Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

pricing feedback request for 986 S needed asap

Hi fellow 986 lovers. I have found an 04 986 S stick with 56K miles that i am interested in buying. The car is in excellent condition and has the following items/options:
CD, cruise, heated seats, leather, keyless entry, mp3 connectivity, bose audio, PL,PW,alarm, 50K mile service documentation, 2 owners, silver/black, euro m030 suspension, 4 -18 in Carerra III wheels which are being sols separately, headlamp washers, stability management, wind deflector, Xenon lamps, on board computer, factory short shifter, ashtray delete, 2nd center console, 996 GT3 brake cooling ducts, clear bra. i have looked at edmunds, etc for pricing, but because of several items above that are not part of pricing valuations, i am having trouble coming up with a fair numb er for the both of us. Car is very solid, rides great. Hoping you can provide pricing with and without the 18 inch wheels. Thanks in advance to everyone.

gatogrande

gatogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Options add little value on a 11 year old car. Condition is far more important. Figure $14k to $18k. MAKE SURE YOU GET A PPI before closing the deal. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Used OEM factory Carrera 18" five spoke wheels can go for $700-$1,500 depending on condition. I cracked one a few years back and the cheapest I could find a single replacement wheel was $500 and it still needed to be refinished ($150). Be careful that they are not replicas, you can tell by the weight. Factory Carreras weight about 21 pounds each minus the tire obviously. But even the move heaiver replica wheels have gone up in price, they used to go for about $700 on Ebay, then went up to $1,100 at one point.

It sounds like this car was mostly enthusiast owned, most casual owners would not upgrade the brake ducting to the GT3 units and move to the sportier suspension, ditto for the clear bra. It's always good when you find an enthusiast owned car vs. used lot car with unknown history. Based on what I've seen in Excellence Magazine (the buyer's guide is available at Barnes & Noble now) I'd say that car is worth about $14k without the wheels. There are a ton of Boxsters for sale, but not many with all the repairs addressed. The first big one with your car is the clutch/IMS/RMS and possibly flywheel. My clutch, because of a great deal of city driving did not last 70K miles before I had to spend nearly $4k on the new clutch and upgrading the IMS. So if you drive the car about 10k miles a year you have another 3-4 years left on it depending on your driving needs and style. You should replace the water pump if its still on the original, if the pre-purchase inspection (PPI) checks out and that should include a leak down and compression test of the engine. If you get bad numbers on that the car won't be worth the hassle.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-05-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote