Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #21

Cool 986 tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
We have a winner !!! Please keep us posted on your progress I'll go ahead and throw my name in the hat for a purchase if the end product looks good and is reasonable in cost. Is your plan to do it in fiberglass or something else ? Does this fit over the OEM top cap or replace it ? I think it's just held on with 3 rivets ? Anyway nice looking work .
Hello rfuerst911sc

It will be fiberglass. It replaces the cap. I had one ready to make a mold for 2 1/2 years ago, but it got smashed when I was taking it to my unit. Some guy took me out on a roundabout (uk) the car rolled 3 times , I had to be cut out and airlifted to Hospital. So just getting round to doing stuff again.

derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
Hello rfuerst911sc

It will be fiberglass. It replaces the cap. I had one ready to make a mold for 2 1/2 years ago, but it got smashed when I was taking it to my unit. Some guy took me out on a roundabout (uk) the car rolled 3 times , I had to be cut out and airlifted to Hospital. So just getting round to doing stuff again.
Yikes ! First off let me say I'm glad you are on the mend and hope you continue on the path to good health. Amazing how ones life can change in just seconds. The spoiler looks very nice in the pic you posted and I'm sure you can sell a good quantity of these if you are able to build the volume in a timely manner. Good luck and please reply to this thread with progress and when they will be available for sale. Thanks
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #23

This look good! Exactly what I wanted to do. You will be removing the plastic top cap and riveting this to the metal blade of the spoiler I take it. Any CFD behind it? It would be nice to know if it affects car balance at all.

Looks like it would provide a little more spoiling capability with a little less drag.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #24

Garage
Over on the BMW Z4M forum there a few guys splitters and spoilers - very tasteful stuff that adds to the overall look of the car. I'd certainly be interested in something that does that for the Boxster. This may have been mentioned, but we'd want to pull the fuse on the rising spoiler, no?
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

Remember that if you attach your ducktail to the top of the OEM spoiler, when it deploys at speed, you will be adding a bending force to the structure of the spoiler and that could cause problems.

Good luck.
Pull the fuse, ya? i don't think we're looking at an option that still goes up and down. Should be a fixed item, no?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #26

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Over on the BMW Z4M forum there a few guys splitters and spoilers - very tasteful stuff that adds to the overall look of the car. I'd certainly be interested in something that does that for the Boxster. This may have been mentioned, but we'd want to pull the fuse on the rising spoiler, no?
Hello Dlirium

It would be up to you if you pull the fuse. It will go up and down with the tail on.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #27

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
This look good! Exactly what I wanted to do. You will be removing the plastic top cap and riveting this to the metal blade of the spoiler I take it. Any CFD behind it? It would be nice to know if it affects car balance at all.

Looks like it would provide a little more spoiling capability with a little less drag.
Hello jaykay

It will be bolted to the top rail. I will be making no claims, aesthetics only.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #28

There should be no reason to stop the function of raising/lowering. If derfo's spoiler mounts the way I think it will you still have the factory air dam/blade his spoiler will just be on top of that. So at speeds below 70 mph you just have his spoiler. Above that speed you have the OEM blade AND his spoiler. Unless his spoiler does something crazy with the air flow I would think the car will be very stable. I think the only thing that will have to be done is the factory " cap " ( painted car color ) will have to be removed so derfo's spoiler mounts in its place. Just 3 rivets and maybe a little goop .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 12-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Hello Dlirium

It would be up to you if you pull the fuse. It will go up and down with the tail on.
Right - to each their own. I'd have to see it, but i feel that the spoiler (that looks like the 911 one pictured earlier in this thread) raising up 3-4 inches would be, uh...silly?

we'll see. like you said, i'd pull the fuse and enjoy the "attached" look...
Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The problem with Cayman type spoilers is that the stock airdam is too far back, making the longer spoilers look out of place (like the spoiler is hanging off the back of the car).

I think it would need to be a little further up the trunk lid to look right, sort of like the Aerokit spoiler, but maybe not so far up the lid.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 AM   #31

derfo by chance do you have any pics of your model/first article actually mounted on the car ?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #32

Cool 986 Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
derfo by chance do you have any pics of your model/first article actually mounted on the car ?
Hello rfuerst911sc

I am aiming to fit it to the car, test it and decide how to proceed from there. This will be before I make a mold of the pattern. When I fit it to the car before the tests I will post some photos. ASAP.:dance:

Last edited by derfo; 12-29-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Hello rfuerst911sc

I am aiming to fit it to the car, test it and decide how to proceed from there. This will be before I make a mold of the pattern. When I fit it to the car before the tests I will post some photos. ASAP.:dance:
Very interested to see how this turns out!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #34
2002 Boxster S

Garage
BTW, when you pull the spoiler fuse, it also disables the ability to open the trunk. But that solves the problem of not being able to get your stuff in the trunk, doesn't it?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
BTW, when you pull the spoiler fuse, it also disables the ability to open the trunk. But that solves the problem of not being able to get your stuff in the trunk, doesn't it?
Well that sucks. Is there a way to disable the spoiler other than a fuse?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Well that sucks. Is there a way to disable the spoiler other than a fuse?
Manually disconnect it at the lift mechanism electrical connector.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Manually disconnect it at the lift mechanism electrical connector.
Ah, perfect!! Thx!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #38

derfo any updates ?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #39

I am also very interested! With the right angle and form it will be a great addition. Please keep us updated !
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #40

Spoiled 986

Very interested ! Pics Pics Pics !

Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote