Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #1

Top Alignment

I just had my top replaced. Now when it closes the tab on the passenger side meets on top of the windshield frame instead of going into the slot. I then need to move it into the slot before I can latch it closed. Is there a way to adjust this?

TIA

jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 AM   #2

You'll need some help to do this correctly. Loosen the three attachment bolts on each side of the top and pull up and back on the top. While you're pulling up and back on the top, have your helper retighten the mounting bolts. This should allow the top to fall into place like it did originally. I had to do this when I swapped my '01 top for a '04 top. Took a couple of tries before everything was perfect. Hope this helps.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You'll need some help to do this correctly. Loosen the three attachment bolts on each side of the top and pull up and back on the top. While you're pulling up and back on the top, have your helper retighten the mounting bolts. This should allow the top to fall into place like it did originally. I had to do this when I swapped my '01 top for a '04 top. Took a couple of tries before everything was perfect. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds easy enough. Where are the attachment bolts? I have to loosen the left and right side? Will this change how tight it closes? What are the chances I am going to make it worse? (I have a tendency to do that. lol)
Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Sounds easy enough. Where are the attachment bolts? I have to loosen the left and right side? Will this change how tight it closes? What are the chances I am going to make it worse? (I have a tendency to do that. lol)
Yes, you have to loosen both sides. The top won't move much, but just enough to help with alignment when closing. How tight it closes won't be effected hardly at all. This is just an "adjustment". I had trouble with the center hook just clipping the Plexiglas wind screen between the seats when trying to close the '04 top. By pulling the top up and back, I was able to move the top just enough to clear the windscreen without assistance and the top seemed to seal up better as well. I didn't have any help and had to do mine one side at a time. Took a couple tries to get it right.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Yes, you have to loosen both sides. The top won't move much, but just enough to help with alignment when closing. How tight it closes won't be effected hardly at all. This is just an "adjustment". I had trouble with the center hook just clipping the Plexiglas wind screen between the seats when trying to close the '04 top. By pulling the top up and back, I was able to move the top just enough to clear the windscreen without assistance and the top seemed to seal up better as well. I didn't have any help and had to do mine one side at a time. Took a couple tries to get it right.
Great. Thanks. Where are the mounting bolts located?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Where the top bolts to the roll bar on both sides.