Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
If you can do your own upkeep repairs, It can be super low cost. I've only replaced a seat belt and the brake pads and rotors. Pretty low cost for 3 years of ownership. Brake kit was a drilled slotted low dollar set on ebay for just over $200. the Seat belt was just over $50. That's cheap! Get on youtube and learn some skills if you wan to keep the cost down on these cars.
Really, not a drop of oil or a filter in 3 years? You could have probably saved the money for the brake job too if you had replaced the seat belt 1st.

I bought my car 10 months ago today, clean PPI, 10 years old, 40,000 miles and 20 service records on the Carfax. In 10 months I've had 3 oil changes, an AOS (bad out of the blue 3 weeks after a clean PPI in Portland, followed up by a clean bill of health from my Local shop when I had the oil changed right after driving it home from Portland), new tires on all 4 corners and alignment at about the 3 month mark, and brake pads and rotors last weekend. I think I'm close to the top end of the 1 to 3 k/ year range near the end of year 1. I did the brake job myself, and pulled the front end apart to clean the radiators about 6 weeks after purchase, all other maintenance performed by my local Indy. But I must say I am loving every minute behind the wheel!

Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #42

I saw them every weekend when I started autocrossing often enough to justify buying a second set of wheels/Azenis. At that stage I was certain my next Porsche was going to be a 1980's Carrera. They were super cheap back then. Mind you this wasn't even that long ago, early 2000's. I met someone who was in the 911 restoration business by chance. He said old Carreras were everywhere, people wanted them out of their yards. LOL. I had my mind set on getting a RS clone in white with tartan seats. But part of me was not looking forward to all the trips to the shop, the oil leaks, hunting down old parts, etc., iffy AC and I kind of wanted a modern hassle free car. So I put off the old Carrera. Then this crazy guy that buys a lot of cars at my local autocross was driving the wheels of this Boxster S. He regularly competed against another member in an E46 M3. They went back and forth every week with nearly identical times. That made me take notice of the Boxster S as more than just a "fun" car. Around that time the British show 5th Gear did an episode on the "the purest sports car you can buy now". former F1 driver Tiff was sliding that Boxster S all around this English track laughing the whole time. They said the Boxster was the best pure sports car you could buy. I started looking for a Boxster nearby that I could drive for myself. And by sheer luck the exact Boxster I was looking for (extremely low miles, 3.2, silver/red) shows up within 10 minutes of my house. I was supposed to see a yellow 996 that was selling for only $10K more that day. After I drove the Boxster S..... I said no way this is all you need. i still remember the intake sound when I peeled out of the lot and the sales guy's eyes popping out. It was his first week on the job. I don't care who you are the sound of that engine running up the gears is like crack. It was the first and only Boxster I drove. Still should have bought that old 911 though. I could have had it for half what I paid for the Boxster and it would be worth twice today! Just wish they were mid engine cars.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-03-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #43
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2speed View Post
I purchased my 01 S about 4 years ago Put on 50k wonderful miles. Always drove 3 or 5 series BMWs before I got this car. Love the Porsche but looking at the deals you can get on 08-09 CaymanS . Hard to resist . One hard top one drop top. Sounds like the perfect garage ....
I came to this same conclusion! So I added a Cayman.:dance:
My love affair of the brand started with a picture of the Porsche 930 evex turbo when I was but a wee lad. Many many years later I got the itch to see what was available in my price range. After seeing what the boxsters were selling for in 2009 basically a song and a dance I bought my 03. Fast forward 6 years and I got that itch again and added the CSS.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #44

Garage
MY02 Speed Yellow

Purchased this two owner car, April 15, 2009. At the time it had just under 38,000 mi, now has 84,000. I started looking for a convertible, that is what I wanted and began by looking at Audi, Mercedes, and really wanted a BMW 3series. My wife passed away in December 2008 and she knew I was always looking for a special fun car. Prior to her passing she had told me to forget the others and get a Porsche, that is what I did. Since then I have enjoyed it immensely. Have learned how to do basic stuff, change my own oil, filter is always clean, and have replaced pads and rotors, replaced brake fluid. Replaced the ignition switch, changed spark plugs. So far it has been an enjoyable learning experience. I plan on keeping for a few more years and then upgrading to an 03/04 S. The early ones just look so cool.
cribfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #45
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Your wife sounds like a great woman, and she was right!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #46

Well, first of all i never wanted a Porsche. I grew up near Weissach - 10 Km away and everbody drove a Porsche in the neighbourhood when i was young. Porsche - no way - boring. Sometimes i could hear the car on the Weissach race track when the wind did blow from west. But not attractive to me at that time.

Than one day - i was about 11 or 12 years old - a friend of my parents (no Porsche employee) visited us with a white 911 from the mid 70ties and i had to sit on the rear seats while we went to i don't know. That was a really great impression - i can still remember that sound in my ears.

Some years later a firend of my parents (and this time a Porsche development engineer) came up with a dark blue 928 GTS with black interior (he allways hat test cars). What a great car with a great exhaust note.

But than Porsche was out of the focus for a long long time. Had some VW and was looking for a convertible for the summer. Checked Honda S2000, Audi TT Roadster, Mercedes SLK, but nothing was fitting to my needs and my length. Tested a Lotus Elise, but i was too long.

So i went to the Porsche dealer and took a seat in a 986. And that really fitted. Did a test drive and was completely exited. That exhaust note and that drivability was really good. Also it seemed to be a very good daily driver and a car you can do long distances. But it was a little bit out of my financial opportunities. So it took a year, and than i signed the contract a bought me a new 986S. Still have it, still love it. Even if it is titeled as a housewifes car over here in Germany - as long as they didn't try to overtake you on a windy alps pass.

And at the end of the day i've also worked for Porsche for some years. So there seems to be something like hidden connection between me and the brand. But have to say that there are also other car manufacturers that build great cars and the quality of the Widekind era sometimes makes me really sad. Yes he saved the company, but the product quality of the cars before his management area was the one that buildt the brand myth.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #47

I was always looking at the classifieds until one day my wife said "why don't you go out and just buy one". I thought it was a 928 I was looking for but when I drove one it wasn't. Jags, 'vettes, S2000s, BMWs, Miata ... none felt right. Some rejected within a block.

And then I drove my first Boxster and bought it. One mile out and drop the top and one mile back and I knew.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
So it took a year, and than i signed the contract a bought me a new 986S. Still have it, still love it. Even if it is titled as a housewifes car over here in Germany
I'm always surprised to hear how Boxster's are seen as a woman's car in Europe. At one time here in America the "chick car" was seen as a convertible. But now the chick or "housewife" car is an SUV. The dream car for most women is probably a Range Rover or Cayenne Turbo. And I really don't recall a time when manual transmission convertibles were popular with women. Stomping on a clutch in heels, changing their own gears while getting their hair all messed up with the top down is probably the exact opposite of what most women see as fun driving. More like a nightmare... I know some British people who say the Boxster is a hair dresser's cars. Which I find funny because my hair dresser drove a tiptronic Carrera Cabriolet. (before he switched to an SUV).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Which I find funny because my hair dresser drove a tiptronic Carrera Cabriolet. (before he switched to an SUV).
Wait a minute...you have a hair dresser??????
Old 02-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I'm always surprised to hear how Boxster's are seen as a woman's car in Europe.
Well this came up around two decades ago when "men" drove a 911 and gave a 986 to their woman as a cute birthday present. Same to Mercedes SL owners and SLKs for their housewifes. Times changed, but the myth is still alive.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
I think you should go for it if you can live with the purchase price, and the estimated $1-3k yearly upkeep. Mine brings a smile to my face every single time I drive it. Worse case is you sell it on and recoup most of your money. If you lose $$, well that was your cost to rent your dream and you'll never say "I wish I would of bought that Porsche."

We "went for it" yesterday, closing the deal on a 2003 S with less than 45k miles. Buddy went to check it out and drive it and texted these simple words: "Buy it." More money than I was originally planning to spend, but I got a lot more car and something that has been taken care of like a baby. Can't wait to for the 4 hour drive home :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. The 30+ year old dream has come true.
XLR8URLYF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #52
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Sweet! But as someone is sure to say "it ain't real without pictures!"
Drive, drive, drive it! If something goes wrong, use the forum. There are so many helpful people here with so much knowledge (not including me )

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Sweet! But as someone is sure to say "it ain't real without pictures!"
Drive, drive, drive it! If something goes wrong, use the forum. There are so many helpful people here with so much knowledge (not including me )

Picking it up tomorrow after being out of town for the last week. Pictures to follow

XLR8URLYF is offline   Reply With Quote