Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #61

Drove it for the first time yesterday to get it to the shop for the structural inspection. Engine ran fine, brakes were good, and I was impressed with how quiet it was on the highway with the top up. Very impressed with the handling and power delivery as well. Few little issues though.

-When I turn the projectors on, the drivers side headlight (the one I didn't replace) turns off after a few minutes. If I switch the headlights off, then back on again, it will come on for a few minutes before going off again. I think this might be the bulb or the ballast? I have a spare ballast from the damaged headlight that was included with the car and a bulb isn't too expensive so either way I'm not overly concerned

-The abs and psm off lights are stuck on and pushing the psm button doesn't seem to do anything. I have read this could be caused by the brake light switch being faulty, one of the brake lights being out, or because of a dead battery? Perhaps I need to reset the car? Thoughts?

-The steering wheel is maybe 10-15 degrees off center when the car is driving straight. I believe this will be taken care of when they align the car for me over the weekend though.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #62

Looks good , makes it all worth it
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #63

Thanks.

Drove it again today to get it back from the shop. I am so torn with this car. I bought it with the intention of fixing it up and replacing my mini with it but so far it just hasn't spoken to me. Compared to the mini which has a ridiculously loud supercharger whine and backfires like crazy every time you let off the gas, the boxster just feels like its missing something. I mean I honestly can't fault it though. I think it looks better, its slightly faster, it has HALF the mileage, it handles and rides great, and its a damn porsche. I mean look at the thing. It's just objectively a much better car. Its also not going to cost me anything to sell the mini and keep the boxster. I guess I was just expecting to drive it and instantly fall in love with it but my heart is still with the mini.

Someone please talk some sense into me!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #64

desnorkel it. gives you some growl and makes the car feel a bit more visceral. I have a spare set of headers i can send your way if you want it even louder. or hook up with jaykay and take it to the track - it will shame your mini.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #65

Funny you post this. I too had a mini and sold it earlier this year

2005 cooper s. It has to be the most fun car ive ever owned aside from my mr2 turbo. The mini feels like a go cart with tons of power or so it feels because of the hp/lbs ratio. The mini is an amazing daily driver. The shifter is so notchy. The brakes are amazing. Pano roof is a great feature. But the trim and finish is not up to par. Cheesy steering wheel and thin leather always torn. Hated the power window switches. Superchager maintenance aint cheap either. The box here in Canada isnt. I love the box for different reasons I loved the mini.

The driving experience is different in the boxster. Top down, rear wheel drive and mid engine. Was the next newest thing I could find to replace my t-top Mr2. The boxster isnt lightning fast 0-60 isnt good but it handles well and feels planted. My stereo is great, 3 spoke steering wheel feels perfect, seats are perfect. Wait till April. Then take a 1 day trip on the backroads up to sauble beach. Top down. Then you'll connect with it

The mini just feels imo like a go cart. Its so fun tho. I miss it everyday. Im considering buying another if the price is right.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #66

No way! mine is a 2005 as well. It's a jcw with intake, pulley, exhaust, and full suspension to give you an idea of where I am coming from. There's just something special about the first gen minis. I understand that is an objectively worse car in just about every measurable way but its just so damn fun to drive. To be fair though, I haven't driven the boxster with the top down yet which is huge part of what it has to offer. I have thought about taking the snorkel off but I've just come across so many conflicting opinions on it. Everybody seems to agree that it adds sound, but some people swear it takes away hp and worsens mileage and others will tell you they think its removal made the car noticeably faster.

TRK, what kind of headers do you have?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #67

I desnorkled my box also. In my opinion in order to get that Honda sounding intake growl you have to step pretty deep into the pedal and often. It doesnt add any power but sounds cool. Im putting my snorkel back in lol Im over that phase,

For what its worth. A close friend of mine had murcielago a few years ago. Had it for about 3-4yrs. Hes had the same as you JCW. He sold the lambo last summer. But kept his min and drives the piss out of it every day, Is Julian de Guzman Leaving TFC? | VFTSS & TFCpics

Hes got plenty money and he loves the mini. Says he will NEVER sell it.
Had one other friend whos had 3 or 4. Crashed 2 times and never once hurt.
I didn't understand what these guys loved about the cooper. Then I bought one...
Old 01-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #68
still plays with cars...

Garage
Desnorkle and/or Crios mod.
The Crios exhaust mod gives a bit more volume and a deeper, throatier exhaust note.
I'd like to desnorkle mine, but I chicken out trying to remove the vent figuring I'm going to break it.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #69

Crazy. Amazing that someone who had a murcielago can still care so much about a mini. I keep telling myself that I would have to be an absolute idiot to not take a porsche with half the mileage on it at no cost to myself. But alas, here I am looking for people to talk me into it! I snagged a 997 shifter the last week so hopefully by the time I add that and get a chance to drive it with the top down in some nice weather I will come to my senses. I also suppose its somewhat unfair to compare a modified car to a stock one.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post

-When I turn the projectors on, the drivers side headlight (the one I didn't replace) turns off after a few minutes. If I switch the headlights off, then back on again, it will come on for a few minutes before going off again. I think this might be the bulb or the ballast? I have a spare ballast from the damaged headlight that was included with the car and a bulb isn't too expensive so either way I'm not overly concerned.
I suspect that it is either the ballast or your headlight switch. Trying swapping a ballast that you know is good into the headlight that cuts off and see if that solves the problem. Search this forum for "headlight switch" and you will see that it can be a weak component.

Regarding your failure to bond with your Boxster. When I bought my Boxster I didn't feel the immediate thrill that I felt when I bought my Miata. However, as time went on I've found the Boxster to be a richer experience. Give it some time and I suspect it will grow on you.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #71
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm with Kevin; 75% sure it's your ballast, 25% headlight switch.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #72

Hi,

well, if the car don't talks to you because it's not hard enough, not lod enough, not direct enough. than you can spend a lot of money to get it there.

Also i think a big question is if a flat 6 in general speaks to you. If not, than you have to look for something else. And don't forget that it's a roadster. Means that you're chassis is never as rigid and stiff as a coupe - that's important if you want to lower the car and want to keep it for years.

Maybe a Box is not the right thing for you. There are other Porsches that may fit better. Have to mention that they might be in a complete different price range, but might fit better for your needs. Or look for a car that has been modified the way you like it. That's maybe more smart and a more inexpensive way to go.

If you like the flat 6 and the Porsche brand, just test drive a 996 Turbo for a more punchy or a 996 GT3 for a more direct and louder experience.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #73

I've driven a 997 turbo. It was amazing but even the 996tt are too pricey for me. I've been looking into the top speed test pipes for the boxster. I figure between those, the 997 shifter, and maybe taking the snorkel out it should perk the car up a bit?

I'll take the headlight out and get to the bottom of it this weekend. Steering wheel was straight and psm and abs lights were off when I picked it up from the shop.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #74

get the top speed test pipes and muffler, you can't beat the joy of the sound for the money. if installed properly with no exhaust leaks there is no drone and it's not obnoxiously loud, just right. crackles and pops quite a bit too.

what does the 997 shifter do exactly? i know there is less play (unlike the sloppy 986) but are the throws shorter as well? i already have the B&M short shift kit installed but i cant get rid of the play.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #75

Great thread thanks for taking the time to document your experience. As far as not connecting with the car, drive until its properly warmed up, then floor it to about 6k rpms then up shift. If that sound doesn't do something for you, with top down and up, sell it..
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #76

The 997 shifter is supposed to be about a 15% reduction in throw but I haven't installed it yet so I can't comment how much play it has.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #77

Put in the 997 shifter today. Ended up taking me a little longer than I thought but it was pretty straightforward. Can't say I really think it makes a huge difference on the 6 speed though. Are the throws shorter? marginally. Is it worth your time and money? For a 5 speed, I would say yes since its a bigger improvement. On the six speed though I'd say its debatable. I suppose if you find one really cheap and don't mind tackling the install yourself. Just don't buy one for retail and expect it to be worth it at that price.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #78
Carnut

You do the right thing! Awesome project car.

I had a '04 and did a few things like the exhaust mod, free, TB, 2nd cat delete, UD pulley and it made a big difference for sure. Sound and power very much improved. The hesitation between 3-4,000 rpm gone. Smooth as glas. Search for my thread a few years back.

I hear you, that little bit is missing stock but with above you will be happy. All DIY and parts are reasonably priced.

Handling, I never touched the stock suspension except spacers front and rear with 17" wheels and a front strut brace, good enough for me. Made a nice difference as well. Turn in much better.

So, what I'm saying is fairly simple, with a few fun mods the car wakes up and is super fun!

Oh, forgot to mention, scored a 997 shifter via eBay for $90.

Later,
Andy
Old 02-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #79

So I just spent about an entire week properly detailing the car. Clay, DA compound, wax etc. There was a ton of tar all over the back bumper and on the inner side of all the wheels that took FOREVER to get completely off. Still have a bunch left to do. Transmission fluid will be changed, test pipes are going on, and I still have to protect the top and leatherique the interior. I have to say, I know I said I wasn't crazy about the car initially, but I took it for a proper ride today with the sun out and the top down and we CONNECTED!! What a machine. Really just a joy to drive on a nice day on a curvy road. Handling, brakes, power delivery - all excellent. The 997 shifter actually turned out to be a nice touch as well. I still think it needs just a little more noise to wake it up though. Hoping the test pipes will help in that regard.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #80

Oh and a question about the headlight issue I was having. When I was driving the car during the day, the drivers side headlight (the projector, specifically) goes out after about 5 minutes. If I turn the car off, then back on again, it will go on for another 5 minutes. This is all with the headlight switch in the off position (I have DRLs). However, when I drove it just now in the dark, I had the switch all the way to the right (which basically just turns the interior lights on in my case) and both lights were still on after a 20min drive. So from what I'm gathering, whether or not that light stays on appears to be related to switch position, even though in my case all turning the switch to the right does is turn the interior lights on. Does this sound like an issue with the headlight switch? Or would an issue with the switch cause both lights to go out? Keep in mind, the light that is giving me trouble is the one that was undamaged, not the one I had to replace.