Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
2000 Boxster Normal

Smokin' deal on tops.

Hey guys, I don't pop in very often but I wanted to share a tip. German Auto Tops (whom I believe has bought up a couple of well known manufr's) is selling the A5 Haartz canvass tops for $399. I have one here just out of the box and it looks great. I have someone coming to install it. I'll let you know if there are any problems. If not, you might want to get one at this price even if for posterity.

(I have no connection with the seller or anyone in the business. You can find me on the 'bird' with some 29,000 posts so I'm real.) This is a tip, YMMV.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

glass window or plastic?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
glass window or plastic?
Plastic. No tops listed for the 03 & 04 986's.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The one mentioned is plastic. Here's a pic of it and more of their selection. I am not in the market (Have an extra plastic window top), but was curios.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
2000 Boxster Normal

I went with the original plastic. I understand the benefits of the glass retrofit but it's never too cold here in SoCal to operate the top. Also, the field of vision is drastically reduced and it's bad enough already. I can keep the plastic clear with care.

I only wish they had a zipper window option. That would be way cool to drive with the windows (all 3) down and the top up for the shade (read skin cancer which is a problem for us old farts that have spent a lifetime outdoors).
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Hey guys, I don't pop in very often but I wanted to share a tip. German Auto Tops (whom I believe has bought up a couple of well known manufr's) is selling the A5 Haartz canvass tops for $399. I have one here just out of the box and it looks great. I have someone coming to install it. I'll let you know if there are any problems. If not, you might want to get one at this price even if for posterity.

(I have no connection with the seller or anyone in the business. You can find me on the 'bird' with some 29,000 posts so I'm real.) This is a tip, YMMV.
Hi Zeke, I remember you from Pelican. Thanks for posting, please keep us updated. I was going to replace my window since my top is fine but might go this route.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

I've got nothing against the plastic window but the replacement with the glass it the best mod I've done.

I can't say I notice the reduced rear vison at all..I guess I got used to it.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote