View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
pjq

The best way I could think of to describe the noise of a failed IMSB is " it sounds like nuts and bolts in a cloths drier going round and round". Terrible noise.

- drop the oil pan to see the amount of extra stuff (metal/plastic) in the pan and pick up screen. Look at the bottom of the engine where the clutch meets the engine block, if its wet in this area that's not good.
The only way to really know if your IMSB has gone bad is to drop the clutch so you can see and access the IMSB flange.

Salvageable - When my IMSB failed the only way I could determine if the engine was salvageable was to dismantle the engine right down to the crank inspecting every piece and determining what was good and what had to be replaced. If the block/cylinders and crank/crank bearings are ok then your lucky it is salvageable (I was lucky). Now how much are you going to spend to rebuild it, because now it is rebuild-able? Is it financially viable to rebuild it? It is going to be expensive to rebuild but you will know the parts that have been added and the overall state of the new engine. If you buy a drop in engine its buyer beware you get what you pay for.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote