Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #1

Best MPH for highest MPG?

In these days of $3.40/gallon premium (in my area), I'm trying to eke out every last MPG I can. I remember taking a test drive in a Volvo some years ago and the sales guy mentioned that car got its highest MPG while being driven at 70MPH. What would you think the best steady speed would be in a Boxster to get the highest MPG?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #2

Best fuel mileage always occurs at peak torque (which means peak volumetric effiency). Not sure what MPH that would be for your car. It depends on what car you have (3 different transmissions from 97-04) and what size tire you are running on the back.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #3

Would the better question be.....What RPM am I developing the most torque?

From there we can decifer the MPH and gear to get the most efficiant milage.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #4

That is a very good question, but most of the Boxsters made peak torque at 4500RPM. The 2.7 makes peak torque at 4750. The 3.2 and 2.5 make it at 4500.

I should have been more clear. I knew what peak torque was for unmodified cars

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #5

Here we go:

B
Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #6

I have been doing a lot of homework on the engines as of late. I'm trying to come up with a racing combination: short stroke big bore good for 8500+ RPM. I currently like the air cooled 3.6 engines destroked to 3.2. I'm thinking about a 2.5 crank and 99mm 3.8 X51 bore. It will rev like no tomorrow.. ha ha.. only problem is: I started with a blown 986S engine

I'm trying to locate a cheapy 2.5

Pics of the disassembly coming soon.

B