Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

3 car guys and a day of 986 projects

I've been focused mainly on mechanical updates to my new 986S over the past couple of months. Which means I've not done any significant cleaning or dealt with a few issues that have been bugging the crap out of me. Today was that day. A buddy of mine is far more OCD than I am, which meant his garage was the perfect place to work on this stuff.

He graciously lent me his driveway, vast arsenal of detailing supplies, chemicals, tools, and microfiber towels (so. many. towels.) to help me fix up the 986S.

Eurobeige. All of the Eurobeige. Plus a fancy lad.

Lots of stuff being removed/broken/?? here

My buddy found something that wasn't properly fastened. Then he found another. So out comes the massive library of correct fasteners to correct these issues. (For which I thank him very much. It would have taken me years to get to this.)

Then these POS eBay ripoff versions of Porsche Tequipment parts have been ugly, cracked warts on the rear end of my car since I bought it. I've been avoiding taking them off as they looked to be a PITA to remove. My buddy was having none of that. Out came the Dremel and a very serious cutoff wheel.

Some fiberglass dust later and that was that.

Immediately better. But then the exhaust tips were disgusting and the muffler was visible. This would not do. No sir. Then I learned the very dangerous phrase of the day: "You know what we could do..." which led to this:

And this led to me under the car with a can of high-temp black paint. And some metal polish with 0000 steel wool followed by wadding polish. Which led to this much improved butt:

There was lots of other cleaning, polishing, vacuuming, and various other small fixes done, in which the phrase "You know what we could do..." was repeatedly used. The end result:

All in, the list of stuff that was done:
-Top cleaned/protected with RaggTopp products
-Wheels fully cleaned front/rear and polished/waxed
-Tires cleaned
-Windscreens snugged up with felt
-Interior detailed
-Seats treated (again) with Lexol
-Car fully washed
-Stupid eBay parts removed from rear apron, muffler painted flat black, tips cleaned/polished
-Correct running light bulb installed in rear lights
-Fasteners replaced in front rain tray area
-Front license plate remounted correctly

A car that finally looks as good as it drives. All the thanks to my buddies for their tools, supplies, and labor.

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

Garage
Looks like a very productive day! Car looks great!!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #3

What a rewarding day of work

What type is your spoiler
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:57 AM   #4

Got a similar day planned next week for my Audi A3 with an OCD friend with every tool. At 202,000 miles it's time to replace both axles and all 4 CV joints. Days and friends like that are great. Envious of that euro beige, been a big fan of the MB equilivent smoke silver a long time.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:33 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Hmmmm. Looks like a chance of rain!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
What a rewarding day of work

What type is your spoiler
I expect it's the pre-painted eBay unit judging by the poor paint quality and even poorer fitment.

Once I recover from all of the mechanical work I've done to it this summer, I'll upgrade to the Cayman unit.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeck View Post
Got a similar day planned next week for my Audi A3 with an OCD friend with every tool. At 202,000 miles it's time to replace both axles and all 4 CV joints. Days and friends like that are great. Envious of that euro beige, been a big fan of the MB equilivent smoke silver a long time.
Nice work. 202k miles on an A3q? Wow!

The Allroad is soon to be for sale. 6MT with a ton of maintenance done (recent clutch/PP/flywheel, control arms, timing belt, all air suspension replaced, SAI, after-run pump, injectors, ignition control modules, etc.)
Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbrsix View Post
Nice work. 202k miles on an A3q? Wow!

The Allroad is soon to be for sale. 6MT with a ton of maintenance done (recent clutch/PP/flywheel, control arms, timing belt, all air suspension replaced, SAI, after-run pump, injectors, ignition control modules, etc.)
202k wasn't easy! Top end engine rebuild with new valves and cams at 160k, these cars eat wheel bearings and spit out timing belts. The FSI engine is probably the modern day equivalent of maintaining a 1960s Alfa. I beat the hell out of it commuting 400 miles a week, only been on the flatbed 2 times (so far!) When it comes time for timing belt service again, I'll probably be looking to replace it with a newer TDI.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

We have a Mk6 TDI in our fleet. I really like it. It's 80% of what my Mk6 GTI offers with 10-12mpg more under nearly any driving condition.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

Garage
Beautiful! Looks like a fun day
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #11

Sounds like lots of progress made. Car looks great!

Looks like you have an aftermarket glass top. Do you know what company made/sold it, and how do you like it?
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I expect it's the pre-painted eBay unit judging by the poor paint quality and even poorer fitment.

Once I recover from all of the mechanical work I've done to it this summer, I'll upgrade to the Cayman unit.
You're going to be sorely disappointed if you think that the Cayman spoiler will be a better fit.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Looks like you have an aftermarket glass top. Do you know what company made/sold it, and how do you like it?
It does. I think it's a Haartz but not positive. I do know that a lint roller works wonders on it.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #14

Garage
I need a friend like that. I start out on one project and then..."You know what I could do..." starts and then something little causes me to have to stop in the middle of a couple projects and forget about it for a few weeks (or months). I need that push to keep going sometimes. I'm the pusher when it comes to my friend's cars, but when it's just me I always drop the ball.

Looks like you had a great time and got a bunch of mini projects done. I love that feeling.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Hmmmm. Looks like a chance of rain!
That's actually smoke in the atmosphere because just under 1000 square miles of WA state is on fire right now. Worst fire season I have ever seen in my 16+ years here.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 AM   #16

Garage
Thumbs up

LOOOKING GOOOD! You are fortunate to have a friend that gets his hands dirty. Most of the P-owners I know rather play golf (I don't play golf). I love those wheels, BBS, I have a set for my 99 waiting to go on with black spokes. I upgraded my rear bumper to a 03-04 unit. I have a SS aftermarket muffler and it looks cool through the rear diffuser. I have had mine going on 3 years. First year was a mechanical fixer, second more cleaning and dyeing interior, I have Boxster Red which fades like crazy! Enjoy! They are a blast to work on. The top looks good with the glass rear window. Plastic replacement is expensive!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

You'll have to post it when you get the wheels mounted; I've been noodling what I might do when it comes time to have these straightened & painted. The body color won't work with gray centers (too much brown in the paint), I don't think I want to go black, but I'd be curious to see them on a car in black with polished lips.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
That's actually smoke in the atmosphere because just under 1000 square miles of WA state is on fire right now. Worst fire season I have ever seen in my 16+ years here.
Well, your car looks great! I have family up in Burlington and Mt Vernon and Sedro Woolley. Beautiful area. Chance of rain every day.

Hope they get that put out.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Is that a 635CSI in the background, or M? Beautiful...

And nice job on the Boxster... turned out great!
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #20

We've had the least amount of rainfall since May I can ever remember living in the PNW. It's unreal. It's like living in SoCal, complete with the dead yards, the smog, and the massive fires...

It's an '86 635i 5 speed. Beautiful, isn't it? Nearly perfect inside and out, and impeccably upgraded. Even has 840ci Brembos tucked away up front behind those 18" AC Schnitzers.

The owner also has an '86 930 that is currently undergoing an engine rebuild. That makes the $ I've incinerated on my car look like chump change.