Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
Porscheectomy

Annoying airbag warning labels

How have you removed the airbag warning labels from your sun visors? I mean, come on, a label on one side directing you to the other side? What's up with that?

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

I think I found the answer to My own question here,

Visor airbag stickers

I didn't realize it was a sticker. It looks like it's printed directly to the plastic.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
bmussatti

I took mine off a couple weeks ago. It was pretty easy. Just be patient. I used denatured alcohol and a small white terry cloth towel. I worked with the visors in-place. Takes a little rubbing and a little soaking/saturation time. Don't let any of the little bits of wet sticker get on your leather or dash.

When I was done, I wiped off the visors with some vinyl conditioner.

This increased HP by about 3.5!!!! Really
Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #4

that's the key: denatured alcohol. and they are NOT stickers, they're silk screened. it's much easier to do if you remove the mirrors from the visors (they pop right out).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
that's the key: denatured alcohol. and they are NOT stickers, they're silk screened. it's much easier to do if you remove the mirrors from the visors (they pop right out).
So what is it, silk screened or sticker? You wouldn't be able to peel anything off if it's silk screened right to the visor.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
So what is it, silk screened or sticker? You wouldn't be able to peel anything off if it's silk screened right to the visor.
Hi,

It's a sticker albeit a very thin one. A note of Caution: Removing these stickers could make you liable if you ever sell the Car or someone is hurt while driving with you. In a litigation, an Attorney will argue that you tampered with the Safety Equipment of the Car - a stretch I grant you, but we're talkin' Attorneys here. In any event, it will cost you $$ to defend your action. If selling the Car, be sure to note this in the Bill of Sale - Safe over Sorry...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

It's a sticker albeit a very thin one. A note of Caution: Removing these stickers could make you liable if you ever sell the Car or someone is hurt while driving with you. In a litigation, an Attorney will argue that you tampered with the Safety Equipment of the Car - a stretch I grant you, but we're talkin' Attorneys here. In any event, it will cost you $$ to defend your action. If selling the Car, be sure to note this in the Bill of Sale - Safe over Sorry...

I really don't believe that arguement would hold water.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
I don't know lawyers will sue over just about anything. I just bought a new tub for my house and it came with a sticker that said "CAUTION - Do not throw out baby with bath water."

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #9

MNBoxster!!

Jim, your PM box is full.

The check is in the mail for your visors!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi,

Don't be so sure. Technically (and that's the World Attorneys live in), these stickers are part of the Safety Equipment of the Car. An Attorney would of course be trying to get to your Insurance Co. through you - the Deep Pockets.

I used to work for a multi-Billion dollar Company which was Self-Insured - Hyatt Hotels. As an EVP, I spent fully 40-60 Hrs. annually in classes run by Attorneys teaching us to look for ways to avoid liability. They literally took the most mundane ordinary things and showed how you could be sued over them.

As an example, Hyatt, like every other major chain used to put adhesive anti-slip strips in their Bath Tubs. It was found that the incidence of people falling in the Tubs did not decline, but rather that the Hotel assumed a liability by placing the strips. The reasoning was that the Hotel recognized a hazard, but addressed it insufficiently - people still fell, making them liable for negligence. Turned out it was better (read cheaper) to eliminate the strips altogether and just pay for the guests' medical charges rather than additional awards for negligence. Also, buy any extension Ladders lately? Seemingly half of their strength comes from the myriad of warning labels stuck to them. Yet invariably, someone always climbs and stands on the Top Rung, falls, and sues the manufacturer.

It's only prudent that if you remove them, that you note this in a Bill of Sale - that they are missing. This way, you have cautioned the Buyer that the condition exists and are not therefore negligent...

Old 04-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
MNBoxster!!

Jim, your PM box is full.

The check is in the mail for your visors!
Randall,

I just cleaned it out. Give me your address and I'll post them on Tues. I'll follow up with a tracking # in a PM to you...

Old 04-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #12

3M adhesive remover will take them off in 1/10th the time - just be sure not to soak in this stuff. Just use it on a rag and watch the silk screening peel off.

Use a vinyl conditioner afterwards.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #13

3M adhesive remover takes them off??? Lawyers or labels. I used denatured alcohol on my labels. Wonder which removes lawyers better?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #14

I'm so happy I found this thread. Lately those gaudy stickers have been irritating me. They look like Ghostbuster stickers! They're coming off.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
3M adhesive remover will take them off in 1/10th the time - just be sure not to soak in this stuff. Just use it on a rag and watch the silk screening peel off.

Use a vinyl conditioner afterwards.
You can also use goo-gone. That's what I did. Make sure to remove them before you start. That stuff gets all over the place.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

It's so nice to not have those yellow stickers screaming at you every time you get in the car.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #17

Thatlooks really good, much cleaner. They actually bother me more with the top down for some reason.

So what did you end up using to get them off? I haven't found the 3M locally.

I was ready to do this but now concerned about the legal issues, not that I'm planning on selling the car ever.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #18

As soon as I get some good weather here on a weekend... I'm going to go clean the PEEEIISSSSSS out of my car... and I think I'll also remove these ugly looking labels. I'll try to pick up some 3M Adhesive Remover... it seems to be the best chemical for the job.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
Thatlooks really good, much cleaner. They actually bother me more with the top down for some reason.

So what did you end up using to get them off? I haven't found the 3M locally.

I was ready to do this but now concerned about the legal issues, not that I'm planning on selling the car ever.
I bought the 3m adhesive remover and it worked OK but I actually had much better luck with alcohol. I took the visors off the car. Then wet a rag with alcohol and let it sit on the label for about 2 minutes and carfully peeled the sticker off.

There's still a residue from the sticker adhesive when you do it this way. The best thing that I found to remove the residue is (gasp) laquer thinner. It made me pretty nervous at first but it turned out great. I tried the 3m stuff and it just didn't seem to get all of it off, plus the 3m stuff needed alot more rubbing, which can stretch the vinyl. I just gently rubbed the sticker area with a thinner-soaked rag until the shiney residue was totally gone.

After removing the adhesive, I ran across the visor with a coat of Mother's Back to Black and everything looks great.

I don't think the legality arguement makes any sense.