Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #1

Advice on 1999 Boxster?

Hi everyone

I just made the move from Singapore to Dubai, sold off my Mitsubish Evo IX and bought myself a 1999 Boxster 2.5 in Arctic Silver (I'm still very much convinced that this car is MUCH better than the Evo for daily use, and plastering a silly smile when startup life gets tough).

I've spent the last 3 weeks across various forums trying to locate information on the following:

1. Traction Control -- Does the 1999 Boxster come with any traction control? How do I turn it off if I need to (I'm not someone who prefers to have traction control on when I'm at the track).

2. Are there any specific problems about the 1999 Boxster that I should be know about? I've read about 'catastrophic engine failure' from the Alusil liners, but have no idea what I should be looking out for.

3. Having just bought a 7 year old Boxster with 73000 km on it (last major service was at 68,000 km), is there anything I need to be worried about? I'm seeing some fresh symmetrical scruff marks on the rear half of the convertible roof and am a little concerned.

4. I also hear some light squeaking from the engine at idle on cold start, like when a fan belt goes loose. Is this normal? I'm heading back to the dealership tomorrow morning to get this looked at, and a preemptive opinion would be useful to have

5. The aftermarket exhaust that came with the car has a rasping note when I let off the throttle (dealer checked and said that this aftermarket exhaust does not have much of a muffler, hence the sound) -- I'm trying to figure out which exhaust system this is On the upside, the dealer has offered to switch me back to a brand-new exhaust system for free

The Boxster is truly an amazing car to drive. Got mine in stick instead of Tip, and have never felt a twinge of regret since ))

I've done searches across multiple boards and been to tons of Porsche resources but not been able to find a satisfactory or consistent answer :|

ghoonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoonk
1. Traction Control -- Does the 1999 Boxster come with any traction control? How do I turn it off if I need to (I'm not someone who prefers to have traction control on when I'm at the track).

2. Are there any specific problems about the 1999 Boxster that I should be know about? I've read about 'catastrophic engine failure' from the Alusil liners, but have no idea what I should be looking out for.

3. Having just bought a 7 year old Boxster with 73000 km on it (last major service was at 68,000 km), is there anything I need to be worried about? I'm seeing some fresh symmetrical scruff marks on the rear half of the convertible roof and am a little concerned.

4. I also hear some light squeaking from the engine at idle on cold start, like when a fan belt goes loose. Is this normal? I'm heading back to the dealership tomorrow morning to get this looked at, and a preemptive opinion would be useful to have

5. The aftermarket exhaust that came with the car has a rasping note when I let off the throttle (dealer checked and said that this aftermarket exhaust does not have much of a muffler, hence the sound) -- I'm trying to figure out which exhaust system this is On the upside, the dealer has offered to switch me back to a brand-new exhaust system for free

The Boxster is truly an amazing car to drive. Got mine in stick instead of Tip, and have never felt a twinge of regret since ))

I've done searches across multiple boards and been to tons of Porsche resources but not been able to find a satisfactory or consistent answer :|
1. I beleive tracton control was an option.

2. The failure you are referring to is commonly called the RMS(rear main seal) failure, it normally happens before 25k miles. You should look for oil build up on your garage floor and oil building up around the transmission.

3. I too have a 99' and I did the following when I bought it(it wasn't necassary);changed the oil,oil filter,wiper blades,checked tire pressure,went through a bottle of chevron with techron and put 500 miles on it a week. After having for a few more months I changed my serpentine belt,air filter,MAF(mass air flow sensor),brake pads and wheels and tires.

4. If it is the belt that you are thinking of (serpentine bet) you can change it on your own in a hour,most of it involves taking the carpeting and padding off from behind the seats to access the side of the engine. I can supply you with instructions if you would like to try it. Parts cost me about $30(USD).

5.Your choice.

Enjoy the car,I've had my Boxster over 6 months and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I start it up.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #3

Hey blinkwatt, thanks for the quick reply

1. YAY!

2. No oil. Yet. Am kepping my fingers crossed.

3/4. I'm targeting to go another 1000 km with the current service, then go for an oil change. Might highlight to them the serpentine belt issue since the car is still under a month's warranty and I still have 3 weeks left. Am a bit worried about the air conditioner though -- idling goes up and down for under a minute after I fire up the climate control system, then stabilizes -- hope this is normal

The Boxster doesn't have the brutal acceleration of the Evo, but it's much more driveable, and here in Dubai where it only rains 5 days a year max, it's wonderful. I was driving around since my last post in 42 deg C weather, and loved almost every minute of it -- except when I got stuck at lights :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
1. I beleive tracton control was an option.

2. The failure you are referring to is commonly called the RMS(rear main seal) failure, it normally happens before 25k miles. You should look for oil build up on your garage floor and oil building up around the transmission.

3. I too have a 99' and I did the following when I bought it(it wasn't necassary);changed the oil,oil filter,wiper blades,checked tire pressure,went through a bottle of chevron with techron and put 500 miles on it a week. After having for a few more months I changed my serpentine belt,air filter,MAF(mass air flow sensor),brake pads and wheels and tires.

4. If it is the belt that you are thinking of (serpentine bet) you can change it on your own in a hour,most of it involves taking the carpeting and padding off from behind the seats to access the side of the engine. I can supply you with instructions if you would like to try it. Parts cost me about $30(USD).

5.Your choice.

Enjoy the car,I've had my Boxster over 6 months and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I start it up.

ghoonk is offline   Reply With Quote