per replacement, you can keep replacing it for 40 years before you even approach what it costs to convert to the GAHH Top - that's a lot of Stop-Gap...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-21-2006 at 05:28 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #6

Here's the guy's website. It's cheaper on ebay though:
http://www.emiata.com/

I was quoted $450 at a local upholstery shop to sew in a new window, but they said it would require removing the top and cutting out the old window, resulting in the new window being bigger than the old one.

The kit doesn't sound like much more than a copy of some instructions, a roll of clear window vinyl (my guess is 1/16"), some glue, thread and simple tools. I can't imagine that kit costing much more than $30-$40 to put together.

I think i'm going to try it within the next few months or sooner if my window cracks or breaks before then.

-Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
If your new Window lasts for say 4 years (I'm in year 7 with my original one - still in good shape), well then at $89 per replacement, you can keep replacing it for 40 years before you even approach what it costs to convert to the GAHH Top - that's a lot of Stop-Gap...
True...but it's also a lot of sewing.

Nah, the only thing I can say against that logic is, "but glass is so nice, don't you think?"

If you never drive it with the top up though, I see your point.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #8

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more.

My rear is simply filthy from possibly tree sap residue. I have no cracks anywhere, but one thing that I'm concerned about is that water started to leak through the border of the window during a car wash (the leak was very minor). I'm guessing that the glue is probably wearing out.

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote