Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #101
Ben-Auto-Design

It looks very nice !

Can you take pictures to see how it looks as a whole ?

Ben.

Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Thanks for considering

I bet it is appealing to your eyes, it’s the same as yours Just upside down (no downforce). The idea was to keep the flow from the back bonnet going really. Speed limits here are 80km/hrs max so downforce is not a mandatory feature let’s just say.
What if your design creates lift? Without testing, how might you know one way or another?

Last edited by VGM911; 01-25-2016 at 04:54 PM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM911 View Post
What if your design creates lift? Without testing, how might you know one way or another?
It would cost me much less in gasoline isn’t it! Speaking for myself only, I drive a little 200hp roaster/Boxster car on speed-limited public roads only. It just got to look good lolll

Specific to your question; I don’t really care mate. And that answer is pretty consistent with what our friends at Porsche R&D and MechEng dept formulated already. You can do quick math using the gravitational force formula where your car’s weight being y

Google “aerodynamic force formula”, now that formula overrides gravitational force for mass traveling at speeds at & above 120km/hr. That very same old physic formula our good friends at Porsche uses. Certainly something to be concerned about, now that I don’t deny. Did read once or twice that gravitational force starts to get pretty messed up when mass travels at speed. A fact lolll
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #104

I can trow in more renderings showing a clearer representation of the full '40' degree slope if needed.

(lolllll I can hear screams... no no no NO more f n renderings, pleaseeeee)
Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #105

I'm not a designer or engineer. However, I do remember that the early Audi TT experienced high- speed stability problems that necessitated the installation of a rear spoiler to ensure high-speed stability by reducing lift on the rear axle.

I assume that Porsche included a rear spoiler on the Boxster (which deploys at 75 mph) to ensure high-speed stability due to lift issues. It certainly wasn't installed to improve the car's looks!

All I'm saying is that Boxster owners should be wary about installing aerodynamic devices that may destabilize the car by increasing lift at the rear. If the maker of these devices can't measurably determine the lift or downforce characteristics of these spoilers, then I (for one) will avoid them.

Last edited by VGM911; 01-25-2016 at 10:51 PM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #106

You are 100% correct and I have zero arguments to put up here. In fact laws are specifically designed to prevent this from happening - under NO circumstance you and I both are allowed (legally) to modify a vehicle which is dept of transport approved to use on public roads. Some countries enforce this policy more than others (e.g. I have to swap my aftermarket wheels before doing my car inspection every years here, those are no go. They do actually like my aftermarket headlights a lot however).

I think we are all adults here and understand the consequences of modifying our cars wisely (well, I hope). If you have concerns or not 100% sure with parts/mods you buy from various suppliers then, best advised stick to DOT "policy regulations". No point scrubbing these details on this forum imo

Let's keep the spirit of the ducktail thread!!!
Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #107

personally i like the rounded edge however i would be happy with either.
one question, if you are making an HD foam and fibreglass covered part, will it be possible to sand the square edges down to curved should we decide too without going through the glass into the foam? or would we then need to recover the part in fibreglass?

also out of interest what are you making the parts out of? it seems you managed to knock that little curved section up fairly simply?
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:49 AM   #108

Cool 986 Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
personally i like the rounded edge however i would be happy with either.
one question, if you are making an HD foam and fibreglass covered part, will it be possible to sand the square edges down to curved should we decide too without going through the glass into the foam? or would we then need to recover the part in fibreglass?

also out of interest what are you making the parts out of? it seems you managed to knock that little curved section up fairly simply?
Hello koosh

I could reinforce the ends at the corners to accommodate those who want to alter the spoiler or I may make two molds, one round one straight.

The base material for the pattern is thin ply and body filler (bondo US).

I will keep the forum informed as to were I am up to with the mold.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #109

Cool 986 Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
It looks very nice !

Can you take pictures to see how it looks as a whole ?

Ben.
Hello Ben006

As soon as I have one made out of the mold and fitted on my car there will be lots of photos to look at, from a few angles.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #110
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Ducktail designers, please take note: the incoming standards require space for a P O R S C H E logo on the rear surface. Please modify your designs to accomodate this new standard. Thank you.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #111

Not sure if mentioned previously. Just got the feb 2000 panorama mag last night. Don't ask. Performance products was advertising a full duck which appeared to replace the back hood and covered the auto spoiler. It was 900 back in 2000.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
Ducktail designers, please take note: the incoming standards require space for a P O R S C H E logo on the rear surface. Please modify your designs to accomodate this new standard. Thank you.
I think you gave the 986 rear bumper a whole new usuage

Modded as requested. Economical version of it (half) lollll Thank you Derfo for integrating this in the next, next, round of your spoiler productions

Spoiler_01
Old 01-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #113

Quote:
I think you gave the 986 rear bumper a whole new usuage

Modded as requested. Economical version of it (half) lollll Thank you Derfo for integrating this in the next, next, round of your spoiler productions

Spoiler_01
Now that is sweet!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
Now that is sweet!!
Oh hang on mate, that was just a warm up! Can do this thing all day long, someone just need to tell me when to stop lolll

Rendering another atm... for those 2020 futurist and LED lovers

Edit: pic added, and I am having a hell of a hard time to visually represent the third-brake light "glass". The clear brake light red stuff I mean

Picture this illuminated late in the evening with the P lettering blacked out lolll There some nice boxstery curves I think

Spoiler_02

Edit 2: Nah, sorry, can't do good lookin glass. Tried. Gives a ruff idea anyway... if anyone wants to integrate this stuff in their production (Derfo, hope your reading this lolll)

Spoiler_03

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-27-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #115

Garage
Quote:
Oh hang on mate, that was just a warm up! Can do this thing all day long, someone just need to tell me when to stop
Fred,
How about something similar to your wind deflector with edge lighting?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #116

Looks better than Porsche factory man......they might "bring you in" if you keep this up

Quote:
Oh hang on mate, that was just a warm up! Can do this thing all day long, someone just need to tell me when to stop lolll

Rendering another atm... for those 2020 futurist and LED lovers

Edit: pic added, and I am having a hell of a hard time to visually represent the third-brake light "glass". The clear brake light red stuff I mean

Picture this illuminated late in the evening with the P lettering blacked out lolll There some nice boxstery curves I think

Spoiler_02

Edit 2: Nah, sorry, can't do good lookin glass. Tried. Gives a ruff idea anyway... if anyone wants to integrate this stuff in their production (Derfo, hope your reading this lolll)

Spoiler_03
Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Fred,
How about something similar to your wind deflector with edge lighting?
Don - nice one... concept does not come up as off right now but if I think of something I'll certainly annoy with a few more visuals on that. Geez, can you imagine a fully poly-carbonate spoiler with a builtin laser-lit 3D Porsche lettering?! That's is so not 2020... more like 2099 sounding to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Looks better than Porsche factory man......they might "bring you in" if you keep this up
lolllll "The Thin Red Line" isn't it

Spoiler_04
Old 01-29-2016, 03:26 AM   #118

Sitting here enjoying some coffee and looking over all the pics. Fred the design you show is very pleasing to the eye and has a shape to it that matches the nice round butt of the 986 . Derfo's design also compliments the rear look of the car but in a slightly different way. One is not better than the other in my opinion just different. I think once Derfo gets one on his car and painted to match it will really show what his approach is all about. When looking at the butt of my car I do NOT want the eye to go directly to the spoiler/duck tail, instead I want the eye to take in the entire landscape. That's why in my original post that started all of this that I wanted a small duck tail. Pleasing to the eye, not intrusive just a minimal enhancement. My car is arctic silver and after installing the duck tail I hope to do two ghost stripes from the front GT3 bumper to the back GT3 TEK diffuser. I think that will look great and help pull everything together to make it all flow. Time will tell if I am correct
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Sitting here enjoying some coffee and looking over all the pics. Fred the design you show is very pleasing to the eye and has a shape to it that matches the nice round butt of the 986 . Derfo's design also compliments the rear look of the car but in a slightly different way. One is not better than the other in my opinion just different. I think once Derfo gets one on his car and painted to match it will really show what his approach is all about. When looking at the butt of my car I do NOT want the eye to go directly to the spoiler/duck tail, instead I want the eye to take in the entire landscape. That's why in my original post that started all of this that I wanted a small duck tail. Pleasing to the eye, not intrusive just a minimal enhancement. My car is arctic silver and after installing the duck tail I hope to do two ghost stripes from the front GT3 bumper to the back GT3 TEK diffuser. I think that will look great and help pull everything together to make it all flow. Time will tell if I am correct
That Boxstery-round butt spoiler you see would cost over $1,000 and that assuming 1,000 units would be be pre-sold even before someone thinks production. Not called a ducktail anymore... more like a rip-off lolll I'm sure you've already guessed it was just meant a killing time while we are all impatient waiting for Derfo's spoiler to come out! Fun stuff

I for one may be getting the MKI of his spoiler. I plan to get rid of the tower-looking 747 style wing I currently have on my car and his will be just fine for my taste. Anxious to know if he plans on rounding the corners however. Either ways, for me that's not a huge problem as I have many means to modify that here (either by hands or using a laser cutter, etc).

Cool thread Rick. Hopefully Derfo will start his own thread when ready, hopefully in the DIY section?
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 AM   #120
WALDMEISTER

Garage
rounding the edges/corners would fit my taste, too...-->@ Fred: the other "thin red line" style is REALLY nice
Kind of like a new 718 hybrid style.

But I tell you guys, when the 986 pushes that original brick-wall style wing up...looks kinda raw...i just love it, still. So I would need a 718 "ducktail" hybrid wing...where the old brick wing can still push through.