View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
ghoonk

Advice on 1999 Boxster?

Hi everyone

I just made the move from Singapore to Dubai, sold off my Mitsubish Evo IX and bought myself a 1999 Boxster 2.5 in Arctic Silver (I'm still very much convinced that this car is MUCH better than the Evo for daily use, and plastering a silly smile when startup life gets tough).

I've spent the last 3 weeks across various forums trying to locate information on the following:

1. Traction Control -- Does the 1999 Boxster come with any traction control? How do I turn it off if I need to (I'm not someone who prefers to have traction control on when I'm at the track).

2. Are there any specific problems about the 1999 Boxster that I should be know about? I've read about 'catastrophic engine failure' from the Alusil liners, but have no idea what I should be looking out for.

3. Having just bought a 7 year old Boxster with 73000 km on it (last major service was at 68,000 km), is there anything I need to be worried about? I'm seeing some fresh symmetrical scruff marks on the rear half of the convertible roof and am a little concerned.

4. I also hear some light squeaking from the engine at idle on cold start, like when a fan belt goes loose. Is this normal? I'm heading back to the dealership tomorrow morning to get this looked at, and a preemptive opinion would be useful to have

5. The aftermarket exhaust that came with the car has a rasping note when I let off the throttle (dealer checked and said that this aftermarket exhaust does not have much of a muffler, hence the sound) -- I'm trying to figure out which exhaust system this is On the upside, the dealer has offered to switch me back to a brand-new exhaust system for free

The Boxster is truly an amazing car to drive. Got mine in stick instead of Tip, and have never felt a twinge of regret since ))

I've done searches across multiple boards and been to tons of Porsche resources but not been able to find a satisfactory or consistent answer :|
ghoonk is offline   Reply With Quote