Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Garage
Need help to identify part for my top

Hi all, I have a 2002 986, yesterday i was cleaning and lubricating the top mechanism, and found this rubber piece in my drainage tray. It is a rubber bushing/grommet piece that is part of the connection of the transmission drive lever to the top "push rod". don't know what the actual name is but it connects the top to the transmission. Looking for a part number or if anyone has a couple of these, figure the other side will go so replace both at same time, seems like that is my experience. Thanks in advance for any help.

img]http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/image1440714821.jpg[/img]

cribfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribfiller View Post
Hi all, I have a 2002 986, yesterday i was cleaning and lubricating the top mechanism, and found this rubber piece in my drainage tray. It is a rubber bushing/grommet piece that is part of the connection of the transmission drive lever to the top "push rod". don't know what the actual name is but it connects the top to the transmission. Looking for a part number or if anyone has a couple of these, figure the other side will go so replace both at same time, seems like that is my experience. Thanks in advance for any help.

Fixed that [img] tag for you.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I need two of these as well.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks particlwave for the help with the photo. So how crucial are these pieces? Obviously they serve a purpose, but what damage will happen with one of them missing?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

986 561 881 00

I just replaced one of these rubber bushings on one side of my boxster. The old one on one side got torn, but hanging on by a thread. It basically pushes the top up when closing the top (and keeps it from falling down abruptly when opening it) and the rubber piece prevents metal-on-metal wear when operating the top, and also gives some compliance. With the rubber part missing the top would have some looseness to it when in between up/down positions. With only one side missing, the top latch may not line up totally centered in its receptacle.

Also you have a soft metal bushing (copper or brass) that might get accelerated wear when operating the top with the rubber piece missing. Part number for the soft metal bushing part is 999 924 039 00.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Thanks for the info
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks, found it in the PP parts catalog, pivot bushing.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

Garage
I agree with Jakeru's statements. Would I or better did I - continue to use my top while waiting on replacements - sure. Would I have done without the replacements that arrived in a few days - no. For a few days the risk was worth it - it might have been used two or three times.

BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote