Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #21
On the slippery slope

Garage
My spoiler comes up when I drive by a pretty woman

https://youtu.be/W9VsGjXkHeg

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 01-15-2016 at 10:13 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:11 AM   #22

Fred’s ballasts are simply the best-in-the-world (lol I wish).

These have built-in canbus (or simply put; have built-in capacitors). But then Canbus sounds better! They are incredibly simple and incorporate modern protections which is fact, I’ve been told, are copied of the infamous Hella’s. Those include open/short circuit protection, low/over voltage protection, etc. They are also shock, dust and water proof! I mean come on guys… all that for fifty bucks?!

It’s not the ballasts Dwight. The way we wired those up (now on little less than 500x Porsche cars) is same way the halogen are wired. From my experience, those who encounters battery light issues is about 2% so you can call your problem uncommon. U r unlucky Dwight :/ RE ballasts Even if you go for the “Porsche” part #991.618.323.03 which in fact cost nearly $500 (beware;each!), you are still going to have the same battery failure sensor trigger thingy. Yes someone I know of spent that amount of money, converted them to the AMP termination, thinking it would solve it. Same

To me, it appears to be a ‘resistance’ issue more than anything else; the ignition switch, the headlamp switch, a bad battery not pushing enough amp (or fast enough in this case) or even a bad ground would cause this issue. These are all part of the headlight circuitry that needs testing. Voltage regulator is also to be load-checked.

RE AC gremlins… believe me you do not need an oscilloscope or any super advanced equipment to test for that. Just open your radio and set the volume to medium/high. If you don’t hear a nasty buzzing sound your DC circuit is free of gremlins. That simple mate. If you are concerned about micro feedback just add a RF filter somewhere on the headlamp circuit… which is in fact an extra capacitor really.

Last year I was in Porsche here in Shanghai and had the opportunity to speak with one of their lead mechanics on this issue; change the battery or debug the charging systems he said. Battery light means the sensor thinks the battery is failing, any other stupid question? he asked back. What about the oil light?! I asked; he said don’t expect anything else to function normally is there is not enough current feeding the other devices (sensors in this case). Can it damage anything I asked; NO he said unless your super lights somehow demands a huge amount of power (e.g 30amps each loll) then you may want to look at replacing some of the stock wiring. What is the max current I can load on these Boxster without damaging anything I asked; (stupid question again he looked back) uhhh I think there is a 15amp fuse per each main light so I think you can safely load 14.999AMP per light. End of conversation RE headlight!

So… get the switches tested (ignition, headlamps), make sure your battery can push its advertised amp, voltage regulator should climb up to 14.5v and stay steady during a load test, etc etc. If you don’t want to bother looking up for the culprit then you can simply hook up your HID directly onto the battery and use a relay/harness to power them up. That weird resistance problem solved but lots of extra wiring required :/

Keep your el-cheapo ballasts man, they are really the best (in Shanghai, of course lol)
Old 01-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
just noticed this happening to my car the other day the oil light or a few other lights i just turn off the car and turn it back on i have noticed that once i get to where i am going my spoiler is up too haha
You Martin, spoiler up means going too fast for those little canadian roads lolll I think your problem is over speeding. But then you are friend with all of the RCMP in your town so I don't blame you for simply enjoying a Porsche car

ps: received the package back in Nov when I make it back in Shanghai. The villa's mgt office kept it all safe here for me. You da man, Martin. My wife was so impressed... she stole the pen and leather case. I looooove the book and the PCA badge man

I owe you. So grateful thanks brother
Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
My spoiler comes up when I drive by a pretty woman

https://youtu.be/W9VsGjXkHeg
Mine used to....but now I would need the Royal Purple Pill
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #25

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You Martin, spoiler up means going too fast for those little canadian roads lolll I think your problem is over speeding. But then you are friend with all of the RCMP in your town so I don't blame you for simply enjoying a Porsche car

ps: received the package back in Nov when I make it back in Shanghai. The villa's mgt office kept it all safe here for me. You da man, Martin. My wife was so impressed... she stole the pen and leather case. I looooove the book and the PCA badge man

I owe you. So grateful thanks brother
No problem! Glad both you both enjoyed it! My brother wants a set of those center caps for his 928! Haha

Haha it usually goes back down once I get to where I'm going . I think these problems are due to aging battery. I will confirm once I replace my battery haha
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #26

I have this problem intermittedly. It occurs maybe 1 in 10 times. Turning off and turning on the car does solve the problem. Turning on the headlights before starting the car also prevents this. I would like a more permanent solution. I thought about relays, and this seem like a decent amount of work.

Has anyone tried a capacitor solution? What capacitor would be a good one to use for this>
Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #27

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorman View Post
I have this problem intermittedly. It occurs maybe 1 in 10 times. Turning off and turning on the car does solve the problem. Turning on the headlights before starting the car also prevents this. I would like a more permanent solution. I thought about relays, and this seem like a decent amount of work.

Has anyone tried a capacitor solution? What capacitor would be a good one to use for this>

I changed my headlight switch / ignition switch and have had no further problems
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #28

The mfg of my HIDs sent me some tack on capacitors that did nothing tp help with that problem when installed. Then my spoiler started going to half mast when I stopped in traffic. That was enough. I removed the HID system and got a refund. Not worth the effort.