Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Restoring Trunk Release Handles

I bought this unit from Woody (Itsnotanova). His very honest description was that it "looks worse in person." I'm using it in my memory seat project.

I sanded the plastic part and painted it with Krylon Fusion Satin Black. It has a bit more gloss than the OEM finish, but it is a pretty close match.

I'm now exploring options for restoring the handles. It may not show too well in this photo, but they have surface scratches and pitting.

I found this post on Rennlist in which a 996 owner painted the handles:

My weekend mod - release latches - Rennlist Discussion Forums

However, the handles appear to plated. I'm not sure if they are chrome or some other finish. There are a couple of shops in the area that offer chrome plating. I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to explore plating the pieces. I would also like to know if there are other finishes since they don't appear to be highly polished chrome.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Somebody has found the right paint code for the "alumna-look" finish. I can't recall which forum but if you find the right word for "aluma-look" and then search on that, I bet you will find it. I don't think.it is chrome.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

I found a shop that will re-plate them in a satin finish for $40 each. I've never had anything plated before, but that sounds a little pricey, so I may look at other options. Does anyone know of on-line services that can do a good job at a better price?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #4

I decided to have the handles powder coated. A local shop did it for $50. It came out pretty well. I wouldn't call them perfect, but they are much better than the set that I painted myself.

Another board member had previously sent me some decals to apply designating the handle for the front and rear trunk.

While not a necessity, I think they look better than leaving the spots blank.

I also refinished the plastic part using spray paint. I first tried Krylon Fusion satin, but that was too shiny. I followed up with Krylon Maxx matte and it is an excellent match for the rest of the trim in the car. If the Krylon Fusion matte finish is available in your area, I think that would be all that you need.

I am pleased with the results and I will be monitoring the work for durability. It is in a vulnerable spot from the perspective of a careless foot being dragged over the plastic or the metal.

If anyone else is interested in having their handles powder coated, the shop owner told me that he would work with folks over the Internet. Send me a PM and I will provide you contact information.