Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

Alarm Activation Question

When the alarm is activated via key fob, what does the activation sound, sound like? Mine sounds like a very faint 'honk'. Seriously!

2001 Boxster S: Triple Black, Sport Package, Special Chasis Rigidly Tuned, Headlight Washers, Turbo Wheels, Litronics, Full Leather, 03 Top, Sumitomo HTR ZIII, IMS/RMS, Kenwood KDC-BT562U, DEPO Tails, Cocomats, KUDA Cellphone Holder, Ultimate Cupholders, Zaino Shine

PCA-MAGNOLIA
fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

If I remember correctly from the manual and various threads about this, the car doesn't sound when the alarm is (de)activated.

It honks when something is not closed completely, and that could be your center console storage or gas cap. My gas cap is broken, so it honks every time I lock the car, which is great audible confirmation for me.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

No honks - alarm activated (flashers show twice for locked; once for unlocked)

One honk - something isn't closed

Two honks - fault in the central locking system
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
It will also honk if you double push the lock button and that deactivates the alarm, but locks the car

RTFM
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
No honks - alarm activated (flashers show twice for locked; once for unlocked)

One honk - something isn't closed

Two honks - fault in the central locking system
Interesting.. I've checked out everything i could and all appear properly closed...
2001 Boxster S: Triple Black, Sport Package, Special Chasis Rigidly Tuned, Headlight Washers, Turbo Wheels, Litronics, Full Leather, 03 Top, Sumitomo HTR ZIII, IMS/RMS, Kenwood KDC-BT562U, DEPO Tails, Cocomats, KUDA Cellphone Holder, Ultimate Cupholders, Zaino Shine

PCA-MAGNOLIA
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
If you are sure the center console is closed till it clicks and the gas door is good. Then maybe if you have an aftermarket radio the alarm ground could be attached wrong.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 AM   #7

Garage
My alarm does not make any sounds at all when its activated and deactivated. I can only hear the doors locking and unlocking. On your factory radio you should see a flashing red light as well when the alarm is set - check if you can see the red flashing light at least. Also, roll roof up and leave windows down and activate your alarm - stick your hands in the window and try and open the centre console - the alarm should go off. Also if you have the motion detection system it will also go off.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
My alarm does not make any sounds at all when its activated and deactivated. I can only hear the doors locking and unlocking. On your factory radio you should see a flashing red light as well when the alarm is set - check if you can see the red flashing light at least. Also, roll roof up and leave windows down and activate your alarm - stick your hands in the window and try and open the centre console - the alarm should go off. Also if you have the motion detection system it will also go off.
Little Red Clip !
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #9

Garage
@Xpit77 -- I own one of those red clips and it doesn't seem to work as it should for some reason. I can still reach in and everything but the alarm doesn't sound for some odd reason. Do the windows need to be in a certain spot or anything else?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #10

Every time it has honked for me it has been the center console, opening and closing it usually resolves the problem for me.

Lately I have been using the key and locking the car with a double twist (or double press of button) to disable the alarm - this was after I had parked the car and left it, and my suction cup gps mount fell off due to heat and triggered the alarm ;0
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #11

I have the little red clip - when the top is down and the clip is on, the motion sensors are armed and if I wave my arms around inside the car the alarm goes off.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
The red clip is to fool the system to think the top is up when it is down so the interior alarm sensors (alien eyes) will be active. You can also just push the switch with your finger, wait for the windows to roll up and turn off the car.

The interior sensors are not super sensitive and take a few seconds to react
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins View Post
When the alarm is activated via key fob, what does the activation sound, sound like? Mine sounds like a very faint 'honk'. Seriously!
Get the alarms system scanned with either the Durametric or factory diagnostic systems, it should list the last ten alarm fault point locations.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
If you are sure the center console is closed till it clicks and the gas door is good. Then maybe if you have an aftermarket radio the alarm ground could be attached wrong.
Just had a Kenwood unit put in. But that honk was there prior to that... Thanks

PCA-MAGNOLIA
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Get the alarms system scanned with either the Durametric or factory diagnostic systems, it should list the last ten alarm fault point locations.
Thank you, will give that a try also

PCA-MAGNOLIA
Old 08-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Have the same problem.

I had the car scanned with a Durametric, but it did not find anything wrong. The door, frunk, trunk, and center console sensors were fine. The radio's alarm light flashes. What's this you say about the gas cap???
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #17

Garage
alarm

I had a mouse build a small nest in the frunk latch hole.
Alarm would honk or go to full alert.
Removed beginnings of nest no more problems.
Pat M
2000 S speed Yellow

PatM is offline   Reply With Quote