Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

heater not "crispy" enough

hi guys,

a couple of days ago it got a bit chilly as i was leaving work at night and since i want to stay true to my "top always down" motto (Florida) i dropped it and figured its a good time to test the heater (which i never did in 10 months of ownership).

i was a bit surprised to see it wasnt really blowing all that hot. the engine was warmed up properly and with the setting on HI and fan at full blast i was getting "warm" air coming out but not the "crispy" air i was expecting. my old S2000 would cook your knuckles and i could never keep it on hi blast or i would sweat even with the top down in the mountains in Nov.

i did notice the more i had the heater on the warmer it got. with the top up the heat would be adequate i'm sure.

Is the heater supposed to do a better job or is that all it's got? does it have anything to do with the fact it has probably never been used? Not a lot of opportunities to use it in Florida but i might plan some trips up north during the cold season.

thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
hi guys,

a couple of days ago it got a bit chilly as i was leaving work at night and since i want to stay true to my "top always down" motto (Florida) i dropped it and figured its a good time to test the heater (which i never did in 10 months of ownership).

i was a bit surprised to see it wasnt really blowing all that hot. the engine was warmed up properly and with the setting on HI and fan at full blast i was getting "warm" air coming out but not the "crispy" air i was expecting. my old S2000 would cook your knuckles and i could never keep it on hi blast or i would sweat even with the top down in the mountains in Nov.

i did notice the more i had the heater on the warmer it got. with the top up the heat would be adequate i'm sure.

Is the heater supposed to do a better job or is that all it's got? does it have anything to do with the fact it has probably never been used? Not a lot of opportunities to use it in Florida but i might plan some trips up north during the cold season.

thanks,

Cristian
From what I've read, you may not have a properly "burped" cooling system. Making sure you get all the air out may make a difference for the heating...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Have you noticed any bits of foam blowing out of the vents? This is a common issue on older cars - especially those in the South, I'm told. The mixer flap in your car may have old foam that is deteriorated, leaving open holes that don't separate the hot from cold air - hence the "luke warm' feeling.

This happened to my car that was bought in FL - see this thread:

Interior vent debris
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Have you got the low temp coolant valve installed.

It sends coolant to the radiators at a lower temp so I expect the lower coolant temps would also be noticed on you heater.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Have you got the low temp coolant valve installed.

It sends coolant to the radiators at a lower temp so I expect the lower coolant temps would also be noticed on you heater.
Actually, the low temp thermostat does not noticeably reduce the level of heat the car produces. The most common comment we get from customers in the winter is that the car appears to produce heat quicker, which is probably as the result of the coolant going into full circulation sooner.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Have you noticed any bits of foam blowing out of the vents? This is a common issue on older cars - especially those in the South, I'm told. The mixer flap in your car may have old foam that is deteriorated, leaving open holes that don't separate the hot from cold air - hence the "luke warm' feeling.

Interior vent debris
oh yes i have plenty of those. as a matter of fact when i put the fan on full blast there was so much of the foam coming out that i got a good amount on my shirt and worst in my eyes. i also know its clogging my flaps because i can hear the motors trying to move them sometimes. when the foam moves along the sound stops.

i will check out your thread thanks! i am not too keen on gutting the dash though..
Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Actually, the low temp thermostat does not noticeably reduce the level of heat the car produces. The most common comment we get from customers in the winter is that the car appears to produce heat quicker, which is probably as the result of the coolant going into full circulation sooner.
that was my understanding of the low temp thermostat as well. i have the regular (think original one) but the car was fully warmed up and still not making enough heat.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
oh yes i have plenty of those. as a matter of fact when i put the fan on full blast there was so much of the foam coming out that i got a good amount on my shirt and worst in my eyes. i also know its clogging my flaps because i can hear the motors trying to move them sometimes. when the foam moves along the sound stops.

i will check out your thread thanks! i am not too keen on gutting the dash though..

You will access the mixer flap under the wiper cowl in front. It does involve taking quite a bit of stuff of to get to it, but not really too difficult. I'm not much of a DIY guy and I did it. My problem was putting it back together - I must have broken a plastic bushing near the servo under the passenger dash.

There are instructions written by Meir, but I don't have them handy.
Search for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
You will access the mixer flap under the wiper cowl in front. It does involve taking quite a bit of stuff of to get to it, but not really too difficult. I'm not much of a DIY guy and I did it. My problem was putting it back together - I must have broken a plastic bushing near the servo under the passenger dash.

There are instructions written by Meir, but I don't have them handy.
Search for them.

ok now that sounds doable, i think i will give it a shot when i have time. i'm tired of the foam in my eyes and once that stuff gets on my grey carpet and someone steps on it it stains for good and looks like dog poop, i already have a corner i cant get clean.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I hear you! That stuff gets everywhere.

Why they put holes in the mixer door is anyone's guess. You also might try closing off all vents, opening one at a time, hooking up a vacuum hose, and turning the fan on high. Won?t solve your heat problem, but helps get rid of some of the loose foam.

At least your in FL!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:

Why they put holes in the mixer door is anyone's guess. You also might try closing off all vents, opening one at a time, hooking up a vacuum hose, and turning the fan on high. Won?t solve your heat problem, but helps get rid of some of the loose foam.

At least your in FL!

great tip! i'll do that sooner rather than later.last time i had the fan on high it felt like driving through a swarm of mosquitoes with no windshield... spitting all the way!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
1999 base

Garage
Quote:

At least your in FL!

the reason for the hols is (my guess) to reduce the wight of the flap.
best way to clean the flakes, is to remove the AC air ducts on the driver side, and vacuum the air box.
best results if you remove the heater core as well (not to big of a project) and clean the box on that side as well.
however, the heater will be effective again only after reforming the flaps.
i'm on the fence right now if to repeat that project on my 996. with the Boxster it was a no brainier as the evaporator was leaking, and the AC didn't work.
not sure if i want to go thru all that trouble just to fix the heater for the 2 weeks of cold weather we have each year.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
the reason for the hols is (my guess) to reduce the wight of the flap.
best way to clean the flakes, is to remove the AC air ducts on the driver side, and vacuum the air box.
best results if you remove the heater core as well (not to big of a project) and clean the box on that side as well.
however, the heater will be effective again only after reforming the flaps.
i'm on the fence right now if to repeat that project on my 996. with the Boxster it was a no brainier as the evaporator was leaking, and the AC didn't work.
not sure if i want to go thru all that trouble just to fix the heater for the 2 weeks of cold weather we have each year.

Meir knows best!

Hey, how's it going with that 996? Miss the wind in you hair???

Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
1999 base

Garage
[QUOTE=grc0456;479165]Meir knows best!

Hey, how's it going with that 996? Miss the wind in you hair???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

loving it.
if to be honest i was never a convertible guy , but i can still drive the boxster whenever i want.
my frind who i sold the car to, is hardly using it
but lets behave and not hijack this thread.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:

Interior vent debris

THIS!

I had that exact issue last winter and that's what it was. The hot and cold air were mixing because the foam insulation that covered the holes in the blend-door-box was shot (gone).
Even more sure of that theory since you are getting blasted with projectile foam.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 01-07-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:24 AM   #16

thanks for the great answers guys! i will read up and give it a shot, i'll clean it up and replace the foam.