Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 AM   #1
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Headlight recommendations

So guys, while I like the original halogen headlights, I prefer an "updated" look on my BlackBox. I REALLY love the look of the LED upgrades that I have installed but IF I am unsuccessful in finding a replacement for my driver side after market headlight, what recommendations do you have: Litronics, kits, etc????

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imari View Post
So guys, while I like the original halogen headlights, I prefer an "updated" look on my BlackBox. I REALLY love the look of the LED upgrades that I have installed but IF I am unsuccessful in finding a replacement for my driver side after market headlight, what recommendations do you have: Litronics, kits, etc????
Read about your lost :/ what a mess. Recommendations are anything other than going back to halogens lolll. The bi-xenon kit I make does the job pretty well. That or the litronic which are also very capable headlights (given you hand polish/clear the glass lens that comes stock with those). You can actually find cheaper deals on litronics these days than the LED headlights you already have (had). Same price if not cheaper, wouldn't be surprised.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #3

We have millions of those LED headlights here. I can ask the sellers around for you if they'd be willing to un-pair a kit (I doubt but can try). For info... they sell @ $300 for the pair here if you want them both quickly. Maybe not as good as the Litronic is terms of 'built quality' but those LED headlights do look amazing on the black boxster. Those with the black inner trim anyway.

Happy to help if you're screwed in that mess
Old 02-14-2016, 06:00 AM   #4

I was just about to buy a set of Nine8Six's bi-Xenon kits until I found a good deal on some damaged litronics and renovated them. I ended up buying three headlights to have enough parts to make three good ones. After selling my halogens I was only out around $150 for the upgrade. You can read about my experience (and all the helpful hints from Nine8Six and Particlewave) here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html

I see that Woody (Itsnotanova) is currently parting out a 996 with a good driver's-side litronic headlight. Woody sells his parts at very reasonable prices, so if you can work out a deal with him, you will be half way to a nice pair of litronics. (See post 714 here: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters-36.html)

Check Ebay and Car-Parts.com for the passenger-side light.

Don't rule out Nine8Six's projectors though. They are what Porsche should have originally put on the car.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
We have millions of those LED headlights here. I can ask the sellers around for you if they'd be willing to un-pair a kit (I doubt but can try). For info... they sell @ $300 for the pair here if you want them both quickly. Maybe not as good as the Litronic is terms of 'built quality' but those LED headlights do look amazing on the black boxster. Those with the black inner trim anyway.

Happy to help if you're screwed in that mess
WAIT...WHAT???
Nine8Six what do you mean $300??? I paid $1000 for the set I have. Can you really find me a set for $300 (heck I'm sure that even with shipping I'll make out better buying another set). Let me know asap. I know that the LED headlights don't have the quality of Litronic BUT I really love the way they look. Let me know sir...it's about to get warm here and I'm anxious to drop the top and hit the road :dance:
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 02-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

Already sent a QQ pm to two sellers I know here for ya (in black trims, right?).

Yeah, not all that expansive but by all means do not blame me if they don't fit. Bet you already know how to adjust them anyway (known fix). With shipping (eta 15days) expect a good $75 additional per 10kg which I think is pretty much what they weight.

RE original price: add the container of illegal car parts smuggler's fee, the brooker's, CBP import taxes, the handling and shipping to eBay sellers (the 'middle man' loll), the eBay and Paypal fees, shipping to you by eBay seller and etc etc etc. Yea... add's up quick. That's pretty close to your $800~1000 at your end. You didn't get screwed, you actually got them priced up pretty softly
Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

^ ftw almost (ouch), did that sounded correct?!

Tired buddy, sry. Sending you a pm tmrw when I get the box weight and damage from the post office. I'll get someone to arrange this for you nicely

3 weeks without left headlight... I think you win something here with that situation lolll
Old 02-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Just had a ping back a min ago and the price is for the MKI of the headlights. Asked what's the difference and he mentioned plexi lens and fitment. Do you really care at this point?

mkII are not avail in the black trim. Well this guys doesn't have them anyway, but sure we have them at the car mall (I see them everywhere). MKII retail, ready for it? $500 :/

What is so different about them I don't know, not familiar with the kit, in fact I've never owned, fitted or had to work on them myself.

Thinking about getting you these hallo here at $180 and installing some decent clear glass bi-xenon in them. Mind the eggs? are you in a desperate rush? (no clears to be found atm here, just checked)

Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Already sent a QQ pm to two sellers I know here for ya (in black trims, right?).

Yeah, not all that expansive but by all means do not blame me if they don't fit. Bet you already know how to adjust them anyway (known fix). With shipping (eta 15days) expect a good $75 additional per 10kg which I think is pretty much what they weight.

RE original price: add the container of illegal car parts smuggler's fee, the brooker's, CBP import taxes, the handling and shipping to eBay sellers (the 'middle man' loll), the eBay and Paypal fees, shipping to you by eBay seller and etc etc etc. Yea... add's up quick. That's pretty close to your $800~1000 at your end. You didn't get screwed, you actually got them priced up pretty softly
Yep, definitely the black trim. I guess that I forgot about all of the fees and import/export espionage to get them over here

Let me know what the total costs looks like and what the next steps would look like. Thanks so much for looking into this for me Nine8Six
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 02-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Just had a ping back a min ago and the price is for the MKI of the headlights. Asked what's the difference and he mentioned plexi lens and fitment. Do you really care at this point?

mkII are not avail in the black trim. Well this guys doesn't have them anyway, but sure we have them at the car mall (I see them everywhere). MKII retail, ready for it? $500 :/

What is so different about them I don't know, not familiar with the kit, in fact I've never owned, fitted or had to work on them myself.

Thinking about getting you these hallo here at $180 and installing some decent clear glass bi-xenon in them. Mind the eggs? are you in a desperate rush? (no clears to be found atm here, just checked)

I'm trying to follow you BUT I don't think that I know what MKII means???? lol
Not sure that it matters as I'm just looking for a feasible solution. When I had them installed there didn't appear to be any challenges to get them to fit (of course that's outside of the damn thing just falling out during hard breaking, lol)...

Regarding Halogens, I still have my originals here so I'm not sure about investing in bi-xenon or litronics, etc...worse case scenario I just put the original Hallos back in and wait. I'm not in an incredible rush, if it saves me money I can be patient for another set of LED w/ black trim.

Here are my originals:

Here is where I want to get back to:

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Old 02-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

OK @particlewave ...YOU have me officially excited! Are these bi-xenon headlights?? Where do I get them? How much are they?? Is that angel eye in one?? Can those colors be custom (I see red in one of the photos)?.....They look awesome!!! Please advise.
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Most of the above pictures show Fred's (Nine8Six) CNC aluminum projectors.
The projectors come anodized in many colors. There are 3 different styles and several angel eye color options. Fred is busy with renovations at the moment, but hopefully he will be back to turning aluminum soon.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage

See here...Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
Old 02-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #15
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Holy Moly Batman!!! THOSE ARE NICE!!! I will most certainly see what Fred is up to...if I can get a set of those at a reasonable price....I'm all over it - especially with the angel eye option. They look really good!!! Thanks for the heads up @particlewave ...you guys are the best - my BlackBox will be awesome this Summer!!!!!!
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:

Fred

Curious about the car mall you mention in Shanghai. Where is it? I will be in Shanghai in early March and would love to peruse a parts mall rather than the fakes market?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by imari View Post
Holy Moly Batman!!! THOSE ARE NICE!!! I will most certainly see what Fred is up to...if I can get a set of those at a reasonable price....I'm all over it - especially with the angel eye option. They look really good!!! Thanks for the heads up @particlewave ...you guys are the best - my BlackBox will be awesome this Summer!!!!!!
Looks like you've got showered over by Particlewave (Charles) with pics! Think he meant that you should send him you halogen and he'll take care of them. Unless you are up for the task yourself... you can dwload a DYI manual from the pelican website. I'd get in touch with him if I were you, similar price as if you'd order a LED set from Shanghai.

Regardless, I have a contact here for you standby (MKI=$325+shipping$90). PM me your email addy and I'll forward the info. She is a She btw (Katty, Taiwan chick based in SH). Pay by PayPal and give it 2-3weeks and they'll eventually turn up no worries. She've done that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAP View Post
Curious about the car mall you mention in Shanghai. Where is it? I will be in Shanghai in early March and would love to peruse a parts mall rather than the fakes market?
Hey Mark Nah all the fake markets are closed now :/ You still get the little lady (Sir, watches, bags, Sir, you buy?) from time to time but extra careful as they bring you inside apartments and/or basements to deal. Don't bring your wife/kids inside these places, instead go with a mate. The genuine fake dealer walks very fast, the guy who is going to jab you with horse tranquilizer walks slow and look around a lot (you'll live no worries, they just want your credit cards and cash lolll).

Car market is in Minghang district, right in front of the newly built Porsche Service Center (Google) and the other market is right near by (ask locals for directions when on-site). Nothing of major interest there e.g. little car accessories, carpets, sound systems, replica wheels, exhausts and tips, some performance parts but all the good shop have moved out.

If you are a vendor, you want to go to the Jiading district Car Tech Park where they manufacture pretty much all the complicated parts for automakers around the world. You can get your cast molds, edm, cnc and other mfg means.

The rewal car mall/markets are in Guangzhou and Dong Guan man. You'd have an heart attack if you'd see that

Shanghai is a financial hub now. It's clean (fakes are hard to find I tell ya). Still has good restaurants to go too lollll
Old 02-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Hey Mark Nah all the fake markets are closed now :/ You still get the little lady (Sir, watches, bags, Sir, you buy?) from time to time but extra careful as they bring you inside apartments and/or basements to deal. Don't bring your wife/kids inside these places, instead go with a mate. The genuine fake dealer walks very fast, the guy who is going to jab you with horse tranquilizer walks slow and look around a lot (you'll live no worries, they just want your credit cards and cash lolll).
Fred

Thanks for the warning. Yeah I steer clear of the sellers on the street and stick to the Science and Technology market.

Mark