Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #1

Magnus Walker crashes 911

Pretty scary considering if the ramp on that carrier was a few feet lower, things might have been much worse.

Video: Magnus Walker Slid His 911 Into A Truck With A Reporter Inside

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

I think he crapped his leather pants. Quick hands though... I give it a 9.99 for extremely good luck.

While I was watching that crash clip it was interrupted by the Penzoil ad of the Dodge street racing... LOL.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Don't lift!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Garage
Nice piece of driving there. Lift throttle oversteer is a useful technique in these cars. If you notice in the clip as he first lifts he slides into the oncoming lane. Once rotated he then gets back into the throttle and back into his lane where he is blocked from going into the park by his cameramen. He then accepts his fate and hits the truck. Perfectlap you are correct, very quick hands and thinking!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

I learned that lesson as a teen: Don't show off in front of crowds or camera's, it often ends up in pain and embarrassment !
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I learned that lesson as a teen: Don't show off in front of crowds or camera's, it often ends up in pain and embarrassment !
Did you go to school with this guy?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #7

That idiotic woman reporting hurt me more than seeing the car crash by repeatedly pronouncing PORSHA the wrong way. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

Old 08-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Nice piece of driving there. Lift throttle oversteer is a useful technique in these cars.
Really? I'll be the first to admit I only somewhat understand what lift oversteer is all about...but, looking at the vid as a whole, this still looks like something nutty I'd have done as a high schooler. I'd be surprised if MW would characterize his wheel time that afternoon, overall, as a "nice piece of driving."
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #10

Who knows what his foot was doing once the slide started? He didn't brake. I'm no expert with 911 dynamics but I think if he had of floored it he may have driven out of it. As was the pendulum action beat him as well as a very limited amount of space. PERFECT example of why you don't want to be flitting around the edge of the friction circle with other objects and people around. Can anyone say holy T-bone! A few inches reward and he'd have head trauma. As a victim of such I can tell you if you survive it it can still ruin a business, a marriage and a racing career. Not to mention an ability to think clearly. Some have unstable emotions as well. I hope he realizes how lucky he was. Simple rule on the street; never push to 10/10's with others around. And when on the track; consider that safety equipment is no guarantee especially if you flip a car backwards at 160mph.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

Watch the video a few times and you'll see there's something in the road he's trying to avoid as he pulls left into the oncoming lane. He then pulls back hard to the right to avoid the Mercedes coming at him. It's at that point the ass end breaks loose and comes around on him.

After a couple of seasons driving on the track at various DE events, moving up a few run groups and having my own adventures in car control, I've become pretty humble in critiquing how other guys drive and react to stuff that jumps up in front of them.

I'm just glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Did you go to school with this guy?

Hah! No, for me it usually involved riding a dirt bike after a few beers.......
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Apologies to the groupies, but he should know better than to drive that way on an occupied public road. He was clearly showing off and took that corner too fast...and with a passenger!

What a freakin' moron!

Last edited by particlewave; 08-27-2015 at 05:20 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
After a couple of seasons driving on the track at various DE events, moving up a few run groups and having my own adventures in car control, I've become pretty humble in critiquing how other guys drive...
IMHO, the wisest statement in this thread ^^^^^^.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Watch the video a few times and you'll see there's something in the road he's trying to avoid as he pulls left into the oncoming lane. He then pulls back hard to the right to avoid the Mercedes coming at him. It's at that point the ass end breaks loose and comes around on him.

After a couple of seasons driving on the track at various DE events, moving up a few run groups and having my own adventures in car control, I've become pretty humble in critiquing how other guys drive and react to stuff that jumps up in front of them.

I'm just glad no one was hurt.
Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I'm just not seeing it...unless you're referring to that item (whatever it is) in the road at the end, after he's slid into the truck. There's not much to it...if THAT'S what he was trying to avoid, I personally don't think I'd have swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid. In any case, I think he'd lost the tail end before that came into the picture.

I wasn't trying to disparage the guy, or his driving ability. Really. I haven't the slightest doubt the guy would absolutely drive circles around me (especially in a 911!). And it's totally understandable the trap he let himself fall into, what with all the hoopla that was going on that day, and with the reporter in the car and all. I could see myself showin' off a bit. But bottom line, he just pushed it a bit too hard when he shouldn't have, not under the circumstances.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Apologies to the groupies, but he should know better than to drive that way on an occupied public road. He was clearly showing off and took that corner too fast...and with a passenger!

What a freakin' moron!
Totally agree
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Showboating on the street with cold tires. Magnus knows better. He is a skilled driver but let the red mist get the better of him. Glad everyone walked away from this one.

Last edited by Topless; 08-28-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:21 AM   #18

Garage
He came around the bend, likely too fast, and saw the transporter. What I hadn't seen from the other angles is how far the ramp extended back. That's probably why he lifted off so suddenly.

He should have known the transporter was there, as he had to blindly make the left when they pulled out of the same driveway.

Either way they were very lucky the ramp wasn't a few feet lower.

tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Really? I'll be the first to admit I only somewhat understand what lift oversteer is all about...but, looking at the vid as a whole, this still looks like something nutty I'd have done as a high schooler. I'd be surprised if MW would characterize his wheel time that afternoon, overall, as a "nice piece of driving."
well instead of "slow in, fast out" he did "ooooops... WTF?!!... in, HAIL MARY out"... miraculously he pulled it off. I think a novice in an old 911 who got himself in that same fix would have ended up in a wheel chair or worse. There was zero escape other than the exact way Walker stopped with not an inch to spare. So quick hands or maybe he just closed his eyes and said his prayers...which is the option I would have chosen.

What I want to hear is if Walker deliberately rotated the car so he wasn't hitting the truck head on.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-28-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #20

What a bozo !

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote