Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Bad First Oil Repot - thoughts

Swapped out my 175,000 mile 986 Mistress for a newer, younger 2006 S with 25,000 miles. Changed oil, this is the report on the existing oil. The owner stated he had changed the oil at 22,000 miles, so 3,000 miles on the Mobil One. Ironically, the last report on my 986 from Blackstone stated it was one of the best wearing 2.7's they have seen.

Thoughts? Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THOMAS: Universal averages show typical wear after about 3,800 miles of oil use. Your sample has quite
a bit more metal than we typically see. Aluminum, iron, copper, and lead show wear at the pistons, steel,
brass/bronze parts, and the bearings. Tin is probably an alloy. There wasn't any contamination to explain
this, so maybe this engine used to see some pretty hard use. We're not convinced of a problem, so let's just
see how trends build before crossing that bridge. Use 2,000 miles next time and watch oil pressure if you
can. Hopefully things shape up a bit next time.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf SEA WIND 2-110715-Blackstone.pdf (260.7 KB, 148 views)
seawind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

Oil Filter photo from above oil change : best looking filter I have seen relative to my prior 986. It looked perfect to me.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:26 AM   #3

Hello seawind,

just an idea. Because Molybdenum, Magnesium and Boron is high, this could be a grease filled bearing loosing grease. Maybe the original IMS roller bearing?

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
Project Addicted

Copper, Lead, Tin, Iron... That reads Babbit or crank/rod bearing materials. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to see. I would follow their instructions and get it change and tested again.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Magnetic plug?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #6

Garage
Since the 987 ims is more susceptible to failure if it's tracked...I'd like to know how many of those miles were track miles. The tracked 987 and 997s with m97 engines are the ones to avoid.

Guy had a 997 advertised on ebay with all these track mods done to it. I shuddered at the thought of owning that car.

Hoping your situation turns out to be nothing.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

What if (shrudder!!!) the previous owner had actually skipped the oil change 3,000 miles prior to selling you the car?

I know, hard to imagine such a thing, but unless you got a receipt, its hard to know for sure. How does this report stack up if the oil was 8,000 miles in use vs 3,000 miles?

I'd replace the oil and do another test in 2,000 miles. This way you'll know exactly where you stand. My bet is that everything goes right back to normal levels.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
What if (shrudder!!!) the previous owner had actually skipped the oil change 3,000 miles prior to selling you the car?

I know, hard to imagine such a thing, but unless you got a receipt, its hard to know for sure. How does this report stack up if the oil was 8,000 miles in use vs 3,000 miles?

I'd replace the oil and do another test in 2,000 miles. This way you'll know exactly where you stand. My bet is that everything goes right back to normal levels.
Yeah or the guy was on the 15,000 mile porsche plan...
Old 11-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

I am beginning to feel the '15,000' mile plan as well. At least I hope! The car was owned by the GM of California Motors, essentially a consignment vehicle there. I thought and still believe this is a good thing, considering he sees Austin Martin, jaguar and Porsche all day long. This was his daily driver. He can choose what he want. The oil was down a quart, and the coolant a pint when I purchased. Car not cleaned - he was not expecting to sell. I believe it was not tracked, so perhaps it is as simple as GM's that see many cars and flip once or twice a year do not truly love and care as you and I. Will find out in another 3 weeks when I change at 2,000 miles.

Thank you all my Porsche brothers and Sisters.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
I am beginning to feel the '15,000' mile plan as well. At least I hope! The car was owned by the GM of California Motors, essentially a consignment vehicle there. I thought and still believe this is a good thing, considering he sees Austin Martin, jaguar and Porsche all day long. This was his daily driver. He can choose what he want. The oil was down a quart, and the coolant a pint when I purchased. Car not cleaned - he was not expecting to sell. I believe it was not tracked, so perhaps it is as simple as GM's that see many cars and flip once or twice a year do not truly love and care as you and I. Will find out in another 3 weeks when I change at 2,000 miles.

Thank you all my Porsche brothers and Sisters.
Wow. Seems neglected. Down a quart of oil seems to indicate at least on a car with that few miles that he was pushing the service intervals. Hopefully all is good.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Sounds like old oil, drive the car and recheck in 2000mi.

In other news, I used to own a Seawind catamaran back n the 90s.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Wow. Seems neglected. Down a quart of oil seems to indicate at least on a car with that few miles that he was pushing the service intervals. Hopefully all is good.
The car may not have been 'down a quart'. I may have been filled with incorrect amount during the last change.

You're doing the right thing to change oil again in a few months and establish a baseline. I wouldn't bother too much with what previous owner did/didn't do. It's yours now so you can enjoy bringing it back to good. Enjoy!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #13

Changed it at 1000 check it and changed it at 1500 and check. I bought my car with the oil changed less than 500 miles but that was within a 2 YEAR PERIOD!!!

GatorLapis is offline   Reply With Quote