Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

I want a small ducktail to mount on the OEM spoiler !

How many Boxsters from model year 1998 - 2004 are out there ? A bunch ! Am I asking too much for someone to come up with a small ducktail spoiler that can be mounted on top of the OEM rear blade spoiler ??? I don't want to disassemble or use 987 hardware just glue/screw/rivet onto the existing OEM setup........will 2016 answer my request ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

Would possibly be pretty cool if it was not too large and had a good angle.The duck tail is super on the 911.Interesting........
Old 12-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #3

It's funny you created this post. I was thinking about posting the same question. I want one that replaces the whole trunk and stock spoiler system. I'm considering building my own if I ever come across a factory Aero kit trunk lid. I've also thought about getting some clay and trying to sculpt one on a trunk. Or maybe one of you northern guys can try to form one out of snow?
Old 12-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #4

redneck lol
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

Not denying I'm a redneck but I want to use the clay for design purposes.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

I have been thinking the same, I will draw one up in 3D and machine one with a cnc machine to create a mold see how it comes out.
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
I have been thinking the same, I will draw one up in 3D and machine one with a cnc machine to create a mold see how it comes out.
Now we are talking !! Just speaking for myself I'm just looking for a small plain mini-ducktail nothing gaudy or ricer in appearance. So when the OEM blade is in the down position you still have a nice profile of a spoiler which I believe will enhance the look of the car. And by keeping the OEM blade I would think it will not screw up what the engineers intended for the air flow in the rear and might possibly add just a little bit of down force or reduce lift. The challenges to overcome are a mounting system and a final profile. This should be fun to watch unfold
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 12-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #8

As an example here is one from Suncoast for the later models. I think this one is a little too big/aggressive for my taste but it is close. Really just using this as a reference point. The second link is a spy shot of a new spyder with a ducktail.

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Boxster Ducktail

Porsche Boxster Prototype Spied with Ducktail and Manual, RS Spyder Coming
Old 12-27-2015, 02:14 AM   #9

I'm thinking more 991.2ish
where is sport design ducktail package on the 991.2? - Page 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Did you see Jon's thread? He built one that was close to what you're looking for.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59015-1st-boxster-7th-porsche-we-now-have-4-family.html
Old 12-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #10
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Or maybe one of you northern guys can try to form one out of snow?
Woody, we're SOL for snow so far this winter... maybe inFebruary.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
The 991.2 style is a little larger than what I am looking for but not ruling that out. What Jon ended up with is much closer to what I want in regards to size and shape. We have a good discussion going here hopefully some good will come from it.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:21 AM   #12
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Remember...

.....that you will be lifting luggage over that ducktail to place in the trunk. That's one of the reasons it isn't there from the factory.

Style is another.

Corvette just went through this on the new ZO6. They have a huge Gurney Flap on their "Stage III" ZO6 package and it make putting luggage in the trunk of the convertible very difficult. You better be a track hound if you order that option.

Remember that if you attach your ducktail to the top of the OEM spoiler, when it deploys at speed, you will be adding a bending force to the structure of the spoiler and that could cause problems.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #13

For the size of spoiler I want I seriously doubt it would hinder rear trunk access but I see your point. I'm sure Porsche took that into account before adding larger rear spoilers to the 987. In regards to the corvette I could be wrong but isn't the rear of that car higher to begin with vs. the Porsche ?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #14

I tried combining these two on photobucket but I wasn't successful.

I agree and the 991.2 is bigger than I like too. I'm more after the height and shape of this one(with rounded corners), and I want it farther down the trunk. I secretly like the big wing, but don't have the cojones to put one on mine.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #15

Yes that is what im thinking, small tasteful
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
Yes that is what im thinking, small tasteful
Maybe what we are looking for is a " baby ducktail " Like others I do not want to mess up the smooth lines just a slight addition to the rear. I know we can get there !
Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #17

there's this ... you would have to remove the uprights and wing, but would have a tailbase/ducktail when done. it would have to be slid down the trunk about two inches and probably trimmed a bit. i *think* extreme is a branch of gt3tek so quality is ok, and they could probably customise it to your needs (ie, delete the wing and reduce the cost considerably).

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiXma73yvzJAhVB8mMKHWrzC-8QjB0IBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPorsche-986-Boxster-to-997-GT3-RS-style-Rear-Wing-New-%2F180397070920&psig=AFQjCNFZp9r0E-ZqZVjW96SKHUIbHjU6uA&ust=1451324321887338&rct=j

Last edited by The Radium King; 12-27-2015 at 09:02 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #18

Cool 986 tail

I have got one made. I just need to do the final touches, then make a mold and see who wants one.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
I have got one made. I just need to do the final touches, then make a mold and see who wants one.
We have a winner !!! Please keep us posted on your progress I'll go ahead and throw my name in the hat for a purchase if the end product looks good and is reasonable in cost. Is your plan to do it in fiberglass or something else ? Does this fit over the OEM top cap or replace it ? I think it's just held on with 3 rivets ? Anyway nice looking work .
Old 12-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #20

Garage
Plus one on this. Looks great!

Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote