Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

ims failure question

Coming back from oil change my boxster made a rattle like a rod knock then died on me. I couldn't turn it over again at all. Now today I got my truck so I could tow it, and out of curiosity attempt to start it, but now it sounds extremely bad. Question is this ims failure or something else. I Also Just Cut Open my oil filter and there's metal shavings everywhere.

This is my girlfriend boxster I was driving since mine died last month

mustang2porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Garage
If the metal is magnetic it is probably from the IMSB. Stick your finger into the hole where the filter mounts & check for metal there too.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
Coming back from oil change my boxster made a rattle like a rod knock then died on me. I couldn't turn it over again at all. Now today I got my truck so I could tow it, and out of curiosity attempt to start it, but now it sounds extremely bad. Question is this ims failure or something else. I Also Just Cut Open my oil filter and there's metal shavings everywhere.

From the sounds of it, this one has joined it.

If the filter is full of metal, don't start it again, you are just doing more damage.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
From the sounds of it, this one has joined it.

If the filter is full of metal, don't start it again, you are just doing more damage.
Doing more damage? So is it savable?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Are you sure the oil change place actually put oil back in the car? It wouldn't be the first time an establishment forgot to refill a car!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
Are you sure the oil change place actually put oil back in the car? It wouldn't be the first time an establishment forgot to refill a car!
Hopefully he went to a place that knows how many quarts it take...lets say there has been cases where only 5qt was but in
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

I personally over watched the oil change since they were the only one open on sundays. 9.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 . Got 4 miles away and two blocks from my house and died while moving and couldn't turn it over several times. But this morning it started but sounds horrible. Like a bad rod bearing or stuck lifter. Something in the middle of the engine is moving around.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Doing more damage? So is it savable?
Depends upon how you define salvageable. The engine will have to come out and apart to see what can be saved.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Did they put the 9.5 quarts in the right hole?

Salvageable means that after a tear down you'll hope to salvage some of the main components.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Another reason to do your own oil changes. i know exactly how much and exactly what I am putting into exactly the right hole. I also cut open and inspect the filter at every change.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Did they put the 9.5 quarts in the right hole?

Salvageable means that after a tear down you'll hope to salvage some of the main components.
With as many miles as you have on this engine, it's not worth it. I believe he has 178k on the odo. You'd be better off getting a new/used engine if you aren't doing a complete teardown and rebuild.

And I've never been able to get 9.5 in. I'd guess that they over filled it if they put that much in. There's always going to be some left even if drained on a lift.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Shoot, you seem to have a Boxster curse!

-Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Shoot, you seem to have a Boxster curse!

-Wayne
Seems like that. Only one of my boxsters I got rid of in perfect condition. Reason being it was a tiptronic and I prefer a manual
Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #14

Sorry to hear that.

what year were the two Boxsters and when was each acquired?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
pjq

The best way I could think of to describe the noise of a failed IMSB is " it sounds like nuts and bolts in a cloths drier going round and round". Terrible noise.

- drop the oil pan to see the amount of extra stuff (metal/plastic) in the pan and pick up screen. Look at the bottom of the engine where the clutch meets the engine block, if its wet in this area that's not good.
The only way to really know if your IMSB has gone bad is to drop the clutch so you can see and access the IMSB flange.

Salvageable - When my IMSB failed the only way I could determine if the engine was salvageable was to dismantle the engine right down to the crank inspecting every piece and determining what was good and what had to be replaced. If the block/cylinders and crank/crank bearings are ok then your lucky it is salvageable (I was lucky). Now how much are you going to spend to rebuild it, because now it is rebuild-able? Is it financially viable to rebuild it? It is going to be expensive to rebuild but you will know the parts that have been added and the overall state of the new engine. If you buy a drop in engine its buyer beware you get what you pay for.

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote