Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

clamshell does not close one side

One side of my clamshell is a little bit loose and does not lock completely on closed state (comparing to another side). I checked V lever and it’s identical both sides. “bad” side edge sits a little bit higher than good one. I think as “closed” lid position corresponds to two different V lever rotations it has to be either V lever transmission axis offset or some bad (weak spring?) rod. Eccentric bolt has almost zero effect on the situations. It fills like in both roof up and roof down scenarios there is not enough tension on “bad” side to hold lid down.

ftp19601960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Garage
You can adjust the position of the lid by using a drill directly connected to the transmission cable.
You will have to do that with the lid open though.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:42 AM   #3

It would help only if there is difference in roof up and down positions but there is no.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Wait I know this one! It just happened to me... Double check your cables from the top. One side of mine had popped off and that made the clamshell stick up a little when closing the top.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #5

no, roof cables seem to be ok
Old 09-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #6

After disconnecting all rods the clamshell does not lie flat on its own. I guess I need to untwist it back.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #7

Garage
You had mentioned in an earlier post about the noise behind drivers shoulder, I am assuming the "bad" side is the drivers side.

Look at part labeled 21 in diagram, it is a plastic cover attaching to the glide rail.

It connects via two tabs that slide over the glide rail, you can either just slide off to remove and see if that may be the issue of them binding on the glide rail when closing.

When replacing my transmission and cables for the top I did not have one side correctly attached and it did bind a bit preventing top complete closure of the clam shell.

Takes quite a bit of force to bend the clam shell permanently as they are made to be flexible.

Good luck
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

I suspect "noise" is quite natural in my case as "bad" side is not completely flat/tight. So it moves a little under load. I have no idea what clamshell is bent. As many boxster owners I'm poor guy who bought it after many owners. I only removed cover to verify that transmission is original and bolted in factory and I did not find any trace on the body of some collision repair. But shell really looks skewed. There is visible gap difference between "good" and "bad" side.
I have very close to what in How do you straighten a bent clamshell? - 986 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions - RennTech.org Community
Old 09-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

Garage
an easy way to adjust would be to raise top enough so you can access the cable motor in the middle of clam shell near trunk lid (see photo).

whichever side is higher disconnect the opposite cable, then from inside the car using the top switch tap it a couple of times close then reconnect the cable and close all the way. Might have to do this a couple of times to adjust.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #10

I know this thread is a few years old and I am new to the forum. I was hoping someone out there could still comment on this.

I have a similar problem. On mine, the passenger side of the clam shell doesn’t close all the way when the top is fully down. The clam shell closes fine when the top is up. I’m curious if removing the opposite side cable will work for the fully down application as well. Thanks!
kissinjr2000986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissinjr2000986 View Post
I know this thread is a few years old and I am new to the forum. I was hoping someone out there could still comment on this.

I have a similar problem. On mine, the passenger side of the clam shell doesn’t close all the way when the top is fully down. The clam shell closes fine when the top is up. I’m curious if removing the opposite side cable will work for the fully down application as well. Thanks!
Have you tried making sure the top is not bunching up or causing the issue.
When I lower mine I lower it part way then make sure the plastic window is laying in with no creases or folds.then lower it more check again rinse repeat.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote