Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2021, 05:30 AM   #1

5 Speed Clutch Bite Point?

I did search and found one old thread talking about the clutch bite point being about half way up the pedal travel, but in my recently purchased 02 Boxster base the clutch bite point is probably in the last 20-30% or so of the pedal travel (very, very high).

The clutch has been replaced previously so I'm wondering if this is where the bite point normally is for a Boxster. My understanding is there's not much that can be done until changing out the clutch so i'll have to get used to it, but I was curious if mine was abnormal.

Thanks!

jimmybionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #2

I had my clutch replaced about 20,000 miles ago. The best I can remember is that before the replacement and certainly now, it engages at about the last 30% or so of the pedal travel. It's something I've just gotten use to over the years.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 AM   #3

Thanks - I appreciate the quick reply. I am adjusting to it, but first gear is definitely a doozy, especially up hill, without either taking off aggressively or burning the clutch.
jimmybionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #4

Yep, I know what you mean. I still remember not long after I got the car I got stuck on a very short but VERY steep hill. WOW! trying to balance that start without stalling out or burning up the clutch was an experience I do not want to repeat. Finding that engagement point takes some time.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #5

Replacing the clutch return spring with a softer one was a popular mod a few years back: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/343297-improved-clutch-action-dramatically.html

I got the springs from McMaster Carr (P/N 9657K142) that are referenced in the thread above and it really improves the feel.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Yep, I know what you mean. I still remember not long after I got the car I got stuck on a very short but VERY steep hill. WOW! trying to balance that start without stalling out or burning up the clutch was an experience I do not want to repeat.
Use your handbrake to keep from rolling backwards. That frees up your right foot for the gas pedal. Give it some throttle, release the clutch pedal and release the handbrake pretty much simultaneously. Takes bit of practice.

https://youtu.be/h03L07IOWHU
maxnine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #7

The clutch on my '99 was replaced around 30k miles ago and it grabs very low- within the first 30% of clutch pedal travel. My DD Mazda3 has 152k on the original clutch and is grabbing in the last 30% of pedal travel. It can be interesting going back and forth between the two!

986andmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bite point , clutch , engagement