Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Can the doors be adjusted???

My drivers side door does not like to close without a firm push or pull (depending if you are getting in or out of the car). On closer inspection it looks like the door is slightly too high for the locking mechanism to be centered, and, it is catching (see pics)

I noticed on the striker plate (pic below) there appears to be lines that may, or may not be there for alignment purposes:

Can this alignment be adjusted to make the door close as it is supposed to without catching, or is it something more complicated than that?

Regards,

Jake.

Last edited by jpl2407; 11-23-2015 at 01:04 PM.
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

How does the hinged side look? Anything bent or out of place?
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

Everything looks straight as an arrow, panel gaps are spot on both sides.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

I guess you could try removing the striker plate to see if it can be adjusted. It is a triple square drive, not a torx, just as a heads up. I replaced my latch mechanism and learned that the hard way. Maybe try flipping over the striker plate? I can't tell from your picture if it is symmetrical or not. How long has this been a problem?
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Take a look at the door and see if you have a consistent gap around the door when it is closed. If it looks good, the issue is probably with the striker plate. If it is uneven, it looks like there is an adjustment at the hinge side:

Old 11-24-2015, 04:05 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input, I adjusted the striker plate and the door is closing as it should now. A word of advice......just loosen the bolts on the striker plate enough so that you can position the plate as you need to, there is no need to take them out completely.

Regards,

Jake.

Last edited by jpl2407; 11-24-2015 at 04:30 AM.