Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #1

Boxster secrets, I love them :-)

I love stumbling across secrets my 2003 boxster hides, lol. The first was the door pockets, I never knew that the lids flipped up, so that was a good score.

Second was finding the genuine porsche umbrella in the passenger side sill compartment, still in its original case, and has never been opened...nice :-).

Third, the in dash cup holder that actually pulls out to reveal 2 cupholders, that was a surprise, but now I can't use the excuse that I can't get my wife coffee because my car only has 1 cupholder, lol.

And, lastly, when I bought the car the sales slip noted that the toolkit was missing, last night while checking behind the drivers seat what do I find.....the complete, unused toolkit that still has the gloves in it!!!!!

I love my boxster secrets :-)

jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #2

Mine had everything except I have yet to find the umbrella
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

Garage
My cigarette lighter was under the passenger seat. Found it when I replaced the seats.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

in case you don't have all of the items to complete the 03 package, I have the original literature that came with my car, still in shrink wrap (The Porsche letter) and the material that was in the hard plastic case. These things are for sale here:http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/56172-more-boxster-items-fs.html
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I would love to have found the umbrella in mine. I think they are like $85 at Suncoast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

That umbrella was an accessory designed for that cubby in the passenger sill. Someone doing concours with their Boxster would probably love to have it!

If you want to keep that cup holder in pristine condition I would recommend not using it. I broke a small bit on mine, one of the flip down thingies that's compensate for different cup diameters. A new unit is over $300, you can find used ones, which is what I did, but the worst part is disassembling the center dash to replace it! I bought an insert for the center armrest that makes that compartment a 2 cup holder with the armrest cover flipped up. I think I got it from Suncoast for $20 or $30. Holds cups and bottles well but is not an ergonomic place for the driver to put his drink!

Now a real secret is how to get your radio from randomly beeping and showing "NO TP" on its screen. My dealer didn't have a clue and there is nothing in any of the owner's manual or radio manual to explain how to do that! I found the answer on one of the many forums, but I'm at the airport and don't have it with me!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
My experience is NO TP is never a good thing.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
My experience is NO TP is never a good thing.

Keeping a roll in the Boxster doesn't make the radio stop telling you "NO TP" though, ha ha!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Keeping a roll in the Boxster doesn't make the radio stop telling you "NO TP" though, ha ha!
The Tp button I think is the equalizer button. I'd guess something is unplugged behind the head unit.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

After extensive research, the "No TP" message is a code for put your foot down or its going g to get messy :-)
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #11

It is for the Traffic Program-the TP button on the radio is to bring in traffic conditions that are allegedly broadcast by some radio stations and interrupt whatever else you happen to be listening to. I only ever saw it work once, I was way South on the NJ Turnpike about 5 years ago and suddenly my radio tuned to my iPod FM transmitter was interrupted with a local traffic report. Most of the time the radio just randomly beeps and says NO TP unless the function is disabled.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #12

When I did the install for the Short Shifter I found about 15 $1 coins from 2000 jammed up under the original shifter. Seems like the ash tray would allow them to fall down there constantly.

I also found an engine beneath the rear speakers . I think thats when I also found the clear plastic wind block panel behind the headrests in the cubby.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
When I did the install for the Short Shifter I found about 15 $1 coins from 2000 jammed up under the original shifter. Seems like the ash tray would allow them to fall down there constantly.
Me too - I found $A34+cents under the centre console which went towards the 997 shifter....

Back in 2004, I imported a Japanese market MX-5 (Miata) into Australia. I got it through a Japanese auction house who rate the cars 1 thro 5 depending on the quality of the car. When I got it home, it had only travelled 30,000km (18,000 miles) and was near new. Under the ashtray was glued a lucky coin charm (to ward off evil spirits), various Yen coins & notes, an unused condom, a tube of lipstick and behind the seats were all the service records, business card and letters to the original owner from the Mazda dealership thanking him for his purchase (all in Japanese of course, which I had translated).
The biggest find - tucked in under the spare wheel - was a chemical flare for use in an emergency which really shouldn't be there as its an ascendary device.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Copy and paste:

Quote:
With the ignition on (or the engine running) press the 'windscreen vent' and 'recirculation' buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds
The left display (which normally shows climate control temperature) will switch to either a 'c-code' or its associated sensor reading.
If a sensor reading is showing, press the 'central dash vent' button to jump back to the 'c-code' selection
Use the '+ and -' buttons under the left display (normally used to set climate control temperature) to scroll through the 'c-codes' until you get to one you need
Press the 'central dash vent' button to display the associated value for the 'c-code'
Use the 'central dash vent' button to switch between the 'c-code' and value displays
Press the 'Auto' button to exit this hidden function and switch back to normal climate control functionality
The various 'c-codes' and their associated meanings are as follows (yes, the list is far from complete):
0c - ERL
1c - Oil Temp?
2c - Inside temp. Sensor mounted in the aspirator assembly at the side of the dash
3c - Outside temp. Sensor located inside the air inlet of the A/C unit * (see below)
4c - Outside temp. Sensor located in front grill of the radiator * (see below)
5c - Outside temp. (matches OBC outside temp display)
6c - Coolant temp.
7c - Footwell discharge temp.
8c - Sun sensor (dash top)
9c - Sun sensor
10c - Passenger compartment fan speed
11c - Passenger compartment fan voltage
12c - Temperature mix Flap command 1=COLD, 100=HOT
13c - Temperature mix Flap position
14c - Central Flap command
15c - Central Flap position
16c - Footwell/Defrost Flap command
17c - Footwell/Defrost Flap position
18c - Recirculation Valve command 1=OFF, 100=RECIRC
19c - Recirculation Valve position (feedback)
20c - Vehicle speed in kph, updating only once per second. (real speed, not speed+safety margin as in the speedometer)
21c - Engine RPM in hundreds. This too only updates once per second
22c - ?
23c - ?
24c - Sun sensor, exterior lights switch & panel lights control (term. 58 & 58d voltage) - used for A/C panel display illumination
25c - ?
26c - ?
27c - ?
28c - Fan speed?
29c - ?
30c - Engine run time in seconds (255 max.)(=0xff)
31c - Timing counter
32c - Displays test
33c - Software version?
34c - ?
35c - Outside temp. from inlet sensor (filtered?)
36c - temp?
* - The data is fed to the Climatronic from the instrument cluster. When not moving, the instrument cluster OBC temp display retains it's last setting until moving. This is to prevent heat emanating from the radiator affecting the temperature sensor. The A/C unit uses the lower of the two outside air temp values in determining fresh-air temp.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:23 AM   #15

The umbrella is an accessory from the dealer. I bet the previous owner bought it and left it there.

It's a neat little thing. It always impress passengers.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #16

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
copy and paste:
now that is cool!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Copy and paste:

Wait, are you saying I can get OAT displayed without (on the climate control) the OBC enabled?

That's really all I want out of the OBC function. I have on 03 and I needed stalk or switch to get it, or do I misunderstand.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #18

The way I understand it, if you get the OBC enabled you will get the OAT displayed by default, but without a stalk/switch you won't be able to toggle to show any of the other functions.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
The way I understand it, if you get the OBC enabled you will get the OAT displayed by default, but without a stalk/switch you won't be able to toggle to show any of the other functions.

I recall reading that after 2000 or similar, that you could no longer get OAT on the gauge cluster without a stalk or wired switch. If I could get it by pressing a few buttons on the climate control, I'd be satisfied.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Copy and paste:
I could not get this to work on my S today ????

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote