Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

Porsche 986 987 Boxster & Boxster S 97-04 Top Speed Pro-1

Hello, anyone install this and is this plug and play type of exhaust? Thanks

wooshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
I had one of those two can mufflers on the car when I bought it.
It sounded nice, but had LOTS of eardrum crushing resonance drone.
I have a touch of tinnitus and found it annoying enough to replace it with a stock muffler.
YMMV.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #3

Garage
Yes, it's plug and play.
I have one on my car I like the sound.
It's not my daily driver.
I also have the Cat delete pipes.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:28 AM   #4

I have one on my 03, along with the cat delete pipes, the exhaust note is amazing and tunnels are just epic!!
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
I had one of those two can mufflers on the car when I bought it.
It sounded nice, but had LOTS of eardrum crushing resonance drone.
I have a touch of tinnitus and found it annoying enough to replace it with a stock muffler.
YMMV.
Interesting. So it's really the two-can design vs. the factory single-can that is responsible for the droning noise? I've really got to attend some club meetings and start listening in person. I'd very much like to add an exhaust (Fabspeed Maxflo is top on my list) but I don't wanna take the chance at that price.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Yes, it's plug and play.
I have one on my car I like the sound.
It's not my daily driver.
I also have the Cat delete pipes.

when I look at the other exhaust and they look different ( circle in red frame)
Do I need that to mount it on the car?
do I need to modify the pipe from top speed ?
Thank you
wooshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooshhh View Post
Hello, anyone install this and is this plug and play type of exhaust? Thanks
do you happen to have a video or sound clip of your exhaust?

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Interesting. So it's really the two-can design vs. the factory single-can that is responsible for the droning noise? I've really got to attend some club meetings and start listening in person. I'd very much like to add an exhaust (Fabspeed Maxflo is top on my list) but I don't wanna take the chance at that price.
Drone is caused by exhaust valve harmonics. The thinner the header and exhaust metal the louder the harmonics. Most all third party exhaust systems use a thinner metal so drone is more prevalent. That's why your OEM headers look like something a mad eastern block plumber put together and why your OEM exhaust is so heavy.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

The TopSpeed catback exhaust has a mounting bracket/tab above the muffler.

These pics for for an early Boxster with only one set of cat's between the headers (not integrated) and the muffler.

The catback unit mounts to the rear of the transmission using the bracket/tab and then connects to the stock C-tubes. My car also has the cat delete pipes (test pipes) from Fabspeed.

Be forewarned - this setup is pretty loud - to the extent that I wear earplugs - but it also has an incredible snarl and growl sound that is really awesome.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-11-2015 at 04:55 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #10

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
https://www.facebook.com/Martin.944/videos/vb.100000440490443/1009799145711426/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Martin.944/videos/vb.100000440490443/1015963708428303/?type=3&theater

it is field fit, worked out well I love it There is a good DIY post about it, I used the easy seal clamps Bruce recommended. I have the top speed muffler / cat delete, there is a bit of drone at 2k rpm none at 3 ... who drives at 2k anyway
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Drone is caused by exhaust valve harmonics. The thinner the header and exhaust metal the louder the harmonics. Most all third party exhaust systems use a thinner metal so drone is more prevalent. That's why your OEM headers look like something a mad eastern block plumber put together and why your OEM exhaust is so heavy.
Want cake. Want to EAT cake, too!
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

I have one but removed it due to very loud drone. Except for the drone is amazing however the drone was too much. This is with cat delete pipes and easy seal clamps.

Wonder if wrapping the cans and pipes in heat tape will cut down the resonance/drone?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
I have one but removed it due to very loud drone. Except for the drone is amazing however the drone was too much. This is with cat delete pipes and easy seal clamps.

Wonder if wrapping the cans and pipes in heat tape will cut down the resonance/drone?
I think Fred did that, what rpms's did you have drove ? I always keep mine at or above 3k unless warming up and i don't notice the drone unless i am at around 2k
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

Fintro,

I had drone between (as I recall) 2k and 3k. It is hard to avoid this range while driving in town and on the highway. It was so bad my ears would ring and I got headaches, decided it was not worth it. Wish the drone could be eliminated because otherwise the sound is great, a lot of fun.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #15

Garage
I would like to see someone take one of these muffler systems and weld in a balance or exhaust crossover pipe between the two mufflers to see if that will eliminate the drone. Several years ago I built a high compression 468 chevy engine with 2-1/2" dual mufflers. The drone was ear bleed bad with magna flow mufflers. SO bad my first trip onto the freeway got me pulled over. Highway Patrolman came up to window and said "I don't care what you have under the hood but It's entirely too loud" No Kidding! I then welded in 2 Flowmaster series 70 mufflers. Quieter but the high frequency from the compression was still unbearable. I had been doing some research on the issue and what I discovered was the unbalanced exhaust pulses through the system was what caused the drone. I welded in a balance pipe and the difference was absolutely miraculous. Gone was the high frequency drone and I had a deep mellow rumble. To work best the balance pipe needs to be close to the header, but I wonder if it may help. Seems to me the stock mufflers have this bypass built into them with both sides entering the internal perforated pipes.

PS looking at the Fabspeed system I see they have the balance tube.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-13-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: PS
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote