Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #21

Wow, that old thread was rough, car was nice, attitude wasn't, anyway, in terms of a hardtop this my
Tall order wishes:

Has to replace the covertible top not fit over to have low sexy lines
Has to be a targa so I get open top driving when I want
Should not have that ugly side window that tries to resemble a cayman one
Has to have an engine access hatch
Has to retain de OEM trunk lid and stop light
Has to be light and not to hard to install

Hopefuly soon.

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #22

Gee you dont want much haha only joking, we all want something different it seems,
my thoughts were if I was able to use parts of my old roof frame as it is beyond use as a soft top as some of the cross bars melted with the small fire (which wrote the car off)
form the shape with foam and fibreglass it up, then of course all the rest to finish to paint, some of the foam maybe left to shape the inner roof lining and give it strength,
I would want to use a window like the 911 side rear as the shape is more flowing, also the rear window, looking at other cars to see if something would fit the bill, maybe a small euro or jap hatchback could be a donor (ford fiesta early 2000?)
I would be wanting to remove as much of the roof mech as possibe and free up that rear space under the new hatch
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #23

Lot of work to make one of those work
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Thanks Woody! A picture is worth a thousand words and its clear that a 996 top would be a helluva lot of work to make fit on Boxster.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #25

No problem I was curious for myself too. That top was a little beat up but you can still get an idea of the amount work it would take.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #26
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't see modifying a 996 top ever being worth the trouble. That said, it could be interesting if you were building a Spec 986, you could just bend and weld until it fit.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I don't see modifying a 996 top ever being worth the trouble. That said, it could be interesting if you were building a Spec 986, you could just bend and weld until it fit.
I'm not an expert in spec rules yet but I'm almost positive that wouldn't be legal in spec. The pic of the car that started this thread is in World Racing League. They have different rules and are open to a lot more modifications than Spec. Spec mostly only allows modifications to suspension and safety. Otherwise spec has to stay with what came from the factory from 1997-99.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #28

as my dad said, "speak of the devil and in he walks" ...

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/60538-cayman-style-hard-top.html
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #29

Hi everyone, I am new here... dont have a 986 yet but I am it the market for one hopefully this summer! Been looking around for various hard top styles for the last week or so non stop.

Just a summary of the 986 hardtops available

Porsche Oem
Zeintop/Zart - have seen a few years back and glad they are back in business!
D Morris and the English one - they are great finds on this thread and look great with the shortened style.
The custom 911 style one - I think from a forum member here, however, side windows will not work with it, more track oriented
Custom - I heard some owners fiberglassed a 911 and oem 986 one for custom design?

I also came across this one on youtube and found their site, they are based in japan called Porco Rosso - you can youtube it as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/PorcoRossobyINDEX/photos/?tab=album&album_id=229548870500916

Hope this helps in expanding the hardtop knowledge base! Did I miss any? Please let me know!
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #30

The perfect top for a Boxster

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #31
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee View Post

Just a summary of the 986 hardtops available

Porsche Oem
Zeintop/Zart - have seen a few years back and glad they are back in business!
D Morris and the English one - they are great finds on this thread and look great with the shortened style.
The custom 911 style one - I think from a forum member here, however, side windows will not work with it, more track oriented
Custom - I heard some owners fiberglassed a 911 and oem 986 one for custom design?

Hope this helps in expanding the hardtop knowledge base! Did I miss any? Please let me know!
Here's one that you missed, but it's really focused for racing rather than a street car.
New Boxster Hard Top Prototype
Old 02-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
there's also this guy who is similar ...

Hardtop 986 - D. Moris Styling

Wow I love the spoiler design on the "turbo" kit for the 986.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:52 AM   #33
WALDMEISTER

Garage
i found that one on the internet, quite a while ago...

Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post

Lot of work to make one of those work
so not wanting to let this go haha I picked up a mint 996 hardtop for next to nothing with no back window, after plonking it on it seems the windshield frame on the boxster is completely different to the 996, the locating lugs are nearly an inch different and the roof itself is nearly an inch narrower overall than the boxster windshield frame, I always thought they were the same as the 996 vert,
I chopped some of the rear of the hardtop off so it sits lower and it lines up better but the roof lower edge is now 2 inches lower than the boxster trunk, looks pretty neat but, I will get a pic next week.
Cheers Russ...
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty69911 View Post
so not wanting to let this go haha I picked up a mint 996 hardtop for next to nothing with no back window, after plonking it on it seems the windshield frame on the boxster is completely different to the 996, the locating lugs are nearly an inch different and the roof itself is nearly an inch narrower overall than the boxster windshield frame, I always thought they were the same as the 996 vert,
I chopped some of the rear of the hardtop off so it sits lower and it lines up better but the roof lower edge is now 2 inches lower than the boxster trunk, looks pretty neat but, I will get a pic next week.
Cheers Russ...
Because they don't have the same windows. And the 996 Drop top has 4 Windows while the Boxster has 2. You can install 996/Cayman Windows on the 986, but you'll still have a hole open behind them where the 3rd and 4th quarter windows go. And you'll never be able to use the drop top anymore without the windows being down.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Because they don't have the same windows. And the 996 Drop top has 4 Windows while the Boxster has 2. You can install 996/Cayman Windows on the 986, but you'll still have a hole open behind them where the 3rd and 4th quarter windows go. And you'll never be able to use the drop top anymore without the windows being down.
yes I understand the side windows, thats pretty obvious, what I am saying is the front screen and frame is wider by a good amount on the boxster, just thought it was weird,
I thought the whole A pillar and windscreen frame were the same
Cheers Russ...