Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #1

Strut tower braces and interior squeaks/rattle

Is there a reduction in interior squeaks and rattles from the dash area and behind the seats with the shock towers braced to reduce frame flex on crappy roads? My thinking is less tub flex means less plastic interior parts rubbing. Guys running a cage tied in to the tub, do your cars have less squeaks?
Seams to me as soon I eliminate a squeak or rattle new ones take their place on the goat trails they call roads around here.

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

Yes with stock suspension.....it did help even with the struts in slight tension to counter act camber change.

With PSS9s in there more abrupt loading is put in to the body and now I have more rattles a squeaks. I have not retentioned the struts: tension up top; neutral rear- underneath
Old 10-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes with stock suspension.....it did help even with the struts in slight tension to counter act camber change.

With PSS9s in there more abrupt loading is put in to the body and now I have more rattles a squeaks. I have not retentioned the struts: tension up top; neutral rear- underneath
Thanks JayKay,

That's what I thought. Now to add it to the winters work list...
Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, in a street car a shock tower brace can help reduce front end flex but I doubt that it will solve the problem with squeaking interior components. The root cause of the problem is cheap interior parts which loosen and the problem isn't only a function of chassis flex or rough roads, a major contributor is simple old age.

In regards to a car with a full cage, the chassis is significantly stiffened by the cage. However, 90% of the interior is also removed so there are no speaks or rattles from those components.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, in a street car a shock tower brace can help reduce front end flex but I doubt that it will solve the problem with squeaking interior components. The root cause of the problem is cheap interior parts which loosen and the problem isn't only a function of chassis flex or rough roads, a major contributor is simple old age.

In regards to a car with a full cage, the chassis is significantly stiffened by the cage. However, 90% of the interior is also removed so there are no speaks or rattles from those components.
Thanks for your input Tom,

While stripping the car might get rid of the squeaks, I don't think the better half would like that

If the strut braces give can reduce flex, then by some measure the squeaks should be reduced. Right now I'll take any reduction, I feel like I'm loosing a battle with the squeaks and it's starting to sound like my old camaro, but without the v8 symphony.
The cost of strut braces doesn't seam huge and has other benefits, all be they slight for a road car, (maybe not existent but they can't hurt either). Maybe I'll bathe the interior in gummifluge and silicon spray while I'm at it...
Maybe strip the interior the winter after and leather wrap everything, ya that should do it right?