Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 05:44 AM   #1

S s s s s s s

Why is it when someone posts something about their Boxster, they always have to specify they have an 'S'? It's always "My Boxster S" and they will repeat that throughout their post....Boxster S this and Boxster S that. My Boxster S key fob doesn't work. My Boxster S headlight switch isn't working. I need the code for my Boxster S radio.....

It's almost like we have a class system just in Boxsters. Heaven forbid we all think they only have a BASE Boxster! Yuck!

I find it amusing as many boxster owners are so sensitive to whether or not this is even a 'real' porsche - yet those same have set up a class system to make sure no one thinks they have but a lowly BASE model!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:47 AM   #2

I agree, I always wondered why it mattered if it was an "S" or not. "My S this, my S that..." (I own an S !).

Last edited by Joe B; 09-25-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

Garage
It's my understanding that some issues occur on certain models ie. Base or S. Plus I believe they are made a little different ie. parts etc. Also, we all know there is a huge price difference between the models too. So I would have to disagree with you and say its important that users specify which model version and year when they are listing information about their car as it can make a big difference in some cases. The same goes for any car... ex. Elantra base vs Limited... big difference even on those cars. I don't think people are doing it because they want to say a non-S is not real... I think people on here say its an S or not because they want others to provide the best advice and details based on exactly what they are driving. A problem with a 2001 S vs 2002 S could have two different solutions because the year apart... same with a S or Base for the same year. We have good people on here and very helpful too which I appreciate - lets not spoil the atmosphere !!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #4

Garage
Majority of the time it does apply to the question.

When referring to driving dynamics or problems it matters what engine the car has as well as its model year usually. Similar to including if the car has an auto transmission or not.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #5

I *think* I only do it when talking about mods or parts or performance related discussions. Now I wonder... At work my boss used to fuss at me when I would go meet customers and leave "Senior" out of my title... I feel like I am relatively modest.

Steve

2000 Boxster S
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Why is it when someone posts something about their Boxster, they always have to specify they have an 'S'? It's always "My Boxster S" and they will repeat that throughout their post....Boxster S this and Boxster S that. My Boxster S key fob doesn't work. My Boxster S headlight switch isn't working. I need the code for my Boxster S radio.....

It's almost like we have a class system just in Boxsters. Heaven forbid we all think they only have a BASE Boxster! Yuck!

I find it amusing as many boxster owners are so sensitive to whether or not this is even a 'real' porsche - yet those same have set up a class system to make sure no one thinks they have but a lowly BASE model!
Its not a class thing. Its an important component when using the net for information. As others have said too. They are different vehicles.

My Xterra is an X model, the lowest one. I have no problem with being specific about that. The X does the job just fine.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Not a class thing at all. In fact unless it is something that relates to something that is specific or different on my car, I just call it my Boxster or my 986.

It is the same as specifying the model year. There are differences between the base and the S such as engine, brakes and suspension.

Its the same with the 996 with C2, C2S, C4, C4s, Turbo, etc
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #9

Geez, can't you find something more worthwhile at which to take offense? Put the top down, let the sun shine in and thicken your skin a little bit.
The info is frequently relevant, and even when not, should be considered a matter of interest on an enthusiasts' forum...
I don't get offended when someone mentions they have a 3.4 swap, a Raby build,a cocoa interior 550, or a new paint job. But then I don't have a chip on my shoulder either, nor do I automatically assume someone driving a base model can't be an enthusiast.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's relevant because all S models have a single row IMS bearing (minus the 2000 S models, which have a 50/50 chance of having either).
I'm proud to have a BASE '99 with DUAL ROW IMSB!

That, and a base is nothing to be ashamed of. It's still a lot of car and the difference in performance between the two isn't as great as some would like to believe (the 0-60 time difference from the very first 986 2.5 base to the last 986S 3.2 is all of 1 second).

Last edited by particlewave; 09-25-2015 at 09:05 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Geez, can't you find something more worthwhile at which to take offense? Put the top down, let the sun shine in and thicken your skin a little bit.
The info is frequently relevant, and even when not, should be considered a matter of interest on an enthusiasts' forum...
I don't get offended when someone mentions they have a 3.4 swap, a Raby build,a cocoa interior 550, or a new paint job. But then I don't have a chip on my shoulder either, nor do I automatically assume someone driving a base model can't be an enthusiast.
Who took offence? Who has a chip? I just find it funny and silly.

I get that sometimes it does matter - when referring to the technical specifics - but my reference was directly to those that post about how their key fobs don't work or their top isn't working....but have to specify it's an S - which makes no diff in most situations.

I would say 90% of the vehicles are the same and having to tell us it's an S only really applies to a very small fraction of situations.

Just seems to be for the most part, an ego thing, which is just silly.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

I have an S. I didn't buy it because it was an S or I look down on the base model. I bought it because it happened to be the best Boxster I could find, at the time. Base or otherwise. When I post in here, I always say it is an S in case that turns out to be relevant to our discussion.
It is interesting though, that when I was looking and came here looking for advice, I had many people tell me to spend the extra money, and buy an S, because it was "better".
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

I actually appreciate knowing the exact model and year - it helps immensely with providing accurate advice.

In general, the people on this site post with the least amount of ego in the entire world of automotive internet forums!

Now, if we can just get all of the new people to post pics - THEN I'll be happy!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-25-2015 at 06:24 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #14
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Too funny....

...you should troll the ADV motorcycle forum.. If you think the "S" posts are class warfare, try the BMW GS vs. KTM Vs. V-Strom Vs. Yamaha S10 arguments.

Don't even get me started on the Harley vs. every other cruiser and liter bike vs. liter bike.

Look man, if you own an "S", you post that your car is an "S". This forum is designed to share info for the greater good of Boxster ownership. Knowing that a poster is describing an "S" is one more data point to help you figure out what the answer is to your Boxster situation.

Enjoy your car, and don't let other people affect your mood.

Cheers!
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #15

Because sometimes it matters as you are either saying my car is like yours or my car is sorta like yours but only in some ways. It always bugs me when people don't post the model year info because I can't intuit what manual to look in for an answer to their question.

Owned a base and an S. I've said many times on the forums the base was more fun.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

Garage
S s s s s s s

I'll go further and defend the identification of a car as an S beyond tech advice.

We are all analytical German car owners. We're mostly detail oriented people. Even if someone is just talking about getting their key fob fixed, I tend to care about their car and the details involved.

There are so many varieties within boxsters that I always like to learn how each forum members car is different.

The colors, who has an s, who has a tip, who has this option or that option.

It's all interesting and in an enthusiast setting (particularly for Porsche German cars) the details matter a lot! If you take offense to someone having an option on their box that you don't then this isn't the place for you.

I comment frequently about my S and the 2.5 I used to own. Particularly when people are asking on what car to buy I'll leave my impression of both.

The good thing is one isn't always better than the other. Same as how a tip has its benefits to a manual so does a 2.5 to a 3.2.

And even better, they are each good for their own reasons. A 2.5 has a more exotic exhaust note and provides a more classic feel (particularly on 16s!.) while an S on 265 rear 18s is going to be an entirely different dynamic that is better in different situations.

Happy motoring, I never felt inferior when I had a base, and never feel superior now that I have an S.

The only time that I do get a little pissy is when I see a highly modded boxster in public that is made to look like an S but has only 2 radiators up front. That's not cool.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #17

Don't take offense when somebody specifies their model bro.. these guys here even the "S" guys would be the first to respond if you needed help with your Boxster no matter what model you have. Heck go to the 911 sites and you will see more classifications then you ever want to see of who has the better 911 model etc. To me the Boxster S or not is the best handling car ever build..
Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
I don't get offended when someone mentions they have a 3.4 swap, a Raby build,a cocoa interior 550, or a new paint job.
I have to admit those snooty cocoa interior 550 guys piss me off a bit. Most of them think they're too good to drink their milk from bags.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #19
Track rat

Garage
Model designation never bothered me a bit. Drive what you like. I don't see class warfare here at all.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #20
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I have to admit those snooty cocoa interior 550 guys piss me off a bit. Most of them think they're too good to drink their milk from bags.
Hmmmm. For me, it's the poor (as in cash-strapped) members who call their car a 'base' when it's actually a 'Non-S'.

Or, the 'Wussamatic' owners who insist on calling it a 'Tip'.

Or worse yet, 987 owners on the 986 forums. Sheeeeesh.

Last edited by Timco; 09-26-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote