Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #21

I've got ten days before my 2000 S goes into hibernation until the end of March. I used to have a sailboat on Lake Michigan - in the water the end of April, out of the water the end of October with good memories during the cold, dark winter. I think that the times without either the Boxster or the sailboat makes the time with them even more precious.

Today I had the top down enjoying a beautiful day, trees ablaze with fall colors and savoring the drive.

You guys in warm climes get the extreme weather - hurricanes, mudslides, forest fires, earthquakes, drought... you can have them all. I'll take a few days of brutal cold and a couple snowdrifted driveways any time over that.

The other cars - Volvo xc70 (4 wheel drive) and Acura CL-S (with snow tires) are fine in snow while I wait for Spring and the joy of Boxstering again.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Try Winnipeg in mid January. Although last winter wasn't too bad, the winter before was most definitely 'brutal'. Record snow AND record cold temperatures in Winnipeg. Remember 'Colder than Mars'?
That was a rough winter. -40, howling winds, massive snow drifts... and we we went outside it was even worse.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #23
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
That was a rough winter. -40, howling winds, massive snow drifts... and we we went outside it was even worse.
And that was June!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #24

Al Gore

and Global Warming
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #25

Garage
If I didn't have the boxster in the garage over the winter with the cover on, where would I hide my Christmas presents? Best hiding spot ever.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #26

Oh to live in Florida! I should offer you guys the chance to send your Boxsters to me so I can drive them here
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #27

It's beautiful up there, would love to visit, but I wouldn't want to live any further north than I already am. Saw a Subaru with Montana plates on it in traffic today. The body was pure rusty Swiss cheese up to the windows!
Parked next to a late 90s pickup a few weeks back that had Ontario plates on it. It was so rusty that it was sagging in the middle. The frame was cracked in half. They were driving it like that like it was nothing.
I guess you flat have to have a winter beater for anywhere north of, say, Kansas City.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
It's beautiful up there, would love to visit, but I wouldn't want to live any further north than I already am. Saw a Subaru with Montana plates on it in traffic today. The body was pure rusty Swiss cheese up to the windows!
Parked next to a late 90s pickup a few weeks back that had Ontario plates on it. It was so rusty that it was sagging in the middle. The frame was cracked in half. They were driving it like that like it was nothing.
I guess you flat have to have a winter beater for anywhere north of, say, Kansas City.
Well, I'm gonna say we're both north of KC and a little bit higher elevation....:ah:
Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
I've got ten days before my 2000 S goes into hibernation until the end of March. I used to have a sailboat on Lake Michigan - in the water the end of April, out of the water the end of October with good memories during the cold, dark winter. I think that the times without either the Boxster or the sailboat makes the time with them even more precious.

Today I had the top down enjoying a beautiful day, trees ablaze with fall colors and savoring the drive.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
+1 I put mine away on the same dates. Took an extra long weekend this past weekend, and took her on a nice road trip. Drove down to West Virginia on Friday. Stayed with some friends, and drove some great roads. Spent some time at Hawks Nest, and checked out Bridge Day. Got to take a Polaris Slingshot for a spin. Left Sunday, and drove to Canton Ohio. Went to the NFL hall of fame Monday, and then came back to Toronto. Top down the entire time. Nice way to end the summer, before she goes to bed.
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
Ah, the whole salt/rust thing is WAY overblown. If you take care of your car, make sure scratches and chips are fixed and you give it a bath once and a while, you will be fine. Seriously, it is extremely rare to see the proverbial rust bucket anymore.
I put mine away because I want to preserve it for the summer, top down driving months. And by preserve I mean keep the km's down. Don't want to waste kms in the winter!
Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 AM   #31

Nuff said.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 AM   #32

I guess it is mostly older neglected northern cars I've seen traveling down here over the years then. It's probably just those that stand out. Gives a false impression.
I still hate the cold though!
Here we have 3 months of winter and severe winter weather maybe... 3 weeks collectively?
To be fair though, we then swing into often violent springs.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 10-21-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:43 AM   #33
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Nuff said.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
We will not have to do that until around Christmas, I spent quite a bit of time in Rochester and up north...I understand. Do you leave the car on Jack Stands to keep from forming flat spots on the tires ?
Store it in my friend's heated garage. I've typically over inflated the tires over the winter (this car, past e30 M3, past e36 M3, etc) and never had a flat spotting issue that way.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Ah, the whole salt/rust thing is WAY overblown. If you take care of your car, make sure scratches and chips are fixed and you give it a bath once and a while, you will be fine. Seriously, it is extremely rare to see the proverbial rust bucket anymore.
Can't agree with that. Salt plays havoc with the underside mechanical components no matter how how try to look after it. Well, unless you have a hoist and and a pressure washer and can thoroughly wash the underside weekly.

My car has never been winter driven in all its 16 years. It still looks new underneath and I have yet to encounter a seized fastener. Not so with my 10 year old, winter-driven truck.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Do you leave the car on Jack Stands to keep from forming flat spots on the tires ?
It is my understanding that is is not good for the suspension components to leave them hanging unsupported for extended periods of time. I follow the over-inflation directions in the owners manual and have had no flat-spotting issues.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #37

Put mine away for the winter on Tuesday. Snowing hard in the Colorado Mountains today. I have other vehicles to drive in the winter and it's like getting a new car every spring.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #38

Garage
Mine is not due for slumber till mid november. I like to take advantage of the occasional nice fall day we get. When she goes to sleep I wash, clay, Polish, wax, fill the tank and put some stabil in, oil and filter, and then inflate the tires to 50 pounds all around, put the battery tender on and cover her up.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
Store it in my friend's heated garage. I've typically over inflated the tires over the winter (this car, past e30 M3, past e36 M3, etc) and never had a flat spotting issue that way.
I also have a E36, my daily driver....most dependable car I have ever owned. (I wish it was a M3)
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #40

Amusing that, given all the shots about Winnipeg's supposedly frigid climate, the weather is still great here and my car is still on the road. Ha!