Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Congratulations. I feel that's the nicest style for the water-cooled 911 so far. I like that the Turbo headlights were the first that made the 911 a car that could never be confused for a VW. My favorite is the C4S because of the wider hips. That car to me was perfect on a nice set of mesh BBS.

As for plunging prices, it's certainly a good time to buy a Carrera if you ever had the itch. But its going to get even better as interest rates climb and banks clamp down on how much they're willing to loan on out-warranty cars. There are an epic number of mass produced water-cooled Carreras for sale on Autotrader. My last search came up with 4,297 911's from 1999-2016 available for sale right now! That's way too much supply, and it only gets bigger obviously.
There's simply no way a sluggish U.S. economy that many are predicting to go into recession in the next 12 months is going to absorb all the current used inventory let alone the trade-in that will be coming in from buyers looking to jump while they can still get good financing on new 911s, ditto for the Cayman/Boxsters. If you're thinking of selling a 996/997/986/987 you better do so now.... depreciation is going to climb at a faster rate than we've seen since the financial collapse of 2008, especially since all Porsches across the board (air-cooled or not) saw a nice bubble up in prices over the last 12-18 months. Once credit gets more expensive those upticks evaporate quickly. if memory serves in 2009 when credit collapsed, prices for just out of warranty 996's were falling by as much $25K in a year. The Boxsters didn't see such steep drop because they weren't priced that high to begin with, so less bubble to burst.
Here in south Florida, high mileage 996 goes for Boxster price up north.
I paid a bit of a premium on this one, but that was the car I wanted.
At the end of the day, if it is going to depreciate by 8-9k, it's fine with me.
This is more or less the same money I'm going to spend on leasing the Hyundai Veloster that my wife wants so much (don't ask me why)

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote