Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 05:06 AM   #1

Garage
Unhappy MY02 S cranks but won't start - looking for insights from a video

Hi all, greetings from Australia.

I've managed to buy myself a low km's project car and the first hurdle is to diagnose why it won't start.

I bought it knowing that the ignition switch was faulty. So I swapped out the original switch for the Volkswagen equivalent (was cheaper from VW than it was from Audi) and have moved on to problem number 2. I'm disappointed as the switch was behaving very badly so I'm surprised that anyone could drive it long enough to give it chance to even develop a second fault! It was definitely the original switch that I replaced.

It is clearly getting fuel as the smell is very strong. It is getting spark - I checked. I also cleaned also up the plugs a little but no change. It won't quite fire up. It kicks and skips along, but won't run.

https://youtu.be/muGvW7ziiZI

Am I save to assume that it can't be alarm related as the alarm would prevent it cranking? I have only one key and I believe it's the valet key - it has an LED light but no remote buttons.

It arrived with a flat battery (ignition switch wouldn't switch off) but it has a code - I'll go re-check what the code was and add that shortly...

Thanks in advance gents.

Al.

Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote