Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

100 = 135 hp?

1972 Porsche 914 Targa Electric drive 125+mile range | classic cars | Calgary | Kijiji

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

1 hp = 745.699872 watts
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

It would be cool if Tesla sold conversion kits for the most popular sports cars using their style of battery, like covering the whole underside with them. Musk said he plans to spend "staggering" amounts to be able make cheaper batteries and hit lofty vehicle numbers matched only by Henry Ford a 100 years ago.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
It would be cool if Tesla sold conversion kits for the most popular sports cars using their style of battery, like covering the whole underside with them. Musk said he plans to spend "staggering" amounts to be able make cheaper batteries and hit lofty vehicle numbers matched only by Henry Ford a 100 years ago.
That being said - latest reports I've seen show that Tesla only has around $1 billion in cash reserves. That is not a lot for a car company. Very little actually. They can blow through that in no time. So not sure where he is getting the "staggering" amount he wants to spend. There is talk of a stock offering to raise funds, maybe that's part of it.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #5

cheap batteries? dunno about cars, but a great way to make undependable renewables (solar, wind) more viable for the average homeowner.

also dunno how much of a fan I am of standard electric power for cars (living near a potential dam site i don't see hydro as that 'green') but the tech is interesting. 135 hp, but on ASAP, would be fun in that little car - i'd see myself coming out of more than a few corners backwards until I got the hang of it.

Last edited by The Radium King; 08-14-2015 at 12:38 PM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
That being said - latest reports I've seen show that Tesla only has around $1 billion in cash reserves. That is not a lot for a car company. Very little actually. They can blow through that in no time. So not sure where he is getting the "staggering" amount he wants to spend. There is talk of a stock offering to raise funds, maybe that's part of it.
Musk would say "we're cash poor but our assets are huge". Or maybe that's Trump.
I know Musk said something along those lines when the economy fell off a cliff.
But these days I don't think Musk will ever have a problem raising cash, certainly not before an SUV and mid priced sedan hits the market with subsidies in tow. We might be rethinking electric cars entirely soon, crude isn't going to stay cheap forever. And I can't believe how expensive well-appointed SUVs are these days. Teslas will be cross-shopped by the upper middle classes here soon and not just the top 1%.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

Garage
I have lived in California through the Jerry Brown/brownout days and I always wonder how an Intelligent (cough cough)elected official can watch the electrical grid failing and still mandate electric cars! Plugging 38 million electric vehicles into the grid would look like the scene in Christmas vacation when Clarks lights are finally turned on! Also that power comes from mostly natural gas or nuke plants where I live. Coal on the east. Renewable sources are very small players. Big Jake you are excused for being from the generation that thinks that electricity is just magically generated by the plug!!! HAHA!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

Garage
renewable energy

I have the first micro hydro electric plant in the TVA electric system. Low impact
Most of the year I produce 3.2kw 24/7. I use 4 micro turbines, each produce about 800w
Can't get much greener than that.
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
I have the first micro hydro electric plant in the TVA electric system. Low impact
Most of the year I produce 3.2kw 24/7. I use 4 micro turbines, each produce about 800w
That's cool! Did I fail to mention we don't have any water either!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
I have lived in California through the Jerry Brown/brownout days and I always wonder how an Intelligent (cough cough)elected official can watch the electrical grid failing and still mandate electric cars! Plugging 38 million electric vehicles into the grid would look like the scene in Christmas vacation when Clarks lights are finally turned on! Also that power comes from mostly natural gas or nuke plants where I live. Coal on the east. Renewable sources are very small players. Big Jake you are excused for being from the generation that thinks that electricity is just magically generated by the plug!!! HAHA!
Well, renewable is improving in CA.
PG&E's 2012 Electric Delivery Mix

Personally I thing 50% should come from Nuke to cover baseload and the balance from renewable and NG. Never happen in Commiefornia due to regulatory impasse.

If Elon gets the battery storage thing worked out, E cars will be viable. We do a bit of E cart racing and they rock!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Details! Specs? Equipment and build info?!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Is that hydro ?

What is your drop and what type of generators are you using ?

I Live in AL and this is facinating
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Pick your poison.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote