Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #1

What is the correct way to drive through a curve (spirited driving)?

When I come to an curvy exit ramp for example, do I accelerate going into it? Or midway into it? This is purely for fun to pull some Gs. Wondering what the correct way is.

new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #2

Garage
I like to roll onto the throttle from 3k rpm entering a sweeper and to have the revs at about 4.5k near the apex then full throttle from there on out
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

As fast as you can without sliding off.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Shiny side up.
But seriously, as long as you don't jump on the brakes during a high G corner, the car will probably have more grip than you have cojones.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

Flat out. That's the only way to drive. Flat out.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Get your braking done before turn-in or trail brake if you know how. Heel and toe if you have to downshift. Corner entry should be at a constant speed and mid-range rpm's. Try not to brake in the middle of the corner as it will upset the balance of the car - better to enter the corner too slow rather than too fast. A late apex always helps corner exit speed. Maintain speed, turn in, let the car roll and feel the suspension set; then throttle steer through mid-corner. Get back on the throttle to accelerate out of the corner and start to unwind the steering wheel as early as possible as you begin corner exit. Don't forget to use the entire width of the lane/road to allow the car to track out (to the extent possible). All the while, be aware of sand, gravel, and other road debris that might affect grip and adjust your line and control inputs accordingly.

That's it. Easy breezy.

If you really want to learn drive well, go to a local trackday and have an instructor ride along with you. You will learn the proper techniques, go faster than you ever could on the street, and have more fun than you ever thought possible.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-23-2015 at 11:44 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Sign up for an autocross. It gives you the opportunity to test the limits of your Boxster in a safe environment. I have PSM (Porsche Stability Management) on my Boxster. I have run autocrosses with it on and off. I've learned a lot. I learned that even with the PSM on I was able to lose control of the car and spin it. In the owner's manual it states that PSM cannot overcome the law of Physics... they were right. It is great to have learning lessons in an Autocross environment than on an on ramp.

You also meet some great folks at the events.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #8

Garage
As fast as you can with a big grin on your face.:dance:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Go to a PCA DE day(s)! This will answer all your questions. Highly recommended, safe and fun!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:05 PM   #10

Unless your talking about an exit ramp you are very familiar with, just be safe. If you're going into a corner you don't know, you can't know the apex, and without that info you won't know when to brake. Since you won't know when to brake, you won't know when to accelerate. As said, find a DE when you can. Working with an experienced instructor will increase your skills and confidence.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Get your braking done before turn-in or trail brake if you know how. Heel and toe if you have to downshift. Corner entry should be at a constant speed and mid-range rpm's. Try not to brake in the middle of the corner as it will upset the balance of the car - better to enter the corner too slow rather than too fast. A late apex always helps corner exit speed. Maintain speed, turn in, let the car roll and feel the suspension set; then throttle steer through mid-corner. Get back on the throttle to accelerate out of the corner and start to unwind the steering wheel as early as possible as you begin corner exit. Don't forget to use the entire width of the lane/road to allow the car to track out (to the extent possible). All the while, be aware of sand, gravel, and other road debris that might affect grip and adjust your line and control inputs accordingly.

That's it. Easy breezy.

If you really want to learn drive well, go to a local trackday and have an instructor ride along with you. You will learn the proper techniques, go faster than you ever could on the street, and have more fun than you ever thought possible.
^^^ this ^^^
'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

Garage
Watch this video over and over until you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkdg4VMdyE

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Watch this video over and over until you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkdg4VMdyE
Harry Hogge: What do you know about stock car racing?
Cole Trickle: Well... watched it on television, of course.
Harry Hogge: You've seen it on television?
Cole Trickle: ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up.
Harry Hogge: I'm sure I would.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:

That's it. Easy breezy.

I did a club/dealer-sponsored DE this spring with Porsche instructors (Kees Nierop and Jonathon Urlin) and this is exactly how they taught me to do it. Brake hard before the turn and go in slow, keep about 10% on the throttle through the middle part, and then ease on to full throttle (don't stomp it) on the way out. It took me about half the day to realize that I was trying to maintain too much speed going into the turn and I improved dramatically after that. The part that really stuck with me was how you use the front wheels to steer into the turn and the rear wheels to rotate the car out of it. It feels amazing when it works - major grin factor!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #15

Garage
Slow in Fast out
As most say, hard on the brakes just before curve, Shift somewhere at that point. Even throttle through the turn until at some point you get on the throttle to come out. A lot depends on the radius and grading of the road. You may even feel when the car is ready for acceleration out. That acceleration is what changes the balance of the car and makes curves so much fun

Last edited by kk2002s; 10-24-2015 at 07:57 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Harry Hogge: What do you know about stock car racing?
Cole Trickle: Well... watched it on television, of course.
Harry Hogge: You've seen it on television?
Cole Trickle: ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up.
Harry Hogge: I'm sure I would.
Buy Need for Speed and practice, practice, practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeW_drTwlNI

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Racer Boy

Be smooth! Smooth on the brakes (squeeze them), smooth steering inputs, smooth on the throttle (again, squeeze it). Abrupt inputs to any control can upset the attitude of the car and complicate things when you are really going quickly.

Smooth, smooth, smooth!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #18
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Be smooth! Smooth on the brakes (squeeze them), smooth steering inputs, smooth on the throttle (again, squeeze it). Abrupt inputs to any control can upset the attitude of the car and complicate things when you are really going quickly.

Smooth, smooth, smooth!
This applies to other things too........
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #19

Exit ramp?

Don't take those fast until you've had one on one instruction with your local PCA autocross instructor.
After which you still won't take thise fast. I can count at least one forum member who tore the wheels right of the car after hitting the curbing at speed...if memory serves the damage otherwise didn't look that bad but was bad enough for the insurance company to call it game over.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Shiny side up.
But seriously, as long as you don't jump on the brakes during a high G corner, the car will probably have more grip than you have cojones.
LOL, this is Exactly what I have found !!!!! The car has more grip than I have Balls..

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote