Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 04:29 AM   #21
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I find if I leave my top down I get 2 circles in the canvas. Once in the garage the top goes up. I usually drive it in as soon a I get home unless going right back out.
Any idea what causes those circles??? My 13 year old car's top is in OK shape. No rips, but definitely some wear on the rear quarters.

For cold storage, I leave my top up. I think keeping it tight seems better than storing it with the folds. Also keeps dust level down. During the warmer times I usually leave it down.

I also give it a good RaggTopp cleaning with a horse hair brush, followed by the waterproofing treatment - especially on the wear areas and seams.

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #22

Top down in summer

My '02 has almost 80,000 miles and when the weather is good I leave the top down in the garage and outside I have a cockpit cover. Yes it does get a little dusty, but I have never had a problem with the top mechanism and my to and rear window are in good shape (I always wet wipe the plastic window clean and dry before lowering).
So, I guess it depends on what bothers you more-the potential for mechanism failure or top circles.
Tom
tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #23

Garage
Mine is down most of the summer, even if it's in the garage. It has the slight wrinkle and circles, but I figure less wear and tear on all the convertible motor mechanisms is better. I have the glass window so that's not an issue.

FYI - The circles are from the rubber support mounts under the clamshell/cover.

tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #24
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
Mine is down most of the summer, even if it's in the garage. It has the slight wrinkle and circles, but I figure less wear and tear on all the convertible motor mechanisms is better. I have the glass window so that's not an issue.

Mystery solved. Like crop circles, there had to be an explanation.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #25

Garage
Always put it up once I put it away. All the wear I see is directly due to the fold across the back from top down
Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #26

Top down all summer, then back up in the fall. I have the humps, so it's a hassle to raise the top. I heard it's bad to keep the top down - stretches something?? - but I haven't had any issues.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #27

Depends on the type of rear window. To store the plastic one down for a long time, put a soft felt cloth between the folds so the layers of clear plastic don't abrade against each other and leave marks. Yea that means getting out when it is about 70% down and placing the cloth between the folding window sections.

Clean both inside and outside of the plastic about every 6 months with something designed to clean and polish the plastic. You have to be a contortionist to do the inside but it is worth it in window longevity and looks. I used Novus 1,2,3.

I'd even leave the top down in a Walmart's parking lot. Never had any bad experiences despite living in a less lower average income town.

Top up and under a cover but outside during the winter when the SUV gets the garage space.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Depends on the type of rear window. To store the plastic one down for a long time, put a soft felt cloth between the folds so the layers of clear plastic don't abrade against each other and leave marks. Yea that means getting out when it is about 70% down and placing the cloth between the folding window sections.

Clean both inside and outside of the plastic about every 6 months with something designed to clean and polish the plastic. You have to be a contortionist to do the inside but it is worth it in window longevity and looks. I used Novus 1,2,3.

I'd even leave the top down in a Walmart's parking lot. Never had any bad experiences despite living in a less lower average income town.

Top up and under a cover but outside during the winter when the SUV gets the garage space.
X2 for Novus system. I use it along with plexus and mine still is.very soft and in great shape.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #29

top up too many wrinkles otherwise
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #30

Garage
I leave my down unless I'm leaving it for an extended period. Mine is not electric anymore though so it's more work to go up and down.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #31

Mine's down pretty much all spring/summer/fall - usually only the weather or a long stop will cause me to put it up.

It gets enough of a stretch being up all Winter.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post

I have driven my car every weekend for nearly 12 years. And I abide by the strict rule of top down if the ambient temp is above 60 F.
I've not had to replace a single mechanical part of the top mechanism. Porsche did a good job in this area.
You are better off protecting the canvas by leaving it fully taught. IMO, a smooth wrinkle-free top in the up position makes this car look fantastic.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-11-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #33

Garage
The top was already wrinkled when I got it, and has held up quite well. If I had it new, I'd likely have taken better care of it. The wrinkles don't bother me, it's not a show car, and you only see them in winter daylight. At night it looks the same as yours, and in summer it's down unless it's raining. I'm more concerned about the motors/gears being 13 years old than how it looks with the top up, which is not nearly as good as with the top down.

If I'm not mistaken, you're on your second top, correct P-Lap? What happened to the first one?

tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote