Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #1

Question Wind deflector "hooks" in the roll bar

Hey Folks,

I want to install a wind deflector on my '01 Boxster, but I don't have the adaptors that need to be attached to the roll bar (which hold the wind deflector in place). I can get this part from the dealer, but do you know how these "hooks" are connected to the roll bar. Is it a straightforward installation (is drillling required?) ?

Thanks very much for your time...

Humberto Calvani
'01 Boxster Trp Black
'86 944 Red - Track car
PCA Potomac

calvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #2

I believe you have to drill holes to put in the clip holders. No big deal if you take your time. It's worth it, I assure you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #3

The brackets attach to the roll bar with pop-rivets. The brackets come with new rivets. You'll have to pull the roll bar pads off , as the part of the bracket with the rivet is under the pad. I'm not sure if the bar will be pre-drilled from the factory, or if you'll need to drill them yourself as Randall pointed out.

The padding is held on with some of those ribbed plastic things, so you can remove them pretty easily. Take a look and let us know!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #4

Question

Thanks for info...

Yes, I will remove the pads and check it out. (It will be nice if the roll bars come already drilled.)

Cheers,

Humberto-
calvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #5

Roll bars have holes that are predrilled on each of the hoops. You must pull off the padding to access them. The brackets are simply pop riveted to the roll bar hoops. The center bracket rivets to the center padding. Do a search on this forum for windstop and you should find a link to a site on renntech which gives you directions with photos from toolpants. Removing the rollbar pads is the most difficult part (you got to pull them off really hard). The remainder of the installation is simple. You need the brackets from the dealer ($30) and a rivet gun. I did this installation last week based on info on this site. Send me a email if you have specific questions....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #6

Hi,

Not all the Roll Bars are pre-drilled. No way to tell til you pull the covers. Not difficult to drill them, just be sure to use a punch so your drill bit doesn't wander...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #7

Windstop --- Dealer cost

FYI .... i just priced having the dealer put the windstop in (Newport Beach Porsche)
Sit down for this...........$785........ gotta love it!

i'm saving my Euros as we speak!!!!

RD

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote