Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #21

good to know! funnily enough i thought about doing one yesterday as i have a spare sitting here doing nothing! maybe something else for me to give a try!

koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
i dont use the vacuum process, i just wet lay the carbon and build up various coats of resin/hardener and sand back to a smooth finish then finish off with standard car lacquer
And do you cover with plastic film the parts before resin cure? In photos some pieces look like carbon was compressed.
heiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiwaz View Post
And do you cover with plastic film the parts before resin cure? In photos some pieces look like carbon was compressed.
no, for all the parts above i actually cheat and use spray adhesive (the stuff people use to stick carpet tiles down in offices) and lay the cloth over this and conform it to the shape of the piece and allow it to dry and stick in place then i lay the resin over the top. these are not full carbon pieces but actually the original plastic part covered in carbon cloth.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #24
Rennzenn

Garage
Spray adhesive sounds like a good idea. I used black colored two part resin that took forever to get tacky and be ready for the cloth application.
No need for any plastic over top. The clear resin is self-leveling. Putting on a couple of coats gives it nice depth.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Spray adhesive sounds like a good idea. I used black colored two part resin that took forever to get tacky and be ready for the cloth application.
No need for any plastic over top. The clear resin is self-leveling. Putting on a couple of coats gives it nice depth.
the first couple parts i tried a while ago turned out ok using the 2 part black basecoat but i couldnt commit the time to sit and wait for it to go tacky and it was a pain to judge correctly.... the only real benifit it gave was the ability to reposition if you were very gentle....

a guy on a local forum suggested i try the spray adhesive and not folding excess cloth round corners, instead just hang if over the edges... this has worked wonders for me! the spray adhesive is ready 30 seconds after application and works great!