Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #1

Air-Oil Seperater Issue

Found a small amount of oil on the garage floor; took '98 Box to my regular mechanic to see where it was coming from. He indicated it's the Oil-Air Seperater.

I read up a little and have a question: Should OEM be used or are there suitable replacements ? Should hoses be replaced too ? Can someone point me to a thread that had covered this topic too.

Lastly, if it is the AOS, how fast should I get it replaced ?

Thanks,

jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #2

I use OEM and all is well, comes with new rubber hose, also get new clamp/tool for rubber hose, takes about 2 to 3 hours to replace
eallga72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #3

Garage
A quick use of the search function will yield you quite a few threads. The only other than oem replacement I've heard of is a very expensive high performance model that you'd need if you track your car frequently. My consensus is that most aftermarket parts excepting those designed by ln engineering or Pedro's garage are inferior to what porsche designed the car with.

Most mechanics will replace all hoses attached and also look at your oil fill tube which is one of those while you're in there jobs. Not required but some of those hoses can be brittle after years of use and they break. I replaced the main j tube when doing my starter because I broke my old one while pulling the intake out.

I'd get your aos done as soon as possible. Sometimes they last for a while and will start throwing the white smoke trail, but it's a plastic part and if depending on how ruptured the part is, eventually it will pull oil in increasing amounts into the intake and it will hydrolock your motor which will yield you a pretty porsche boat anchor. Not worth the risk if you ask me. 130ish dollar part and two hours of Labor should do the trick or dive in yourself.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #4

Having had the AOS go on mine I would definitely have that replaced proactively if it is suspect as the results can be dire if you are unlucky.

I'll second JD's comments.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Oem

I use aftermarket bulbs, fuses, Stereo unit...other than that go with OEM or a verified OEM supplier....just too much to gamble with for a few bucks savings
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Having had the AOS go on mine I would definitely have that replaced proactively if it is suspect as the results can be dire if you are unlucky.

I'll second JD's comments.
Done ! Went with the improved OEM AOS . Thanks for the advice on this, I might have deferred the maintenance......
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
Done ! Went with the improved OEM AOS . Thanks for the advice on this, I might have deferred the maintenance......
Good to hear. Deferring maintenance is not good for these cars. Just fyi.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
Improved you say? Herrmmmmm. Is that watcha get by default these days or is there a top-secret part #?

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote