Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #1

Garage
Surely not just for sunny days.......

.... over here in the UK I see many drivers of convertibles with the their roofs up even when it's sunny..... why do people buy convertibles if they're not going to take every opportunity to get it down...? Posers perhaps......waiting for just the right temp.?

I for one, subscribe to the theory that if it's dry...get the roof off.

I see plenty of users on here mentioning "the end of season" time of year.

How often do you guys and girls go topless and what temperature is your limit..?

Admittedly she's not my DD but I do try to drive her at least twice a week including at least one day a week to work on lovely, quiet, twisty, Shropshire B-roads.

Last year, before I consulted the user manual, I had the roof off at minus 2C...won't do it again due to the risk of damage to the roof mechanism but that's the only reason... after all, the heaters in these cars are exceptional and with the deflector and windows up, it's not a buffeting cockpit.

Just curious is all.......hats and scarves were invented for a reason.

Happy topless motoring

Si.

SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #2

Temperature range: (F) 55-85
Sunny or cloudy, day or night, as long as it's not raining.
However, since it's my daily, the top stays up if I have to arrive somewhere 100% fresh and neat of appearance. (ex. For a meeting with the boss or a client, etc)
The climate control does a good job of taking the edge off of the extremes of the above temps.

I used to be more extreme, but I must be getting softer as I get older.
Also, I have never driven with the top down and the windows up. I have to have the full open car experience or not at all.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 10-06-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:42 AM   #3

Simple answer as to why I keep mine seasonal, SALT! They love to skimp on the actual plowing of the snow and instead just dump loads of salt on the ground to melt it in Chicago. As far as top down driving, the Box is pretty much top down every time I pull out of the garage.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #4

Why do people always go to the 'posers' argument just because someone does something different than them? I love driving my car, but there are times putting the roof down makes no sense, such as if I'm heading to a business meeting and need to keep presentable.
As to temps....well, temp itself is not the deciding factoR alone. It's a combination of temp and sun. A nice clear sunny day? Top usually goes down if temp is in double digits (Celsius).
Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
Temperature range: (F) 55-85
Sunny or cloudy, day or night, as long as it's not raining.
However, since it's my daily, the top stays up if I have to arrive somewhere 100% fresh and neat of appearance. (ex. For a meeting with the boss or a client, etc)
The climate control does a good job of taking the edge off of the extremes of the above temps.

I used to be more extreme, but I must be getting softer as I get older.
Also, I have never driven with the top down and the windows up. I have to have the full open car experience or not at all.
I used to not drive with the windows up, but now I have tried just leaving the passenger window up and it's great. The wind is way down but you don't feel enclosed.

Also below 40 F, I stop driving the car because I have summer tires and it would get dangerous.
Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:23 AM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

On the track, its roof up, windows down cuz that's the rules. On cool sunny days, it's roof down, windows up. A few degrees warmer, laid bare! Really hot and sticky in the city, all up and a blast of AC! That's the beauty of having an electric roof: an easy choice. Drop the top at the drop of a hat!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #7

The simple answer is that Boxsters only came as convertibles ! It doesn't mean you have to take the top down. Sometimes I don't feel like getting cooked, or freezing, or I'd rather listen to the radio than the wind, so I leave the top up. In winter (November through March here) I use my hard top to keep out the cold, snow and slush.

Besides, why do you care whether or not other people drive with the top down? Do whatever blows your hair back !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOSH1970 View Post
.... over here in the UK I see many drivers of convertibles with the their roofs up even when it's sunny..... why do people buy convertibles if they're not going to take every opportunity to get it down...? Posers perhaps......waiting for just the right temp.?

I for one, subscribe to the theory that if it's dry...get the roof off.

I see plenty of users on here mentioning "the end of season" time of year.

How often do you guys and girls go topless and what temperature is your limit..?

Admittedly she's not my DD but I do try to drive her at least twice a week including at least one day a week to work on lovely, quiet, twisty, Shropshire B-roads.

Last year, before I consulted the user manual, I had the roof off at minus 2C...won't do it again due to the risk of damage to the roof mechanism but that's the only reason... after all, the heaters in these cars are exceptional and with the deflector and windows up, it's not a buffeting cockpit.

Just curious is all.......hats and scarves were invented for a reason.

Happy topless motoring

Si.
It gets really hot here in Texas during the summer. No top down for me during that time. Maybe an occasional night drive, but those are rare too when it is still in the mid 90's F at night. There are many convertibles here, some people drive with their tops down even on the hottest days. The top is down for me all fall and winter though.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #9
Luckyed

Garage
No offense to those that do, but I can't understand putting the top down then rolling the windows up.
If it's too hot to put the top down, don't put it down.
I do leave my AC on when the top is down, but with the temp set on 80 degrees.

Actually since I don't use the Porsche as a DD, the top stays down WAY more than it is up.

The top is only used for parking in questionable areas and/or getting caught out driving when a shower pops up.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
The only time the top is up is when I am parked where I can not see the car or it is raining.
Being in San Diego, we don't get much rain, nor does it normally get below 40. It does get hot, sometimes 100+, but not too often. When it is hot, AC is on and closer, heater is on.

Of course at the track, top is up for the rules and safety.

It's a roadster, so top and windows down is the proper configuration
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
No offense to those that do, but I can't understand putting the top down then rolling the windows up.

"Hater-blockers" as I refer to them(have 5% tint on mine)

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:26 AM   #12

Garage
Sometimes I push top down beyond uncomfortable
Last night my wife and I were driving home top down (3 hours, top down, into a 4 hour drive)
It was dark, about 56 degrees. We had the heat going, windows up. My wife had her hoodie up over here head.
I was just about to get onto the highway and drive 75-80 mph.
I'm either getting to old or just smarter - I put the top up

We even commented before I pulled over - Why do we have the top down with the heat on, windows up and bundled up at night???

Also sometime the trip isn't long enough (15 mins or less) to justify (my mind) putting it down just to put it right back up
Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
It is out of habit for me from living in Germany. Out on the autobahn, cruising at 130 mph, you get nothing but loud wind noise. Both in my Boxster or my BMW, the roof was down any time possible but the windows were always up when I was really moving. I do the same thing here if I have to go out on the interstate for extended trips. Now back roads and such, all windows are down. Esp. with the BMW, with the roof down, windows up, you can have a regular conversation without having to yell at each other.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #14
Luckyed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
It is out of habit for me from living in Germany. Out on the autobahn, cruising at 130 mph, you get nothing but loud wind noise. Both in my Boxster or my BMW, the roof was down any time possible but the windows were always up when I was really moving. I do the same thing here if I have to go out on the interstate for extended trips. Now back roads and such, all windows are down. Esp. with the BMW, with the roof down, windows up, you can have a regular conversation without having to yell at each other.
That exemplifies the two different types of driving we do.
I rarely take the highway when in the convertible.
Here in Florida the roads are set up in such a linear pattern that many roads all go to the same place.
So we can cruise up the coastline for a slower, but quieter trip.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #15

Garage
My top is down if it's 50 F or higher. Or if I have a broad in the car. And you can safely assume that by my using the word "broad", I don't have many female passengers.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

The weather can be absolutely perfect and I will keep the top up and the AC running.

Why? Allergies. On our most gorgeous days in Houston, the pollen count and ragweed spore count are off the charts.

And people wonder why I so desperately want to move away from Houston.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #17
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
My top is down if it's 50 F or higher. Or if I have a broad in the car. And you can safely assume that by my using the word "broad", I don't have many female passengers.
LOL classic!!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Top down for the most part till it gets down to 40 f. Sometimes on a long ( over 100 miles ) hi way trip I will keep it up. If it starts raining I just go faster and put the windows up.

Last year we were up in the Adirondack mountains checking out the fall leaves. About 50 degrees and kinda raining. We were cruising around 65 mph, so the rain was not getting into the cabin. We come up on a road block for an immigration check point. The boarder patrol cop asks if we are getting wet with the top down. My wife shoots back, not as long as we keep moving. The cop just laughs and says have a nice day
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

My top down range is 65-80 (used to be 85). I don't do the top down, windows up thing.

And don't call me Shirley.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
On the slippery slope

Garage
I guess you picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote