Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #1

Window going up when door handle released

2000 standard (not S) just started doing this today. The problem is only with the drivers side window/door. With the window all the way up when you open the door either inside or outside it drops down like it should. As soon as you let go of the handle either inside or outside the window goes all the way up. This makes the window up to high to close the door unless you hold the door handle in and then close quickly.

Window regulator bad? The window functions nornally other than this with not grinding. Door latch or other mechanism in the door or latch?

Mike.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #2

I just had this same exact problem on my 04 S. There is a small micro switch in the door lock mechanism that controls the window up and down. You can not just change out the micro switch. I got a used door lock mechanism from Woody and changed it out in about an hour. Works like a champ now.

Before you tackle this problem, I would buy new door panel clips (8 each door) because as you pull the panel away from the door, these clips tend to break. They get brittle as they get older.

Easy project. PM me if you have any questions about this.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

Thanks

I will PM you with a few questions.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Project Addicted

Mike, as you questions here so we all benefit from the answers and solutions!

There are multiple switches that the door works with, one on the interior handle and one on the outer handle/lock and I think there is one on the latch itself, so it knows when the door is closed or open. All have to be operating properly for the widow up down to work right.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

I've go this exact same thing but luckily on my passenger side. I have got the lock mechanism to fix, just have never gotten around to it. There are a couple of threads on renntech.org where a few folks have used a microswitch from mouser to replace the failed one without getting a whole new lock assembly but I don't have the threads handy and it was not a step-by-step DIY, more just general information.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
2000 standard (not S) just started doing this today. The problem is only with the drivers side window/door. With the window all the way up when you open the door either inside or outside it drops down like it should. As soon as you let go of the handle either inside or outside the window goes all the way up. This makes the window up to high to close the door unless you hold the door handle in and then close quickly.

Window regulator bad? The window functions nornally other than this with not grinding. Door latch or other mechanism in the door or latch?

Mike.
Mike,

Is your alarm indicator on (red light on the console)?

I ask because I intermittently have the same problem with my passenger door.

John
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Alarm Indictor

The alarm was on once yesterday. Opened the top and closed it and it went off and stayed off. This is the roof light on the dash in red.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Sorry to miss your email. Had 30 big radiators to move then got a small piece of steel stuck in my eye. Having it removed shortly. Man this sucks.

Glad these good folks have you covered.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #9

I have the same problem on the drivers door. I have a 97 Boxster. I have already changed out the window regulator, door lock mechanism, and the outside and inside door handles. I still have the same problem. Anyone reading this have any idea's? I have to old the handle partially up to keep the window down and then release it after the door is closed to seal the window.

BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote