Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #1

Replacement Review Mirror

Has anyone replaced their stock review mirror with an aftermarket (auto dim/homelink model)? The stock mount does not appear to be compatible with after market versions. Can you safely remove the stock mount from the glass without destroying the windshield? Any idea how to afix the new mount on the glass. I'm sure a trip to the dealer would fix my concerns, but surely would not answer my questions.

mark
2001 Boxster

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #2

This info may help:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3692&pid=17736&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #3

Voilla......Of comes the RVM!

Great instructions. I made my own "Porsche Tool #xxxxxx" with a pair of Channel Locks and some 1/2" tubing to protect the teeth on the jaws. Only a 90 degree turn counter clockwise removed the mirror housing. I now have the button that is epoxied to the glass to contend with. Any suggestions on how to pop this thing off without pulling the glass along with it? Mark
mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh98
Great instructions. I made my own "Porsche Tool #xxxxxx" with a pair of Channel Locks and some 1/2" tubing to protect the teeth on the jaws. Only a 90 degree turn counter clockwise removed the mirror housing. I now have the button that is epoxied to the glass to contend with. Any suggestions on how to pop this thing off without pulling the glass along with it? Mark

This article shows application of heat to help install the mirror. Perhaps application of heat may aid in the removal.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/1272426.html

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote