986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Alarm Activation Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58508-alarm-activation-question.html)

fins 08-27-2015 07:38 PM

Alarm Activation Question
 
When the alarm is activated via key fob, what does the activation sound, sound like? Mine sounds like a very faint 'honk'. Seriously!

hancock1701 08-27-2015 07:47 PM

If I remember correctly from the manual and various threads about this, the car doesn't sound when the alarm is (de)activated.

It honks when something is not closed completely, and that could be your center console storage or gas cap. My gas cap is broken, so it honks every time I lock the car, which is great audible confirmation for me.

thom4782 08-27-2015 08:26 PM

No honks - alarm activated (flashers show twice for locked; once for unlocked)

One honk - something isn't closed

Two honks - fault in the central locking system

JayG 08-27-2015 08:27 PM

It will also honk if you double push the lock button and that deactivates the alarm, but locks the car

RTFM

fins 08-27-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 463624)
No honks - alarm activated (flashers show twice for locked; once for unlocked)

One honk - something isn't closed

Two honks - fault in the central locking system

Interesting.. I've checked out everything i could and all appear properly closed...

tommy583 08-27-2015 08:56 PM

If you are sure the center console is closed till it clicks and the gas door is good. Then maybe if you have an aftermarket radio the alarm ground could be attached wrong.

DrCactus 08-28-2015 03:38 AM

My alarm does not make any sounds at all when its activated and deactivated. I can only hear the doors locking and unlocking. On your factory radio you should see a flashing red light as well when the alarm is set - check if you can see the red flashing light at least. Also, roll roof up and leave windows down and activate your alarm - stick your hands in the window and try and open the centre console - the alarm should go off. Also if you have the motion detection system it will also go off.

Xpit77 08-28-2015 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 463644)
My alarm does not make any sounds at all when its activated and deactivated. I can only hear the doors locking and unlocking. On your factory radio you should see a flashing red light as well when the alarm is set - check if you can see the red flashing light at least. Also, roll roof up and leave windows down and activate your alarm - stick your hands in the window and try and open the centre console - the alarm should go off. Also if you have the motion detection system it will also go off.

Little Red Clip !

DrCactus 08-28-2015 06:53 AM

@Xpit77 -- I own one of those red clips and it doesn't seem to work as it should for some reason. I can still reach in and everything but the alarm doesn't sound for some odd reason. Do the windows need to be in a certain spot or anything else?

steved0x 08-28-2015 06:59 AM

Every time it has honked for me it has been the center console, opening and closing it usually resolves the problem for me.

Lately I have been using the key and locking the car with a double twist (or double press of button) to disable the alarm - this was after I had parked the car and left it, and my suction cup gps mount fell off due to heat and triggered the alarm ;0

steved0x 08-28-2015 07:00 AM

I have the little red clip - when the top is down and the clip is on, the motion sensors are armed and if I wave my arms around inside the car the alarm goes off.

JayG 08-28-2015 07:00 AM

The red clip is to fool the system to think the top is up when it is down so the interior alarm sensors (alien eyes) will be active. You can also just push the switch with your finger, wait for the windows to roll up and turn off the car.

The interior sensors are not super sensitive and take a few seconds to react

JFP in PA 08-28-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fins (Post 463613)
When the alarm is activated via key fob, what does the activation sound, sound like? Mine sounds like a very faint 'honk'. Seriously!

Get the alarms system scanned with either the Durametric or factory diagnostic systems, it should list the last ten alarm fault point locations.

fins 08-28-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 463631)
If you are sure the center console is closed till it clicks and the gas door is good. Then maybe if you have an aftermarket radio the alarm ground could be attached wrong.

Just had a Kenwood unit put in. But that honk was there prior to that... Thanks

fins 08-28-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 463672)
Get the alarms system scanned with either the Durametric or factory diagnostic systems, it should list the last ten alarm fault point locations.

Thank you, will give that a try also

PaulDash 08-29-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 463672)
Get the alarms system scanned with either the Durametric or factory diagnostic systems, it should list the last ten alarm fault point locations.

Have the same problem.

I had the car scanned with a Durametric, but it did not find anything wrong. The door, frunk, trunk, and center console sensors were fine. The radio's alarm light flashes. What's this you say about the gas cap???

PatM 08-30-2015 02:47 PM

alarm
 
I had a mouse build a small nest in the frunk latch hole.
Alarm would honk or go to full alert.
Removed beginnings of nest no more problems.
Pat M
2000 S speed Yellow


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website