Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Replacing spark plugs

I plan to change my spark plugs on my Boxster s 2004. Can someone tell me if it is easier to access the plugs from under the car or from the wheel wells. Thanks.

1stSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #2

I put jacked up the back end and removed the rear wheels to gain access to the coil packs, which have to be removed.

Be sure to remove and inspect your plug tubes and O rings carefully when you change plugs as they can get cracked and allow for oil leaks. Some guys use a boat transom plug to remove the tubes... they get stuck in there really tight from all the heat.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I put jacked up the back end and removed the rear wheels to gain access to the coil packs, which have to be removed.

Be sure to remove and inspect your plug tubes and O rings carefully when you change plugs as they can get cracked and allow for oil leaks. Some guys use a boat transom plug to remove the tubes... they get stuck in there really tight from all the heat.
Can you give more info on the tube remover thing??

Jon
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Garage
Google boat transom plug, I believe 1" was what I bought. It fits inside the tube, then you crank it tight and it expands to become tight in the tube. Pull it out and the tube should come with.

I did mine jacked up with rear wheels removed.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Can you give more info on the tube remover thing??

Jon
Look here...
Shoreline Marine Twist Drain Plug - Walmart.com

PedrosGarage has a step by step DIY using one of these.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

To the OP - you get to the plugs by both the wheel removal (as per Randall says) for #2, 3, 5 & 6 cylinders and from under the car for the #1 & 4 cylinders - they are the 2 plugs at the front of the engine.
It also helps to remove the plastic wheel arch liners to get access to the coilpacks & plugs.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

You've got a 2004 so no tubes or o-rings to change, just the spark.plug itself. When I did mine I jacked up the car, put on jack stands, removed the wheel and the front fender liner, and the plugs are right there. (fender liner removal to aid in front plug removal)

Steve

Edit: Mine is a 2000 so I did have tubes & o-rings, I got a transom plug but couldn't get it to work (maybe too slippery from leaking oil?) so I used a right angle threaded elbow, I think 1/2" but not sure. Threaded it into the old tube and pulled it right out. Used the other end to push back in. Search my user name for spark plug tubes to find a pic.

Last edited by steved0x; 01-18-2016 at 12:42 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote